Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know where I want to live (with my US partner, to complicate things) Watch

I have lived in several cities in the UK, and after going through a long phase of hating the UK I feel quite happy living in London, and feel I could also easily move back to where I studied, Edinburgh.

The problem is that my boyfriend is American and also a resident of Argentina, and his masters student visa expires in April. We are planning on marrying, but even so I am not eligible for him to live here. I don't earn £18,500 a year and I'm self-employed. The new laws brought out by Theresa May have meant that we can't live here, despite wanting to.

The other options are New York--I am pro, he is against as he'd rather not live in the US anymore--hates the blocks in cities. Denmark is possibility, though I have no idea how either of us could move there. Argentina is a very tangible possibility, but having visited several times I don't feel I could be happy there. Unsafe, I can't drive so would be fully dependent on my partner, few opportunities.

I'm a freelance writer and he is a photojournalist, btw. Whatever we do is inevitably going to be freelance work.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you both work freelance then presumably you can live anywhere? Just pick someone and go, see how it goes, if you don't like it then move somewhere else. I would love that kind of freedom, I'd move to Iceland or Berlin.

(Original post by Snufkin)
    If you both work freelance then presumably you can live anywhere? Just pick someone and go, see how it goes, if you don't like it then move somewhere else. I would love that kind of freedom, I'd move to Iceland or Berlin.
    Would love to say yes, but as a non-EU citizen, him acquiring a working visa as a freelance artist is pretty tough.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Go somewhere smaller in the US? I've visited New York a lot of times (my wife's family lives there) and I wouldn't want to live there. But I've lived in other places in the US and really liked them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.