Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suggestions on best way to revise for sociology AQA A level Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently in A2 year of sociology A-level and am really struggling. Firstly, it is the new examination specification so I have very limited (one specimen paper) for past paper material.
    I am doing families and households, beliefs, crime and deviance, theories and methods and education. I am struggling to achieve above a C in any essays so does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to structure and evaluate in as essay.
    Also, there seems so much material to learn does anyone have any suggestions on how to revise the many sociologists and theories. Especially in beliefs which I am struggling to get my head around.
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in the same position as you at the moment and I have found a few very useful resources when it comes to revising. Firstly, revision guides, such as those from CGP help tremendously and lay out the information you have to learn in one place. If you are not a fan of using text books to revise then you could check out some YouTube videos on your sociology spec, one channel I would recommend, which I personally find very helpful, is 'Alexandra Sugden' who has webinars on many different topics of sociological debate. When you are trying to learn the theories make sure that you fully understand them and what they mean rather than just memorising them, that way you can ensure that they stick in your mind.
    I've had the same problem as you when it comes to writing long mark essays, especially the new 30 markers, however, my teacher has helped me and one of the main techniques required to get top marks is to fully relate your answer to the item and, rather than just quoting it occasionally, break it down bit by bit and evaluate the information whilst relating it to the question.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I feel the same im doing crime, media, family, theories and methods and education! What helps me is practising the 10,20 and 30 mark questions and nailing the structure. They are the analyse and evaluate questions that carry the most marks so keep practising them even if you don't enjoy writing them. I quite like the evaluate questions as j find it easier looking at both sides. Then j submit the questions to my teacher and she'll grade them. If you learn what the examiner picks up on, you just need to learn the stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.