Turn on thread page Beta

Help!! Which A Level subjects to focus on for CompSci? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently pursuing my as level course in preparation of becoming a compsci student. Which subjects are an absolute must for this course?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Maths.
    Without a doubt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolnerdave)
    I'm currently pursuing my as level course in preparation of becoming a compsci student. Which subjects are an absolute must for this course?
    Maths is the absolute must for this course. For a competitive application you'd also want further maths/physics and computer science.

Check your prospective uni's website for specifics because some are different.

"ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
    For some courses, Mathematics. For some courses Computing/ Computer Science.

USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Computing/Computer Science, Physics, Philosophy, ICT." - (From http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5457...oices-2016.pdf)

ReputationRep:
    Maths is the most important and is a prerequisite of some universities. Other than that computing is the most useful physics is also complementary though hardly necessary. Personally I did maths, computing and history.

ReputationRep:
    I think the best a levels to take would be maths, further maths and physics. Computer science is a nice a level but not really necessary, maths is much more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    Maths is the absolute must for this course. For a competitive application you'd also want further maths/physics and computer science.

Check your prospective uni's website for specifics because some are different.

"ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
    For some courses, Mathematics. For some courses Computing/ Computer Science.

USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Computing/Computer Science, Physics, Philosophy, ICT." - (From http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5457...oices-2016.pdf)
    Thanks for the link! Now I know which subject to focus on the most

ReputationRep:
    Order of preference would be Maths/Further Maths/Computer Science/Physics. If you excel at Maths then take Further Maths - if you apply to the better unis that puts you ahead of the competition.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.