Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acceptable to continue interviewing after accepting a job offer? Watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    After 4 months of searching I finally got a job offer last Thursday from a company on a pretty reasonable salary. I accepted the same day as they mentioned via email they wanted an answer asap. They then asked for references and said they'll have the paperwork sent out to me next week. The same day I get called up by a previous company I applied to calling me in for an interview next week which I accepted. This new interview/company is a much better opportunity for me, better company/pay etc. but I'm conflicted at the moment. Should I go to the interview or tell them to withdraw my application? Or tell them the truth and say I would like to attend the interview but I HAVE accepted a job offer which I haven't signed yet.

    Any advice appreciated.
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDUC4TION)
    After 4 months of searching I finally got a job offer last Thursday from a company on a pretty reasonable salary. I accepted the same day as they mentioned via email they wanted an answer asap. They then asked for references and said they'll have the paperwork sent out to me next week. The same day I get called up by a previous company I applied to calling me in for an interview next week which I accepted. This new interview/company is a much better opportunity for me, better company/pay etc. but I'm conflicted at the moment. Should I go to the interview or tell them to withdraw my application? Or tell them the truth and say I would like to attend the interview but I HAVE accepted a job offer which I haven't signed yet.

    Any advice appreciated.
    If the job that you are going for an interview for next week is a better opportunity, then go to the interview. Dont withdraw the first offer yet- you might not get the second one. You are perfectly entitled to go for other interviews- you havent signed anything for the first one yet. And if you do get offered the second one, just decline the first, thank them for offering you the job and explain that someone else has offered you another job (you dont have to go into detail)
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDUC4TION)
    After 4 months of searching I finally got a job offer last Thursday from a company on a pretty reasonable salary. I accepted the same day as they mentioned via email they wanted an answer asap. They then asked for references and said they'll have the paperwork sent out to me next week. The same day I get called up by a previous company I applied to calling me in for an interview next week which I accepted. This new interview/company is a much better opportunity for me, better company/pay etc. but I'm conflicted at the moment. Should I go to the interview or tell them to withdraw my application? Or tell them the truth and say I would like to attend the interview but I HAVE accepted a job offer which I haven't signed yet.

    Any advice appreciated.
    I agree entirely with Emma:-) Keep your options open!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks. Should I tell the the interviews that I have a pending offer with someone else though? The main issue is time, as I will need to sign and return the contract for the first job at some point next week as the start date is the following week, but what if the interviewers for job#2 take a week or so to get back to me with their decision and then offer me the job? It then becomes a situation of leaving a job before it even begins.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDUC4TION)
    Ok thanks. Should I tell the the interviews that I have a pending offer with someone else though? The main issue is time, as I will need to sign and return the contract for the first job at some point next week as the start date is the following week, but what if the interviewers for job#2 take a week or so to get back to me with their decision and then offer me the job? It then becomes a situation of leaving a job before it even begins.
    Then you will have a *nice* problem. And usually you only have to give a week's notice during your probationary period. So it won't be a huge problem after all.

    And yes, if job#2 interviewers ask then tell them. But also tell them you prefer their role, assuming it's true of course.

    Straight talking is always a good skill to have (and many people find it difficult).

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDUC4TION)
    After 4 months of searching I finally got a job offer last Thursday from a company on a pretty reasonable salary. I accepted the same day as they mentioned via email they wanted an answer asap. They then asked for references and said they'll have the paperwork sent out to me next week. The same day I get called up by a previous company I applied to calling me in for an interview next week which I accepted. This new interview/company is a much better opportunity for me, better company/pay etc. but I'm conflicted at the moment. Should I go to the interview or tell them to withdraw my application? Or tell them the truth and say I would like to attend the interview but I HAVE accepted a job offer which I haven't signed yet.

    Any advice appreciated.
    You can go to the second set of interviews, but I wouldn't mention you have an offer elsewhere. Some companies are very black and white about this sort of thing and they treat others as they would wish to be treated, and won't progress someone who has an offer elsewhere. Under the guise of asking about how their process will progress, I'd say something like 'I'm at an advanced stage with another company'. this shows you are considered a competitive candidate, but avoids the impression of them poaching, or a very mercenary approach by yourself. It might not be a nuance necessary at junior recruitment levels, but it certainly is in more senior roles.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks guys I will see how the interview goes and handle it accordingly.
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    Good luck for your interview.

    I agree with the others - go to the interview and don't give away more information than you have to (to either employer). If it happens that you start the new job before you get offered the 2nd job, normally you will get a probation period at the start of the new job, meaning you can leave with only one week's notice so it won't be a massive issue if this situation does arise.
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

    Articles and guides:

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

    Featured recruiter profiles:

    CGI logo

    CGI is open for applications

    "Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

    Deutsche Bank logo

    Deutsche Bank is recruiting

    "Thrive in an international banking environment"

    ICAEW logo

    Merck

    "Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

    Army logo

    The Army is recruiting now

    "With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Quick links:

    Unanswered career sector and employment threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.