Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a top spec VW Golf R, AMA Watch

ReputationRep:
    2015 MK7 R, 300ps

AMA

ReputationRep:
    Why spunk about £40K on something which will depreciate so heavily in its first two years, when you could have got something like a Ford RS with similar performance and much better residual?

What was your insurance like, by the way. You can't be under about 30 years old in order to get something like this insured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Why spunk about £40K on something which will depreciate so heavily in its first two years, when you could have got something like a Ford RS with similar performance and much better residual?

What was your insurance like, by the way. You can't be under about 30 years old in order to get something like this insured.
    I bought it used at around 12k miles and paid 24k cash (last April). The extras amount to 8k. Insurance is less than 2k with my brother and dad as named drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk7R.)
    I bought it used at around 12k miles and paid 24k cash (last April). Insurance is less than 2k with my brother and dad as named drivers.
    What sort of mpg do you get out of it, real life. I'm assuming about 22-25?

ReputationRep:
    What sort of mpg do you get out of it, real life. I'm assuming about 22-25?
    I have the DSG automatic gearbox, can realistically do 38-40mpg runs on Shell V-power. Don't keep track but the fuel costs do kill me

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you buy a Mazda RX-7?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    What did you have for breakfast?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nice car.
    What do you do for a living mate?

ReputationRep:
    However fast it goes, you're not gonna pick up girls with a golf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was tempted by 'Will it rain tomorrow in Staines' as a valid AMA response.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted by 'Will it rain tomorrow in Staines' as a valid AMA response.
    Well indeed that would be useful to know. But Google tells me it's a 50% chance

I still want to know if OP had muesli or cornflakes or porridge or a full English.

Tells a lot about a chap.

Especially one driving a Golf R.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does it bother you that because of Leasing deals every single ned (chav) with more than 2p to their name seems to have a golf R.

Serious question - I was tempted by a S3 but was put off my the number of them and Rs about driven so badly it was clear they were leased, that and they're all white/red.

ReputationRep:
    Well indeed that would be useful to know. But Google tells me it's a 50% chance

I still want to know if OP had muesli or cornflakes or porridge or a full English.

Tells a lot about a chap.

Especially one driving a Golf R.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PRSOM.

I was going to go for a McMuffin, which seemed to fit with a Golf R. Muesli...hmm. Maybe a hybrid? (This could be a great new thread: Match the Breakfast Choice to the Car)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM.

I was going to go for a McMuffin, which seemed to fit with a Golf R. Muesli...hmm. Maybe a hybrid? (This could be a great new thread: Match the Breakfast Choice to the Car)
    I quite like some performance VWs. My Corrado VR6 was the 2nd best car I ever had.

(Back then it would have been shreddies I think.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Why didn't you buy a Mazda RX-7?
    Not into them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk7R.)
    Not into them
    Nooooo!

Does the Golf sound as good as the R32?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eggs benedict with tea and 4 custard creams

ReputationRep:
    I quite like some performance VWs. My Corrado VR6 was the 2nd best car I ever had.

(Back then it would have been shreddies I think.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A Corrado!! Yes!! Back in the day, I had a early V6 4Motion. Absolutely loved it. Didn't love the efficiency, but that didn't seem to matter then.

What was your 1st best car then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk7R.)
    Eggs benedict with tea and 4 custard creams
    Now that is what I call an extravagant breakfast. Almost bacchanalian, with the custard creams just casually tossed in there, BECAUSE I DAMN WELL CAN.

Respect to you.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    A Corrado!! Yes!! Back in the day, I had a early V6 4Motion. Absolutely loved it. Didn't love the efficiency, but that didn't seem to matter then.

What was your 1st best car then?
    V6s ftw

VX220. Pure joy.

Only a 4 pot, but faster than a fast thing, especially on the twisties. Weighed less than a cigarette paper with a 2.2 mid engine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
Today on TSR

Ask the experts

Advice on your uni application, apprenticeships, getting a job, dropping out of uni and more...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.