Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cleaning equipment that's been in contact with ethanoic anhydride? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For my AH chemistry project I've been making aspirin using ethanoic anhydride and I'm not sure what to do with the beakers and syringes that I've used to get the ethanoic anhydride. Since it reacts with water I don't know how to wash the beakers (they still have ethanoic anhydride in them). I know this is really stupid, but it'd help a lot! 😊
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by science-geek)
    For my AH chemistry project I've been making aspirin using ethanoic anhydride and I'm not sure what to do with the beakers and syringes that I've used to get the ethanoic anhydride. Since it reacts with water I don't know how to wash the beakers (they still have ethanoic anhydride in them). I know this is really stupid, but it'd help a lot! 😊
    large excess of water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    large excess of water
    Since it reacts heavily with water, will a reaction still occur?

ReputationRep:
    That is why there is an excess.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Reacting with excess water in a hood would be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.