Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Who said she was tryna be sexy ?
    I have only read a few pages of this thread, but a lot of guys seem to be making out that it is sexy. Just affirming that, in this particular case, it was most definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    don't wear bras then unless you're going for exercise because then it'll hurt.

if you do wear a bra, go to an actual good bra shop and get the right size. too many people resort to wrong bras because they don't wanna seem too big or too small but you'll just ruin your breasts if you're wearing the wrong bra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I have only read a few pages of this thread, but a lot of guys seem to be making out that it is sexy. Just affirming that, in this particular case, it was most definitely not.
    I see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    myth: "...wearing a bra... has no medical necessity whatsoever", says Susan M. Love, M.D in her "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book"

"while bras do give breasts support, they do not ultimately prevent your breasts from sagging. Gravity will eventually take its effect."

''Society has taught us that there is something a bit disgusting or wrong about breasts that aren't bound. When this kind of thinking has been pumped into you since day 1, it's obviously very difficult to overcome."

Breasts must be bound to be beautiful or normal? Boobs aren't indecent or obscene and everybody has nipples..
    Whilst wearing a bra is usually uncomfortable for me and I always go without one when I'm at home, I wear one for support, my clothes look better, I don't have to worry about my nipples showing through or my boobs bouncing uncontrollably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    In this day and age, the only reason people rally against covering-up is because they supposedly detest objectification, when in fact "freeing the nipple" would do exactly that - objectify. These are the same people who go to women's marches and say they're "beautiful" and "sexy" while rallying against exactly that. Third-wave feminism is full of contradictions.
    Not entirely true. My girlfriend spends most of her time in the flat naked, I don't think about her in a sexual way unless we're getting jiggy with it.

Anecdotal? Totes. But if I can look at my girlfriend, who I love with all my heart and think she is the most beautiful creature upon this earth (apart from the Venezuelan Poodle Moths, those guys are the business), whilst she is stark naked, and not want to immediately jump her bones (not to say that that doesn't happen, just that it doesn't happen perpetually)... then why would anyone want to do so to a total stranger who merely isn't wearing a bra?

Besides, the main point about freeing the nipple is highlighting a long-standing double-standard: a womans' nipple is inappropriate and must be covered, wherein a mans' nipple is not and can be shown. In other words, a man can go completely shirtless and nobody would bat an eyelid, a woman would go completely shirtless and eyebrows would be raised.

So the Free The Nipple campaign is a criticism on society. A female breast has no function other than to provide nourishment for offspring. The bit about it being sexy? That's all made up. We created it. You may find breasts sexy, I find breasts sexy, men and women all over the world find breasts sexy... but why? There's nothing about them that's inherently sexy, ergo, they cannot be considered socially inappropriate enough to warrant covering up.

Some men have boobs. Moobs innit. They don't get covered up. Why not? What's the difference between a guy with boobs and a woman with boobs other than what equipment they've got several inches below said boobs? And if the boobs are the issue, not what they've got between their legs, then why don't man boobs get covered up? So it seems as though this runs a bit deeper than simply the covering of a nipple, which is also what the FTN movement is protesting against.

There are people in various cultures on the planet that find the notion of breasts being sexy to be odd, so it's obviously not a human thing on a planetary scale... therefore it must be geographically social (I don't know if that phrase makes sense, but I'm sure you get my point).
    Personally, I find that quite interesting. And I'd very much like to know why breasts are considered sexy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    This is the problem though. So what? Why does that matter? I'm sure my nipples sometimes show through my clothing when I am just wearing a t-shirt.
    You honestly wouldn't find it weird to see a woman with visible nipples?

Interesting. Personally I don't like the look and wouldn't wear it outside the house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    You honestly wouldn't find it weird to see a woman with visible nipples?

Interesting. Personally I don't like the look and wouldn't wear it outside the house.
    Well it'd be weird in that it is not something I see everyday but I wouldn't be offended or anything. Dunno why it is any different from seeing cleavage plus I can tell you have boobs anyway -__-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu.dying)
    I can't ever imagine just wandering about braless. Imagine the pain!
    It's actually not that bad!
    #ittybittytittycomittee < where you at? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    myth: "...wearing a bra... has no medical necessity whatsoever", says Susan M. Love, M.D in her "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book"

"while bras do give breasts support, they do not ultimately prevent your breasts from sagging. Gravity will eventually take its effect."

''Society has taught us that there is something a bit disgusting or wrong about breasts that aren't bound. When this kind of thinking has been pumped into you since day 1, it's obviously very difficult to overcome."

Breasts must be bound to be beautiful or normal? Boobs aren't indecent or obscene and everybody has nipples..

So our breasts don't drop to our knees

ReputationRep:
    I honestly feel a bit uncomfortable not wearing one, but i often not wear one at home

ReputationRep:
    How sexist of you!

What if I too wish to wear a bra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyJosh)
    don't wear bras then unless you're going for exercise because then it'll hurt.

if you do wear a bra, go to an actual good bra shop and get the right size. too many people resort to wrong bras because they don't wanna seem too big or too small but you'll just ruin your breasts if you're wearing the wrong bra.

Omg, you're so right. I've been wearing the wrong bra size for 7 years until I went into Victoria's Secrets shop in Stratford shopping centre last month and a sales assistant approached me straightaway and offered to measure me there and then.
    I said No at first because I was 100 per cent sure I was wearing the right bra and I couldn't be bothered to take my clothes off but she said I didn't need to, I only had to open my jacket not take it off so it was so quick and easy to be measured and I'm so glad I went in that shop.
    I used to wear size 36B so I was so shocked to be told I'm a 36DD. I couldn't believe it. I'd be wearing the same wrong size for years to come if I had not been measured so every girl/woman should go in that shop and get measured. I could not find anything I liked in my size in there but a few days later I went to Primark and found quite a few bra's in big sizes in there and they were nice, classy one's and much cheaper than the other shop.
    Also I could not believe how many schoolgirls were searching for stuff in Victoria's Secrets too, I thought that shop was just for adults and sexy lingerie which is why I've never made a habit to go in there before but they had a sale sign on so I thought I'd take a look.
    But when I'm at home I don't like to wear bra's but only if I have to go out

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes go braless but they do provide nice support. I couldn't go without some sort of bra if I know I'm going to be pretty active.

Wearing a bra also shows a nicer figure.

Don't like nipples being seen through the top. It's distracting even if it's on a guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    I sometimes go braless but they do provide nice support. I couldn't go without some sort of bra if I know I'm going to be pretty active.

Wearing a bra also shows a nicer figure.

Don't like nipples being seen through the top. It's distracting even if it's on a guy.
    Wearing a bra can sometimes ruin an outfit though

ReputationRep:
    I have quite small boobs, so growing braless is much more comfy!
    It feels more free and often no one notices. If it's a particularly cold date, it's just like an added accessory to your top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Wearing a bra can sometimes ruin an outfit though
    Haven't had that happen before really. If you use the right bra it should only look better. Only time it would would be one of those dresses with really low plunge that basically only cover your nipples

ReputationRep:
    Jeff Foxworthy:

"You might just be a redneck if your wedding dress is strapless and your bra isn't."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    I've been doing it all the time in the winter! Thanks!

I find it weird how social occasions require you to wear one and also the business world's dress code..

Do you have to wear a nursing bra when pregnant?
    Some people recommend wearing non-wired bras during pregnancy, as breasts can become more tender than usual due to all the hormonal changes. I didn't really find this was too much of an issue so wore normal bras all the way through. But nursing bras are primarily for, well, nursing, so are both non-wired and have some kind of front opening/clips to allow easy access. I can't say I'm a fan - not as supportive and there's not a great range of styles unless you pay £££ - but it's got to be done. It'll be nice to be back in regular bras once I finish breastfeeding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge Jules)
    Omg, you're so right. I've been wearing the wrong bra size for 7 years until I went into Victoria's Secrets shop in Stratford shopping centre last month and a sales assistant approached me straightaway and offered to measure me there and then.
    I said No at first because I was 100 per cent sure I was wearing the right bra and I couldn't be bothered to take my clothes off but she said I didn't need to, I only had to open my jacket not take it off so it was so quick and easy to be measured and I'm so glad I went in that shop.
    I used to wear size 36B so I was so shocked to be told I'm a 36DD. I couldn't believe it. I'd be wearing the same wrong size for years to come if I had not been measured so every girl/woman should go in that shop and get measured. I could not find anything I liked in my size in there but a few days later I went to Primark and found quite a few bra's in big sizes in there and they were nice, classy one's and much cheaper than the other shop.
    Also I could not believe how many schoolgirls were searching for stuff in Victoria's Secrets too, I thought that shop was just for adults and sexy lingerie which is why I've never made a habit to go in there before but they had a sale sign on so I thought I'd take a look.
    But when I'm at home I don't like to wear bra's but only if I have to go out
    Ya but VS sizes are small AF. I bet they wouldn't have my size
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by prazzyjazzy)
    Ya but VS sizes are small AF. I bet they wouldn't have my size
    VS underwear is ****. THEY LOOK BOMB, BUT THE QUALITY ISN'T GREAT AT ALL.

The bras are nice, but most of them have way too much padding.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.