Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm thinking about applying for an MA course in England in 2018/19 and, although I realise many things may change by then even if you'd answer according to this year's regulation, it would help me a great deal to see what to expect.

I've read that (among other things) I must not have begun an MA beforehand and must not have previously received any PG loan payments in order to be eligible.

In Hungary we have the option of having 'passive semesters' (two in a row at most). This means that our enrollment (and consequently our student) status is put on hold. In that time we don't receive any student loan payments or scholarships and neither have any other rights we normally would as an active student such as discounts etc. However our enrollment status is only suspended and would be terminated only if we'd decide to drop out completely or not change it back to 'active' in a year's time. (So if I were to choose to complete the course after said year, I could.)
    If I were to start a Master's program in Hungary to have as a back-up plan and (in case my application to the chosen university in England is accepted next year) suspend my studies, would that make me ineligible as technically speaking, I will have started an MA course or would I still be eligible as I would not have an active student status and would not be actively studying in a Master's program during that year?
    (I'm guessing suspending your studies is possible in the UK as well in a similar way and it would be too big of a loophole but it never hurts to ask, right? :) )

My other question is about previous postgraduate loans. Does that refer to previous loans received specifically from SFE or does that also apply to loans I may receive in Hungary? In our case if we enroll in an MA program in Hungary and choose the government financed form (officially called a scholarship that the government pays directly to the university), according to the contract we sign at the start of it in exchange for the scholarship we either have to work here for a certain amount of time or repay the scholarship in full.

Thanks in advance (and apologies for the redundant explanation)!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuailnge)
    Hi there,

I'm thinking about applying for an MA course in England in 2018/19 and, although I realise many things may change by then even if you'd answer according to this year's regulation, it would help me a great deal to see what to expect.

I've read that (among other things) I must not have begun an MA beforehand and must not have previously received any PG loan payments in order to be eligible.

In Hungary we have the option of having 'passive semesters' (two in a row at most). This means that our enrollment (and consequently our student) status is put on hold. In that time we don't receive any student loan payments or scholarships and neither have any other rights we normally would as an active student such as discounts etc. However our enrollment status is only suspended and would be terminated only if we'd decide to drop out completely or not change it back to 'active' in a year's time. (So if I were to choose to complete the course after said year, I could.)
    If I were to start a Master's program in Hungary to have as a back-up plan and (in case my application to the chosen university in England is accepted next year) suspend my studies, would that make me ineligible as technically speaking, I will have started an MA course or would I still be eligible as I would not have an active student status and would not be actively studying in a Master's program during that year?
    (I'm guessing suspending your studies is possible in the UK as well in a similar way and it would be too big of a loophole but it never hurts to ask, right? )

My other question is about previous postgraduate loans. Does that refer to previous loans received specifically from SFE or does that also apply to loans I may receive in Hungary? In our case if we enroll in an MA program in Hungary and choose the government financed form (officially called a scholarship that the government pays directly to the university), according to the contract we sign at the start of it in exchange for the scholarship we either have to work here for a certain amount of time or repay the scholarship in full.

Thanks in advance (and apologies for the redundant explanation)!
    The rules aren't about whether you've STARTED a Masters degree before but about whether you HOLD a Masters degree.

If you don't hold a masters degree and haven't previously claimed a PGL then you'll be eligible for one.

Your eligibility for scholarships from your government (or from any other organisation) also doesn't affect your eligibility for a PGL.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...-can-get-a-PGL explains the details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The rules aren't about whether you've STARTED a Masters degree before but about whether you HOLD a Masters degree.

If you don't hold a masters degree and haven't previously claimed a PGL then you'll be eligible for one.

Your eligibility for scholarships from your government (or from any other organisation) also doesn't affect your eligibility for a PGL.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...-can-get-a-PGL explains the details.
    Thank you, that certainly clears it up, the wording on the site I got my info from was a bit different hence the misunderstanding. Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.