Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If you were 6 then he was 9... I'd let it slide. Yes it was abuse but you were both innocent. If he hasn't done it since then I would not bother bringing it back up, it's just unnecessary and will probably tear the family apart.

He probably hasn't brought it but because he is deeply ashamed... not because he forgot.

ReputationRep:
    If it's bothering you then you should talk to someone - try a helpline if you don't feel comfortable telling someone you know or a family member. Never feel alone xx

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is abuse, a child can abuse another child.

But it's very normal to have some experiences when you're young with people around the same age as you, although being forced to do these types of things I wouldn't say is very normal.

The thing to keep in mind I think is that your Brother was only 9. I don't think it's the sort of thing you'd really bring up in conversation and he probably does remember it but I'd assume he probably feels just as disgusted/creeped out by it as you do.

ReputationRep:
    Sexual abuse doesn't have to mean 1 victim + 1 evil rapist. You can experience sexual abuse and suffer all the consequences of that without needing to label your brother as a bad person. He was only young himself and wouldn't have been able to understand the consequences of what he was doing. He may have forgotten but more likely he's either ashamed or has dismissed it as two kids messing around. If you're finding it hard to deal with I would definitely try and talk to someone, personally I think it would be better not to speak to family just because it's likely to cause a lot of heartache and arguments and given no one is really 'in the wrong' that might be the worst outcome for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they shouldn't bring it up. Age is rarely relevant to sexual abuse and most children know right from wrong. Might not be old enough to be criminally liable as that starts at 10 but at 9 a child generally has capacity to understand right from wrong they can understand when they are trying to force their way for something.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.