The Student Room Group

Self-catering at cambridge?

I'm vegetarian, but more importantly struggled a bit with an eating disorder so eating is complicated. I recovered by a big focus on healthy foods and cooking for myself. Thinking of uni now, and cambridge (natsci) is a dream of mine course-wise, but I've heard there is a lack of self-catering and most people eat in halls.

Which colleges have the best availability of kitchen facilities? (freezer, oven, hob would be ideal but from what I've heard that's very unrealistic 😂 - I could cope with a hob, fridge, and microwave)

And if none of them allow for full self-catering (apparently in some there are minimum meals you have to eat in hall???) how flexible is the food there? I tend to eat small portions of many things which isn't the most cost-effective when buying per item but works if I can cook myself and plan things to eat for a few nights.
Original post by lizzy0100

It will vary in every College depending on where you live ie which building, corridor, house etc. Yes, generally, in order to enable everyone to have a collegiate lifestyle, everyone has to pay something to keep food in Hall cheaper. There are always multiple vegetarian options, and you can ask to change the portion size.

Very little accommodation has full normal kitchen facilities as you usually have at home, maybe if you live in a College house in your second or third years. Adapt and overcome, I've never heard of any student starting to death, whatever their dietary requirements!
Check out applytocambridge.com - there should be info on every college re accommodation and food.

I'm at Newnham and our kitchens have ovens, hobs, microwaves and fridges, and you're allowed fridges/freezers in your room too.
I have experience of Trinity and Pembroke, so I'll weigh in with those:

Trinity's gyp rooms (kitchens) are awful - small and very badly equipped.
Pembroke's are really variable - some of them are massive and have everything you listed, and others are small and only have the basics. Mine this year has a tiny oven, multiple hobs and fridges, and a microwave (and a toastie maker and a kettle). Last year I only had a fridge and a microwave.
Original post by lizzy0100
I'm vegetarian, but more importantly struggled a bit with an eating disorder so eating is complicated. I recovered by a big focus on healthy foods and cooking for myself. Thinking of uni now, and cambridge (natsci) is a dream of mine course-wise, but I've heard there is a lack of self-catering and most people eat in halls.

Which colleges have the best availability of kitchen facilities? (freezer, oven, hob would be ideal but from what I've heard that's very unrealistic 😂 - I could cope with a hob, fridge, and microwave)

And if none of them allow for full self-catering (apparently in some there are minimum meals you have to eat in hall???) how flexible is the food there? I tend to eat small portions of many things which isn't the most cost-effective when buying per item but works if I can cook myself and plan things to eat for a few nights.

You will need to think about the sacrifices you've going to have to make for communal living. If you have a set, you'll probably get a gyp room, which is a small 'kitchen' but in reality is someone you can fix a small snack like a toastie or something, but not somewhere where you could prepare a meal. Some colleges have good self-catering facilities whereas others are rather more sparse. I think it's probably true to say that if you're living in college, you usually end up going to hall mainly, just because it's the easiest (and often cheapest) way to eat. There's usually a very good selection, and if you look at most college websites you can often find a link to their hall menu!
Check out this vlog. SHe's also natsci.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha-rvoVLT4I&t=346s

My daughter did a fair amount of her own cooking, also vegetarian. But meals are important social events. At Girton, her meal plan was very flexible, pay as you go, so she went maybe once a day. Girton has good kitchen facilities.
I lived in Hughes Hall.

The college had an amazing selection of food and always had such tasty vegetarian options at every meal.

The kitchens in the houses were well equipped with ovens, fridges, cookers, kettles, microwaves etc.

There were markets and grocery shops where you could get your supply all over Cambridge.

I am not aware that there is any college that forces you to eat its food.
Reply 7
Original post by LegalDiaries
I lived in Hughes Hall.

The college had an amazing selection of food and always had such tasty vegetarian options at every meal.

The kitchens in the houses were well equipped with ovens, fridges, cookers, kettles, microwaves etc.

There were markets and grocery shops where you could get your supply all over Cambridge.

I am not aware that there is any college that forces you to eat its food.

Indeed, however Hughes is not typical with regards to gyp room equipment.

And as a mature college may not be an option for the OP :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Indeed, however Hughes is not typical with regards to gyp room equipment.

And as a mature college may not be an option for the OP :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hughes Hall admits undergrads who are 21 years plus. The OP did not say anything about whether the college should be undergrad or mature or what his/her preferences were.

His/her question was about meals and that is what I answered.

I lived in Hughes so I know the Hughes Hall gyp room. My own one had a large and small fridge, a microwave, a kettle, a cooker with an oven, a laundry machine (by luck having been left behind by previous owners), a toaster, storage space, a dining table and chairs. Most blocks had the same or similar facilities.

The same however, could not be said for some other colleges!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by LegalDiaries
The same however, could not be said for some other colleges!

I know, that's my point :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest