Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have started teaching at a secondary school ages 11-16.

I have been mistaken for a student a few times which sounds funny here and its a bit fun at times but when it happens in front of students it is takes away your integrity. Once I was asked by another teacher why I was standing in front of other students, then a student told the teacher I was a teacher then she said sorry, class started laughing etc.

But age is a one way process, it is nice to have a youthful appearance and if thats the reason then it is nice however it probably won't last too long. Other teachers have said you don't like it at the time but then you miss it when your older.

But thats not the issue, I get treated like a student by one or two of the senior teachers. I don't mind when other teachers come up to me and say 'alright young man'.

But the issue I have is sometimes I get shouted at and I find it really upsetting. Typical example would be, I might just check my phone to see my timetable, then a senior teacher might walk past and say 'erm you shouldn't be on your phone' and not quietly either. Its really embarrassing especially when it happens in front of students. In that case a girl was nearby and 'omg sir got shouted at'.

Now when I was a student I didn't take ****. I was a high achieving student (gratefully) and I wouldn't let them speak to me like that. I was a bit of a bad boy, and they threatened to kick me out of school/sixth form many times but again gratefully because I was getting A's they didn't.

The thing is I can't talk back now and it is a shame because the maths department are amazing, we love and support each other. But these 1 or 2 senior teachers are being proper pricks to me. I can't talk back because I have car insurance and bills to pay so I don't want to lose my job.

I feel so angry inside, I wish there was a way I could get them back. I told them judge me on my ability to teach, I am grateful that my students have improved by 2 grades and do all my homework. I'm really passionate and deliver interactive lessons.

The advise I was given by a close teacher where I went sixth form was it is apparently a common problem with young teachers at the start then it eases.

But its not fair, I feel upset/angry.

ReputationRep:
    You've already posted this thread a while back.
    How young do you actually look? Do you think your height could play a factor in this? What type of clothes do you wear while in school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    You've already posted this thread a while back.
    How young do you actually look? Do you think your height could play a factor in this? What type of clothes do you wear while in school?
    I don't know how young I look and obviously I'm not gonna post a pic.

Probably I would say sixth form-uni student age.

But then I was mistaken as a year 9 once and once in a year 8 class which is funny because theyre like 11 or 12.

Height probably I'd say I'm typical year 11 height so a bit shorter than my age group.

Clothes it is always a suit, unless it is sports day or teachers training day where I wear typical jogging bottoms, nike hi tops etc.
    • Very Important Poster

I wish there was a way I could get them back.
    Isnt that a childish way of thinking in the first place?

They have probably treated everyone like that as they have been there so long. Its a rites of passage thing. have word with someone if they do it more than once. get yourself known round the staff room, so it doesnt happen. How about leaving them a few tins of biscuits in the staff room with a note on introducing yourself with a picture? You can make light of your youthful appearance. You are meant to be a professional now so behave in a professional way and dont take small things like this to heart.

ReputationRep:
    I think its okay to look like a student it shows that they can be able to talk to you anytime however when it comes to handling the class sometimes i would advise you to show that youre not jk.if it isnt helpful then i would advise teaching sixth form (we're nicer! )

ReputationRep:
    I agree, look at this as a positive thing, and forge relationships with your peers by not taking it too seriously. You are young now, but will appreciate the youthful looks later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Hunted)
    I was mistaken as a year 9 once

Name:  laughing.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  94.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    It's correct that it will get easier with time/as you age. When I started teaching I was 22 and had problems with students trying to add me on Facebook or even hit on me :-/ Doesn't happen now that I'm nearly 31

But maybe there are 2 things you can do in the immediate future.

Your colleague was right. You shouldn't be on your phone in school. You need to be what you want to see, and if students aren't allowed to use their phones in lessons, you shouldn't either. It will increase your credibility if students can see that you are not asking them to do something that you are not willing to do yourself. And teenagers can smell hypocrisy a mile off!

And is there anything you can do physically to make you look older, such as changing your hairstyle, growing a beard/moustache, bulking up at the gym, getting medication for bad skin...? What specifically makes you look younger than you are, in your opinion, and can you change it in any way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    It's correct that it will get easier with time/as you age. When I started teaching I was 22 and had problems with students trying to add me on Facebook or even hit on me :-/ Doesn't happen now that I'm nearly 31

But maybe there are 2 things you can do in the immediate future.

Your colleague was right. You shouldn't be on your phone in school. You need to be what you want to see, and if students aren't allowed to use their phones in lessons, you shouldn't either. It will increase your credibility if students can see that you are not asking them to do something that you are not willing to do yourself. And teenagers can smell hypocrisy a mile off!

And is there anything you can do physically to make you look older, such as changing your hairstyle, growing a beard/moustache, bulking up at the gym, getting medication for bad skin...? What specifically makes you look younger than you are, in your opinion, and can you change it in any way?
    I graduated from School at the age of 21. I didn't make that many friends with my peers as I was much older than them. I used to have my teachers company during recess, many students used to tell me that I am like their uncle lol, my classmates were like 16 to 18 years old. Ever since I joined uni, things got changed, and I found many people of my age at uni taking the same course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Hunted)
    The advise I was given by a close teacher where I went sixth form was it is apparently a common problem with young teachers at the start then it eases.

But its not fair, I feel upset/angry.
    I felt the same way when I started teaching. I was around 17 and I just taught English as a second language. The younger pupils were OK, but the older ones, even if they are merely a year older than me, seem to undermine my instructions and authority. It is truly infuriating, but after a while you learn how to better impose yourself onto others so as to teach more effectively without distraction.

Anyways, best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.