Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared university is making me depressed Watch

I feel so lonely at uni sometimes and I'm scared that I'm eventually going to drop out. I have 'friends' here but I'm not that close with them, they all live in the same flat and do stuff together/are closer. My days consist of just going to lectures then coming home and watching netflix or doing some work. I feel like i try to make plans with people but they always fall through or I'm not included in others plans or I'm a last minute thought. Ive recently moved flats and the people in my new flat are much nicer but they all have their own groups of friends and i still feel like an outsider, because they've already known each other for a term and I've just moved in. Everyone else i see on snapchat or Facebook seem to be having the time of their life and constantly having fun but i don't seem to be. I don't even have any friends at home that can visit me or support me as they fell out with me, I'm unsure if the problem is me and what i can do to resolve it but its making me really unhappy
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel so lonely at uni sometimes and I'm scared that I'm eventually going to drop out. I have 'friends' here but I'm not that close with them, they all live in the same flat and do stuff together/are closer. My days consist of just going to lectures then coming home and watching netflix or doing some work. I feel like i try to make plans with people but they always fall through or I'm not included in others plans or I'm a last minute thought. Ive recently moved flats and the people in my new flat are much nicer but they all have their own groups of friends and i still feel like an outsider, because they've already known each other for a term and I've just moved in. Everyone else i see on snapchat or Facebook seem to be having the time of their life and constantly having fun but i don't seem to be. I don't even have any friends at home that can visit me or support me as they fell out with me, I'm unsure if the problem is me and what i can do to resolve it but its making me really unhappy
    Hey, this sounds really hard. Have tried joining any societies or anything like that? These can be a great way to meet likeminded people with similar interests to you, gives you a starting point of something to talk about too. Moving flats sounds like a really good move, you're brave for doing that! Try going to sit in the kitchen or something occasionally or even just saying hi when you see one of them, that sort of stuff can make a big difference. Smiling too! I'm sure it's not you that's the problem- remember people only tend to put the good bits on social media, and looks can be deceptive. I know how hard it can be seeing stuff like that constantly but trust me when I say they're probably thinking the same thing, and everyone will at one time or another. Have a look into societies etc anyway, it could be worth talking to student support at your uni too to see if there's anything else they can suggest. Your health is always most important so put that first, if you feel like your mood is affecting your everyday life go and pay your GP a visit and they can help. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I just thought I'd let you know that I'm in the exact same situation as you right now and completely understand how you're feeling. It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one feeling like this!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.