Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

She's currently in a rocky relationship - what do I do here Watch

Announcements

So I have recently started talking within someone I initially connected with on Instagram and have had a lot of good back and forth chat. She is coming down to London at the beginning of March and we have agreed to hang out in person. She mentioned that she would normally be staying with her boyfriend by this time getting a place with friends as things are currently rocky with the boyfriend.

What is the best thing to do here? She seems really cool and interesting and I'd like to get to know her better but at the same time there is the issue that she is in a relationship at the moment. I want to position myself so that if anything does happen with that I am still around (not here to accelerate a break-up). Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure probably see how it goes with her current relationship?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I have recently started talking within someone I initially connected with on Instagram and have had a lot of good back and forth chat. She is coming down to London at the beginning of March and we have agreed to hang out in person. She mentioned that she would normally be staying with her boyfriend by this time getting a place with friends as things are currently rocky with the boyfriend.

What is the best thing to do here? She seems really cool and interesting and I'd like to get to know her better but at the same time there is the issue that she is in a relationship at the moment. I want to position myself so that if anything does happen with that I am still around (not here to accelerate a break-up). Any thoughts?

She's in a rocky relationship?

then be her rescue boat ...or move onto a single girl if that's not your style.

waiting and sitting around for her to break up with her bf naturally?

Ain't nobody got time for that...!
    • TSR Support Team

You can hang out as friends but nothing more, just because they are in a rocky relationship does not mean they will break up.

(Original post by ANM775)
    She's in a rocky relationship?

then be her rescue boat ...or move onto a single girl if that's not your style.

waiting and sitting around for her to break up with her bf naturally?

Ain't nobody got time for that...!
    Not intending to just hag around and focus on this only as there is no guarantee.

If she starts talking about her issues do I engage her on her relationship problems or do I leave that?

ReputationRep:
    Not intending to just hag around and focus on this only as there is no guarantee.

If she starts talking about her issues do I engage her on her relationship problems or do I leave that?

to be honest it's drifting towards friendzone territory if she just starts spilling all her current relationship troubles to you unsolicited.

When a girl is into a guy she generally doesn't do that.

then again on the flip side, this is also one of the ways women do obtain "backup" guys for if their current relationship breaks down.

she'll be like: "he's such a **** always telling me this and what i can't do etc
    you'llbe like: "I'd never do that to a girl, I'm really sorry you're going through this"
    she'll be like" Awww, thanks...,you're so sweet"

If you're happy being backup guy then yes you might want to let her pour her heart out to you.

but if she's pouring her heart out to you because she thinks of you as friend/emotional tampon ..then there's really not much you can do realistically to change her view of you ...so you might as well hear her out and offer her support and hope she's viewing you as backup guy and not tampon guy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.