Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Overrated tourist attractions Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    This is why I'm not keen on visiting countries like Italy - it seems to be devoid of anything approaching value. For less than the price of a hostel dorm bed in Florence, you could sleep like a king in bucharest, as I did. One of the finest en suite private rooms I ever stayed in and cost me around £20 a night. For that price in an Italian hostel you'd be sharing a sleeping bag with 20 other people!

And Spain is fantastic to visit. Very tourist friendly and reasonably priced and great sights and culture. You can't go wrong. Haven't been to Barcelona though, which may be the most expensive/overhyped part.....
    Agreed on Italy. Love Italian culture but it's not right at the top of my visit schedule at the moment.

Slightly OT - but did you enjoy Bucharest? Are there any countries or places in ex-com Europe that you'd particularly recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I wasn't overawed with the Palace of Versailles. Very bling bling. I preferred Chatsworth.
    Never been to Chatsworth, but agree to an extent about Versailles. Also, the major problem with that and Notre Dame as the OP mentioned, is the millions of other tourists taking ****ing selfies every 2 seconds and/or listening obsessively to the audio guide and not paying any attention to their surroundings. We went to Sacre Coeur in Montmartre, which has banned photography inside, and it was a lot more enjoyable, plus you get an amazing view over Paris (just watch out for pickpockets).

The most underwhelming place I've been is Venice. There are a few stunning buildings and some nice artwork, but I failed to fall for the city as a whole. People recommend you don't take a map, just get lost and see what you find, which was mostly a lot of dingy alleyways, run-down buildings and touts hassling you to buy stuff/go on a tour. We went in off season, so not too many other people around, but I still didn't enjoy it much.

ReputationRep:
    Tokyo Sky Tree.

The most expensive observation deck I have ever been to! And it takes a whole day. That's why there is a huge shopping centre under the sky tree! You can spend even more money while you wait for your time slot. Then you're waiting in a line again, as everyone else in your time slot waits for their chance to go up. It's alright when you get up there... but I would have been happier spending the time in Ueno park or walking around the Imperial Gardens.

If you only have a limited amount of time in Japan it is nowhere near worth the effort. Go to Tokyo Tower instead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Unpopular opinion time: Rome. All of Rome's attractions. I'm not saying they're bad, all of the monuments themselves are an awesome sight to behold, but Rome as a city has a way of driving that wonder into the back of your mind after you've just queued for four hours to see each of them. Add to that the layer of consumerism that's been applied to the entire city's surface that feels borderline inescapable, and there's very little left of the magic I was hoping Rome would fill me with. I went three times with work last year, the first time was peak summer season and the amount of time in queues and traffic was infuriating. The second time, well outside of school holiday season, was just as bad. The third time I didn't bother getting off the ship.

For anyone wanting to go to Italy for the experience of going to Italy, there are much better places you can go. Florence is my favourite.
    Interesting, I loved Rome, but then I read a lot about Rome as a kid.

Venice on the other hand is ****. Literally. Overcrowded as ****, stinks like hell, and if you go in the summer and the unbearable heat on top of those two points...

Ah yes Tuscany! Absolutely stunning :love: But Florence is not even the most amazing place, have you been to Siena or Lucca?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Mimikyu)
    Tokyo Sky Tree.

The most expensive observation deck I have ever been to! And it takes a whole day. That's why there is a huge shopping centre under the sky tree! You can spend even more money while you wait for your time slot. Then you're waiting in a line again, as everyone else in your time slot waits for their chance to go up. It's alright when you get up there... but I would have been happier spending the time in Ueno park or walking around the Imperial Gardens.

If you only have a limited amount of time in Japan it is nowhere near worth the effort. Go to Tokyo Tower instead!
    Agreed, it was a complete waste of time :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Agreed on Italy. Love Italian culture but it's not right at the top of my visit schedule at the moment.

Slightly OT - but did you enjoy Bucharest? Are there any countries or places in ex-com Europe that you'd particularly recommend?
    Bucharest is hard to describe. I'd consider it memorable, it has a distinct bucharesty feel, it's a very modest city in places, foul smells every so often, busy, has some grand communist era archetecture, a bit western and commerical in places, an impressive congregation of bars/restaurants in the alleys near the old town...certaintly worthy of a couple of nights. I wouldn't dissuade someone from visting, but can see why it isn't raved about. The highlight for me was the day trip out to the countryside - splendid Peles castle in the idylilic carpathian mountains, Bran castle (of dracula's association), beautiful Transylvaniian countryside, the old city of Brasov...all this I took in one one guided day tour, it was fantastic day out, only downside the duration on the bus was too much - was a solid three hour journey back home that evening. Remember thinking Romania was a lovely country in the rural parts (not what you'd have in mind before visting), but bucharest not it's greatest advert.

I went to Sofia for seven nights, which was too long, I found it relaxed, lots of churches, not particularly touristy or lively. Sofia is right next to a large mountain - Vitosha. This presents the opportunity of doing some hiking, whilst returning to the city afterwards. That was the highlight for me, even if it was gruelling at times. A local organisation arranges 'free' daily hikes - you meet in the morning in the centre, return in the evening. All you pay is the taxi fare to and from vitosha split between other hikers in the cab. Also I recommend tipping the guide for his voluntary efforts.

ReputationRep:
    Eiffel Tower was a huge disappointment. In fact, Paris is general was for me. I found it to be very dirty, overpriced and the locals were extremely rude. Visited much nicer cities in Europe for half the price. Such as Budapest & Prague.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Stonehenge is a complete waste of time.

Barcelona is full of ********s who give you a disgusted look if you try and speak to them in Spanish. Beautiful city though, and good food.
    My mum and dad drove past that and said it wasnt as good as its made out to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Unpopular opinion time: Rome. All of Rome's attractions. I'm not saying they're bad, all of the monuments themselves are an awesome sight to behold, but Rome as a city has a way of driving that wonder into the back of your mind after you've just queued for four hours to see each of them. Add to that the layer of consumerism that's been applied to the entire city's surface that feels borderline inescapable, and there's very little left of the magic I was hoping Rome would fill me with. I went three times with work last year, the first time was peak summer season and the amount of time in queues and traffic was infuriating. The second time, well outside of school holiday season, was just as bad. The third time I didn't bother getting off the ship.

For anyone wanting to go to Italy for the experience of going to Italy, there are much better places you can go. Florence is my favourite.
    An experience in a big city is extremely subjective. Think about London, there are a hundred different ways to live it and visit it. I've been to Rome on several occasions and it did the trick for me, I mean, with the "magic". That's also because I'm a fanboy of the ancient Romans and know about the city in general throughout history up to present time.

But:
    -I didn't enjoy it at its full potential during my first visit, when I was simply on holiday as a (foreign at the time) tourist, because there were so many attractions to visit in a relatively short time, spread across the city, in the summer heat, with long walking distances, inconceivable means of transport and hours and hours of guided tours. Though I still appreciated the beauty of its attractions.
    - The worst experience was when I was there for 3 days with my parents who had some business to do but also wanted to take the chance for some sightseeing and entertainment. When you have many things to do in a short time and are stuck for hours in the traffic in summer, the Colosseum starts looking like the world's most glorified roundabout.
    -When I was there for a project in Parliament, I became a supporter for parliamentary black cars and understood how hard it is to work in such an inefficient city, which seems suspended in an adamant stance of eternal immobility. However, having the chance to spend a period there not as a tourist, I grasped its true beauty, which is about being constantly surrounded by art and immersed in millennia of history, walking around for your own things and casually crossing Ponte Sant'Angelo and the Vatican, finding yourself in front of stunning institutional palaces like the Supreme Court, emerging inadvertently in beautiful squares, casually spotting across the road the Ara Pacis or the world's most famous fountains and seeing the city's secret beauty (exposed in the film "La grande bellezza") of hidden internal courts and private palaces.

I recently spent two days there while taking a break from my frantic financial studies and appreciated it a lot again. It's just not the right place for business/work and for people who are in a hurry!

ReputationRep:
    Anything to do with the royal family, you dont see them in person most of the time.

Although the guards are cool

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: Amsterdam, Barcelona (slightly) British Museum(s), Canary Islands.
    Underrated: Berlin and its Museums, (slightly) Toronto and Canada in general, Lucca and Pietrasanta in Italy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.