Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im sure there will be varied approaches but at what stage would you ask a girl out? i.e. would you do it if you had never actually spoken or would you have to be more sure of her interest from having spoken or texted her for a while? I only ask as i was talking to someone for a short while who suddenly for reasons which i suspect may be due to me not being forward and taking my time (my aim was to try and gain enough confidence to ask her out) and she got bored waiting for something to happen. So is it better to chance it early and ask fairly soon if you are interested in someone whilst you still have little knowledge about them or even know if they like you at all, or is it better to wait and try to get to know someone better before asking and risk the person perhaps thinking you are not interested or get bored waiting in the mean time?

When i say "ask out" i mean for example something casual like going for a costa coffee together or something low key.
    • Political Ambassador

If you live nearby why would you postpone asking for a meeting?

Isn't wanting to hang out with that person the whole reason why you're talking?

You get to know someone better when you go for a coffee or whatever. And in most cases it's better to be straightforward, but not too pushy and clingy so you don't come as creepy.

I really wanted to ask her to meet up, but having never asked a girl out before or even really talked to girls in that way I was unsure as to when the right time to ask is? (where she would feel comfortable answering). I didn't want to ask until i was a bit more confident that she was interested in me. Lesson leaned for next time though, will take a bit more of a risk and be more forward. The trail with that particular girl has gone a bit cold but I was actually thinking of getting her a rose for valentines day (a service provided at school) with a subtle clue as to who the sender was to see if that makes her change her attitude towards me. Any merit in my thinking or am I just getting carried away with my imagination?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.