Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I stay or drop out? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 20 year old from the UK who is currently in their second year of college. For next year, I've applied to universities for direct third year entry to continue with my education and have heard back from two out of the five I have applied for - both are conditional offers. I've made friends in the city I've moved to and I can honestly say I love living here... so where's the issue?

Well, here's the thing. I'm studying marketing and although I don't hate the course I'm not exactly in love with it either. I find it difficult, pretty boring and not what I thought it would be. I applied thinking it would be useful for getting a job in the marketing and sales industry but so far it's been nearly two years of heavy theory work. There's been nothing on presentations, networking, public speaking, advertising, pretty much everything the sector involves.

However, what the course has been useful for is letting me know I'm not interested in pursuing marketing any longer, but I was adamant I'd continue on for another two years to get my degree. The thought of spending two years on something to just give up would be heartbreaking, but is there any point in having a degree you'll never use? Four years is a long time to waste.

Furthermore, I'm just out of hospital (I was in for a week). Because of this I've missed so much course work including my main exam. I was admitted with a heart attack and was later diagnosed with inflammation to the heart. Normally, inflammation is caused by something viral but upon finding no virus the Doctors told me it could be stress that caused it. Do I really want to be on this course if it's making me so stressed I'm getting ill?

Lastly, please don't tell me 'you're twenty, you have plenty of time!'. I really don't. If there's anything last week has shown me, you never know when you're going to get a heart attack, or hit by a bus, or anything else fatal for that matter. I want to live NOW. Thank you for your time!

ReputationRep:
    Dropout dude, trust me all I can see is regret and bad decisions in you. A heart attack from stress is a big sign. If your find every lesson painful and boring. Dropout!!! Because you don't want to be stuck in a boring job. Which will feel like torture everyday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your honesty, outside perspective always helps!

ReputationRep:
    You make rational points..

Take care of your health as that should be your first priority.

Look into Apprenticships, there are a lot of opportunities that you could get into without going to Uni...

This way you'll work, earn money and get a respectable qualification.

Example; Applying for KPMG 360, means that you would work in Advisory, Tax and Audit and choose a pathway of your liking, whilst earning £20k in London.. Think about it,, the company has amazing perks too... private health care, free phone and laptop etc...

ReputationRep:
    I suppose, what's the point in education if you're ill? I really should look after myself better. I don't want another heart attack.

As for apprenticeships, I'm sadly too old. Most are 16-19 and I'm halfway through being 20. But I have indeed taken your point on board: training, internships and suchlike exists - thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20, studying Law at Uni..

I hate it and am looking into the Apprenticeship as explained above... PM me if you want more details, happy to help you. The maximum age for these Higher Apprenticeships are 23/24 so we qualify!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undergrad123)
    PM me if you want more details, happy to help you. The maximum age for these Higher Apprenticeships are 23/24 so we qualify!
    Thank you so much! That helps a lot, I didn't even know that higher apprenticeships were a thing! I had always thought they were for 16-19 year olds and were mainly for things like welding, joinery and carpentry.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    I'm a 20 year old from the UK who is currently in their second year of college. For next year, I've applied to universities for direct third year entry to continue with my education and have heard back from two out of the five I have applied for - both are conditional offers. I've made friends in the city I've moved to and I can honestly say I love living here... so where's the issue?

Well, here's the thing. I'm studying marketing and although I don't hate the course I'm not exactly in love with it either. I find it difficult, pretty boring and not what I thought it would be. I applied thinking it would be useful for getting a job in the marketing and sales industry but so far it's been nearly two years of heavy theory work. There's been nothing on presentations, networking, public speaking, advertising, pretty much everything the sector involves.

However, what the course has been useful for is letting me know I'm not interested in pursuing marketing any longer, but I was adamant I'd continue on for another two years to get my degree. The thought of spending two years on something to just give up would be heartbreaking, but is there any point in having a degree you'll never use? Four years is a long time to waste.

Furthermore, I'm just out of hospital (I was in for a week). Because of this I've missed so much course work including my main exam. I was admitted with a heart attack and was later diagnosed with inflammation to the heart. Normally, inflammation is caused by something viral but upon finding no virus the Doctors told me it could be stress that caused it. Do I really want to be on this course if it's making me so stressed I'm getting ill?

Lastly, please don't tell me 'you're twenty, you have plenty of time!'. I really don't. If there's anything last week has shown me, you never know when you're going to get a heart attack, or hit by a bus, or anything else fatal for that matter. I want to live NOW. Thank you for your time!
    Health and being happy first.
    You arent too old for an apprenticeship and yes you are only 20. If you health is so poor you only have a few years to live then I wouldnt be bothered with either..

Lots of jobs are non degree specific, but you should just weigh the pros and cons. As long as you live with your choices, then its not really anyone elses business..

ReputationRep:

Hi,

I’m a first year marketing student at the university of derby. You’ve had a very different experience of marketing to me by the sounds of it! I love my course (Marketing (PR and Advertising)). There’s only a very small amount of theory and most the work we do are practical assignments, like making TV ads and developing an existing brand, and it’s overall a very creative course.

It may just be that you’re on the wrong course, mine is a BA not a BSc, I don’t think I’d cope either if my course was so heavily theory based. Maybe look at trying to find a similar BA Marketing course to mine.

For me, marketing is an exciting and creative subject, not one to get stressed about theory. We do presentations almost every week, even to industry professionals, so for me my course is a good representation of working in a marketing career.

Maybe take a year out to figure everything out then come back to uni but on a more suitable course, don’t let an intense theory course put you of such a creative subject.

Hope this helps and let me now if you have any other questions,

Molly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyanne98)
    I love my course (Marketing (PR and Advertising)). There’s only a very small amount of theory and most the work we do are practical assignments, like making TV ads and developing an existing brand, and it’s overall a very creative course.
    Weirdly enough, it's a BA I'm on too! I think it was just by chance I selected a theory based one, I have many friends on similar courses (Advertising and PR, Marketing, International Marketing, Fashion Branding and Communications) and they all have fantastic sounding practical assessments.

I mean, tomorrow I'm literally going to be doing a written assessment on a sales plan. I thought we'd be writing up sales plans themselves, not just flicking through a couple case studies. I thought we'd do presentations, practise speaking, maybe do work experience... but nope! Written assessments only so far and I'm halfway through Year Two!

I'm glad you're loving your course though, it sounds fantastic and was what I was hoping mine would be, haha!

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly enough, it's a BA I'm on too! I think it was just by chance I selected a theory based one, I have many friends on similar courses (Advertising and PR, Marketing, International Marketing, Fashion Branding and Communications) and they all have fantastic sounding practical assessments.

I mean, tomorrow I'm literally going to be doing a written assessment on a sales plan. I thought we'd be writing up sales plans themselves, not just flicking through a couple case studies. I thought we'd do presentations, practise speaking, maybe do work experience... but nope! Written assessments only so far and I'm halfway through Year Two!

I'm glad you're loving your course though, it sounds fantastic and was what I was hoping mine would be, haha!

I think I’ve done about 3 written reports so far and all of them were based on a practical assignment. If I were you, I’d definitely look at finding a different uni course, I’m sure there’s lots of more creative courses out there, like mine at Derby. I would be stressing too with that many written assessments, hope you figure out what to do and let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

Molly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.