Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Speaking from my own observations, I know of one girl who has done well and gone off to an Ivy league in the U.S, and others who got into top unis here, but what fascinates me is the rest I know of who attended top independant schools and are utterly ****ed up misfits.

It makes me wonder if regimented independant schools turn people into the rebellious drug addicts they are, or maybe they were just like that regardless.

Take for instance an old friend of mine. She attended a top independant school and it was a total waste of £17,000 a year. She came out with C and D GCSE grades because she'd sneak out of her 5 million pound home every night to drop acid with 19 year olds from the age of 13. Her life is (or at least was) a movie. Then she dropped out of her independant sixth form and went to a state college full of roadmen. Now she gets banged by them every weekend at a terrible uni and talks about her emotional instability and wanting to die every day.

Then there's Marina Joyce who I knew back in 2010-2013. She also attended a top independant school, not naming where, but if you know her from YouTube I don't exactly need to explain. She dropped out of college and her life was also just like a movie, even before she made it big on YouTube.

Another case example is Synestra De Courcy, who you may or may not have heard of. One article explains:
    "Depressed Transgender former head boy of £30,000-a-year vegetarian boarding school died after drugs binge two days before she was due to get go-ahead for gender change surgery"

These are just a select number of cases I know of from my own observations of people I've known personally, but it happens all the time. So who do so many privately educated kids come out with mental health issues and live their lives on drugs and stuff? Do they crack under the pressure of it all?
    People must think that they are so fortunate and living the dream to have extemely wealthy parents and attend schools that look like Hogwarts, but there's a dark and deeper reality to their lives and I'm so fascinated by it.

To add, their parents intentions for spending thousands of pounds a year to send their kids to these schools is for them to become a 'perfect' 'poster child' but so many of them turn out to be the complete opposite. Perhaps an act of rebellion? Or the crushing pressure of the expectations that are set out at their school and by their parents?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, you just need to make some better friends.

ReputationRep:
    All types of school can mess people up because that's the nature of being institutionalised in the formative years.

ReputationRep:
    You picked a couple people from a school who ended up badly. That doesn't seem very reliable when it comes to answering your question. Every school, public or private, is bound to have a few people who fail miserably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Speaking from my own observations, I know of one girl who has done well and gone off to an Ivy league in the U.S, and others who got into top unis here, but what fascinates me is the rest I know of who attended top independant schools and are utterly ****ed up misfits.

It makes me wonder if regimented independant schools turn people into the rebellious drug addicts they are, or maybe they were just like that regardless.

Take for instance an old friend of mine. She attended a top independant school and it was a total waste of £17,000 a year. She came out with C and D GCSE grades because she'd sneak out of her 5 million pound home every night to drop acid with 19 year olds from the age of 13. Her life is (or at least was) a movie. Then she dropped out of her independant sixth form and went to a state college full of roadmen. Now she gets banged by them every weekend at a terrible uni and talks about her emotional instability and wanting to die every day.

Then there's Marina Joyce who I knew back in 2010-2013. She also attended a top independant school, not naming where, but if you know her from YouTube I don't exactly need to explain. She dropped out of college and her life was also just like a movie, even before she made it big on YouTube.

Another case example is Synestra De Courcy, who you may or may not have heard of. One article explains:
    "Depressed Transgender former head boy of £30,000-a-year vegetarian boarding school died after drugs binge two days before she was due to get go-ahead for gender change surgery"

These are just a select number of cases I know of from my own observations of people I've known personally, but it happens all the time. So who do so many privately educated kids come out with mental health issues and live their lives on drugs and stuff? Do they crack under the pressure of it all?
    People must think that they are so fortunate and living the dream to have extemely wealthy parents and attend schools that look like Hogwarts, but there's a dark and deeper reality to their lives and I'm so fascinated by it.
    Does the very same not happen in some state schools?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately these things can happen to anyone, you've just picked a few examples of people who happened to go to a private school

ReputationRep:
    It's not a private school thing, but more of an emotional instability thing. The very same thing happens in public schools. You can go to any school and you will find pupils like that.

ReputationRep:
    Private school can **** people up, but not in the way you are proposing.

As Kevin Hart puts it "Private school is ****ing my children up, they got no edge...you need a lot of edge to make it in the world"

ReputationRep:
    I can think of several reasons why this might happen. Firstly, private school kids are often the told from a young age by their parents, that they are super special and smart - hence why their parents are happy to splash so much on school. When the children get older they realise that being rich doesn't automatically make them superior and smarter to other kids, discovering they're average can be a major kick in the teeth, and may lead to rebellion. It also explains why they're lives seem like movies, they do everything a movie character would do because they feel like they're in their own biopic - that the world revolves around them as their parents used to tell them. Secondly, private school kids usually hate that other kids see them as posh, privileged, nerdy, weak etc... and instead of attributing this to jealousy, will do anything to convince state schoolers that they are in fact super streetwise, cool gangsters who do all the drugs and stuff - unfortunately they're not and this leads to issues. What's more is that when private school kids rebel they can afford a more lavish rebellious lifestyle than a state school kid I.e - cocaine and strippers instead of weed and McDonald's. Their parents and the school will also be more shocked by this behaviour than if they were at a state school but the rich parents may be reluctant to discipline their little angels harshly. I think it could also be possible that students from one-gender private schools may find it hard to transition from essentially seeing none of the opposite gender for most of their adolescence - particularly as private schools usually offer a huge range of extra curriculars so students chance of meeting kids from other backgrounds through non-school based activities is reduced.

Also worth noting most private school kids are really nice people and there are probably way more ******** druggies at state schools, it's just that those kids have more of an excuse because they've had tougher upbringings which is why people are so shocked by the private school *****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They provide a safer environment for people from good families who dont want to endanger their children among the offspring of tradesmen - people who very often like nothing more than throwing chairs around, smoking, drinking underage and early copulations. Its a fallacy that private schools impinge on social mobility and opportunity, for a start the vast majority of working class people are only interested in dirty cash rather than academia for its own sake. Even if these schools were abolished the vast majority of those kids would be disruptive regardless of the setting, leaving just the tiny remaining gifted few who will tend to thrive regardless of environment. No shortage of pupils reach Oxbridge from state school; there is no conspiracy, if you are genuinely this mystical working class genius you can make it to the top, this isnt the 3rd world. The whole attack on suburban culture/private schools is totally unjustified, people need to face up to the reality that there is a huge crisis in family moral discipline among whites. The Indian community has proven that the same tired old class rhetoric is just a cop out. Clean up your lifestyle white people and your status in society will improve.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, being rich or privately educated does not make you immune to life's risks and problems; far from it. People often look at the rich as though they must be living amazing lives in some utopian fantasy world, but it's not the case. Their lives might be "better" in a superficial way (e.g. bigger house, more expensive brand of car, school looking like Hogwarts) but that's about it. They do not lose the ability to suffer misfortunes or make bad choices in life.

That's not to say that it's because they were rich or privately educated, that they ended up going off the rails. The same can happen to people from state schools too, whilst plenty of people from private schools can end up just fine.

Fundamentally I don't think there's that much of a difference between having a lot of money and just having an average amount of wealth, or having a state education or a private education. Wealth ultimately allows you to buy bigger and shinier stuff, or a lot of other things that you don't really need. But it's a mistake to assume that just because of that, your whole life is sorted. It's just the very surface of what a person's life is all about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.