Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So here's what happened:
    We were playing a basketball match that we were badly losing so none of us really wanted to play anymore. When it was my teams turn to play again we were walking slowly onto the court when our "coach" (a 24ish year old who was just one of our PE teachers) yelled "you can do this!" I rolled my eyes and she then proceeded to shove me onto the court ( it hurt my back a bit ).

Is she allowed to do this?

I only ask because of the fact that during Spanish class, my Teacher said they(all the teachers) are not allowed to use any physical contact towards students and a shove clearly is physical contact.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't think she intended to hurt you, within the context (you were playing a sport and your coach was trying to motivate you) I can't see anything wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think she wanted to hurt you.. ,

ReputationRep:
    If it's a no contact school (which many are now) then no technically she wasn't allowed. However the 'no contact' rule is stupid and generally not adhered to (teachers will still split up fights, comfort people who are upset etc) perfectly and your teacher wasn't doing anything malicious she was just doing her job and motivating you, it was a sports match so a physical activity so a little push isn't a huge deal. I really wouldn't give it any more thought, in the moment if you'd say 'ouch' she'd have probably been apologetic but doing anything about it now is really blowing it out of proportion.

(Original post by UWS)
    I don't think she intended to hurt you, within the context (you were playing a sport and your coach was trying to motivate you) I can't see anything wrong?
    I thought that but I wasn't sure.
    Thanks for your reassurance

(Original post by doodle_333)
    If it's a no contact school (which many are now) then no technically she wasn't allowed. However the 'no contact' rule is stupid and generally not adhered to (teachers will still split up fights, comfort people who are upset etc) perfectly and your teacher wasn't doing anything malicious she was just doing her job and motivating you, it was a sports match so a physical activity so a little push isn't a huge deal. I really wouldn't give it any more thought, in the moment if you'd say 'ouch' she'd have probably been apologetic but doing anything about it now is really blowing it out of proportion.
    My school is a completely no contact school (any fight that happens is not meant to be broken up using physical contact and they very rarely are).
    I know it's not really a big deal but what my Spanish teacher said just made me think.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow as I have training again. If it happens again tomorrow, when we don't have a match, I'll say something to her.

ReputationRep:
    1944: Storming Normandy beaches. No problem.

2017: *shove* *cries*

(Original post by Withengar)
    1944: Storming Normandy beaches. No problem.

2017: *shove* *cries*

I didn't cry I just gave her a look. I mean, I had already played 3 quarters of the game with a really badly sprained and deeply bruised finger but it was more the fact that it was against what teachers are allowed to do!
    If it was someone else on the team they would've definately started crying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My school is a completely no contact school (any fight that happens is not meant to be broken up using physical contact and they very rarely are).
    I know it's not really a big deal but what my Spanish teacher said just made me think.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow as I have training again. If it happens again tomorrow, when we don't have a match, I'll say something to her.

I've worked in a completely no contact school, it is honestly SUCH a stupid rule. I broke it on multiple occasions because it simply isn't practical or helpful.
    • TSR Support Team

I probably would have given her the look as well but in Sport it is a little different.
    • Very Important Poster

I think you are being a bit precious. If she intended to harm you then report her, but you would need proof. It sounds like absolutely nothing. If she touches you again, then just ask her not to do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.