Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am 19 years old and I still don't know the alphabet (AMA) Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's very easy to learn an alphabet. Just takes a few hours of practice. I learned Russian years ago (only the pronunciation of letters not their names) and pretty sure I still remember it. You naturally go over in in your head every week or so after you've learned it.

aa, buh, vuh, guh, duh, yeh, yo, zje, zuh, ee, e, kuh, luh, muh, nuh, o, puh, ruh, suh, tuh, oo, fuh, huh, tse, chuh, shuh, shsh, silent sound, i, silent sound, eh, yoo, ya

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reshyna)
    I noticed the same thing :lol:
    lol :five:

ReputationRep:
    Neither do I, 19 as you. However, I know the Ancient Greek alphabet up to the Tau (then I forget the order of the few remaining letters) and German to the Veh.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you... learn it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    I'd like to ask you how you can possibly not know it?!
    Because apart from learning it in nursery, it's never applied anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I can't pronounce the Indonesian alphabet (or rather, the Indonesian pronunciation of the alphabet) sooooo
    ahhh beh che deh eh eff geh...??? For some reason "e" is "ie", and "i" is "ee".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prazzyjazzy)
    I can't pronounce the Indonesian alphabet (or rather, the Indonesian pronunciation of the alphabet) sooooo
    ahhh beh che deh eh eff geh...??? For some reason "e" is "ie", and "i" is "ee".
    English gets the "e" and "i" relatively wrong compared to other languages. Usually (German, Italian...) "i" sounds like the "e" in English alphabet or as the sound of "ee" and of the first "i" in "intentionally" and "e" sounds like the second "e" in enter.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I did not learn the English alphabet until I was 13. I knew my native alphabet, but not the English one.

Learn it with the alphabet song.

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, ELEMENOPI, Q, R, S ,T U, and V, W, X, Y, and we end with Z!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemon Haze)
    Because apart from learning it in nursery, it's never applied anywhere.
    I'm pretty darn sure your parents can help out, my mum taught me the alphabet when I was two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    I'm pretty darn sure your parents can help out, my mum taught me the alphabet when I was two.
    I'm sure every parent taught their child the alphabet at two, my parents included. I just wasn't listening
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemon Haze)
    I genuinely don't know the alphabet.

I remember day dreaming in nursery when all the other kids were learning it, along with nursery rhymes...that I also never knew the words to (even as a child). My mum tried very hard at home but I was never focused.

AMA
    Repeat after me:

'a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.