Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How should I behave with my ex? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story short... I met this guy with whom I got on so well and had so much fun. We were both in long distance relationships for years (4 him and 2.5 me) and struggling a bit in them. We started developing feelings for each other until he told me clearly that he had fallen for me and broke up with his gf. I was still unsure because I thought I didn't feel the same for him but eventually I also broke up with my bf so we could be together. We kicked it off soon after (too soon probably) and were so thrilled about it that we spent most days together and most of the time while being apart thinking about each other and missing each other. It was like magic for 2 months or so. We went out, had fun, laughed so much but like I said, we probably went too fast and rushed into it. After 2 months boredom or normality started to kick in and things changed. We were both nervous and stressed for exams and started arguing and not understanding each other. After a while, I could tell something had put him off and broke up with him. We both hurt and cried but it seemed like it was the best thing for both of us. I also knew, right after, that he probably hadn't had proper closure with his ex and missed her because they were together for so long. We tried to be friends and tbh after a couple of days after the break up I was back to my normal happy self and even acted friendly when I met him randomly at uni. He, on the other hand, seemed not too happy. He text me saying he couldn't properly get over me and he couldn't just see us being friends. We tried again but nothing, we established something between us is just off. He said he realized we are different and can't understand why it can't work like we want it to. He said he misses his ex not in a romantic way, but as a best friend, and he thinks of her. I said to him that if that's the case it can't work and I don't want to be involved with someone who's so uncertain, but he said he knows that between me and him there will always be that chemistry and that he will always try to get back together with me. I don't know what to do. I know that he's not right for me and I know I shouldn't fall for it again because I have more feelings for him than the other way round, plus I think he is still in love with his ex. But why does he keep trying to go out with me, spend time with me and cry his heart out whenever we establish that it can't work? I'm not deluded and know that he just doesn't care enough for me, but why not let it go completely then? I just struggle with this because actually we get on so well.. We have fun, we laugh together and we have so much chemistry, yet there's just something missing for both of us (but mostly for him). I don't know what to do. I tried acting cool and saying that I'm fine being just friends, which I actually am, but it's like he can't decide. It's like he likes me but not enough to be with me for real. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to go out with him just cut all contact then he can't keep trying to restart something.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.