Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am currently doing my AS Levels at my high school sixth form however, I am certain I want to leave asap. I am wondering if it is possible by law to drop out now and work full time at my part time job as I am going to leave after this year anyway to go to college therefore, I'd rather leave now than have to carry on and wait until summer.

    Hiya. so the law is you have to stay in some sort of education till 18. There's no major consequences by breaking that law except that child benefits and child tax credit is stopped. If you're going to work then there's no problem in that as many people choose to leave to just start working. I've done sort of the same; hated my sixth form so I left around October, doing some stuff meanwhile and hopefully going to go to a college this year.
    • Thread Starter

    Thanks for the response! So I could leave now and start college in September and it wouldn't be a problem or anything?
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ovoseela)
    Thanks for the response! So I could leave now and start college in September and it wouldn't be a problem or anything?
    Id double check, but i didnt think that workplaces could let under 18's work there without you being in some form of education.
    Ill double check but i think they can get in trouble for knowingly letting an under 18 work there without being in some form of education.
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.