Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The loneliness is killing me. So many connections, acquaintances, (fake) friendships yet so little genuine human connection. I constantly feel like a nobody. Walking around campus or sitting in lectures, feeling unnoticed and insignificant, I often wonder whether others truly value me, or think of me as more than just the nice guy from class. I feel like I cannot bond with anybody on a more intricate level. Apart from my housemate, who has plenty of other friends, I have nobody to go out with. I seem to passively dislike disproportionately many people at my uni for different reasons (arrogant, childish, immature, fake, uncaring). Does anybody else feel like this? I'm in second year, male. Please spare the default "join a society" response. I am part of multiple societies and sure, sport helps take my mind off things but I still go to bed feeling isolated and lonely.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Student28461)
    The loneliness is killing me. So many connections, acquaintances, (fake) friendships yet so little genuine human connection. I constantly feel like a nobody. Walking around campus or sitting in lectures, feeling unnoticed and insignificant, I often wonder whether others truly value me, or think of me as more than just the nice guy from class. I feel like I cannot bond with anybody on a more intricate level. Apart from my housemate, who has plenty of other friends, I have nobody to go out with. I seem to passively dislike disproportionately many people at my uni for different reasons (arrogant, childish, immature, fake, uncaring). Does anybody else feel like this? I'm in second year, male. Please spare the default "join a society" response. I am part of multiple societies and sure, sport helps take my mind off things but I still go to bed feeling isolated and lonely.
    This issue is very common on these forums. I would say you really need to start valuing yourself and appreciating your own company. If you don't like societies then get involved in activities, it doesn't have to be via uni.

You can then expand that at exploring why you dont seem to be making any lasting friendships. Its a two way street and your soft skills might be a bit rusty or your expectations too rigid..

ReputationRep:
    Do you drink?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly an a mini existential crisis? Maybe you've just worked out how "alone" it is to be human. Or perhaps your are depressed?

You also state your distaste/ contempt for people at uni. Perhaps you are just misanthropic. Nothing wrong with that, although that will make you lonely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.