The Student Room Group

I like this guy, but not sure whether I should do anything about it...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
It is intense. Our eyes even meet across the exam hall.

Beats me. I really have no clue what he wants or how he would go about it. I wish I did.

I don't expect him to approach/message me first, but it would be nice. I don't expect anything from him or anyone else regardless of gender.

When you make eye contact is it awkward or do you smile and that?
Original post by lukebailey023

Exactly, message to all females. If you like a guy and make eye contact please give us a smile before shyly looking away, it'll do us wonders and give us something to work with.
Exactly, message to all females. If you like a guy and make eye contact please give us a smile before shyly looking away, it'll do us wonders and give us something to work with.

A cheeky wink never harms anyone, although if he is awkwardly looking away he might be hella shy

It depends, tbh. I wouldn't say the eye contact is ever awkward. Most of the time, it is a serious stare where we will both just gaze intently into each other's eyes. Other times, it's more playful in nature where I might flash a small smile or such. Neither us are exactly the most smiley people by nature, especially when there is no context for it really. Both of us will smile/laugh when we think something is funny and/or feel awkward, but that's it.
It depends, tbh. I wouldn't say the eye contact is ever awkward. Most of the time, it is a serious stare where we will both just gaze intently into each other's eyes. Other times, it's more playful in nature where I might flash a small smile or such. Neither us are exactly the most smiley people by nature, especially when there is no context for it really. Both of us will smile/laugh when we think something is funny and/or feel awkward, but that's it.

yeah true nothing to really smile about but sometimes that shows a connection? like it shows chemistry between you. I mean if i seen the same girl making that kind of eye contact i would be straight in hahaha

Well, I do smile at him albeit occasionally. I only tend to smile at people who smile at me first. It's not something that comes naturally to me otherwise. He doesn't ever smile at anyone unless something/someone is funny or he feels uncomfortable in the situation, so perhaps in his case for this context, it's good that he doesn't smile at me because it wouldn't have positive connotations since I'm not cracking jokes and/or making him feel awkward.

However, I understand your point because it still might not be clear to him that I like him which as a general point still applies.
A cheeky wink never harms anyone, although if he is awkwardly looking away he might be hella shy

I can try a wink, and see what the response is. LOL. Although, he might think there is something in my eye though. Yeah, I don't understand this guy because like I've said before, he can be outgoing but he can also be withdrawn. I guess I'm the same at times.
I can try a wink, and see what the response is. LOL. Although, he might think there is something in my eye though. Yeah, I don't understand this guy because like I've said before, he can be outgoing but he can also be withdrawn. I guess I'm the same at times.

Haha that would be jokes to see that reaction, yeah i know what you mean mixed signals coming across
yeah true nothing to really smile about but sometimes that shows a connection? like it shows chemistry between you. I mean if i seen the same girl making that kind of eye contact i would be straight in hahaha

It might do. Some people smile all the time, whereas others don't and some fall in between. Not sure if it really means anything. I can definitely sense the palpable chemistry just through the stares. It's like he's staring into my soul, as mad and cheesy as that sounds. No one has looked at me like that before - with such passion, longing and tenderness, and it is easy to get sucked into it.

LOL. Nice to know you would go for it. I suspect this guy is not really experienced with girls (and it seems as though he is used to girls approaching him first), which I kind of like because I'm not experienced with guys either. However, this is probably an issue here and the reason why neither of us know how to approach the situation in a way that it moves forward.
It might do. Some people smile all the time, whereas others don't and some fall in between. Not sure if it really means anything. I can definitely sense the palpable chemistry just through the stares. It's like he's staring into my soul, as mad and cheesy as that sounds. No one has looked at me like that before - with such passion, longing and tenderness, and it is easy to get sucked into it.

LOL. Nice to know you would go for it. I suspect this guy is not really experienced with girls (and it seems as though he is used to girls approaching him first), which I kind of like because I'm not experienced with guys either. However, this is probably an issue here and the reason why neither of us know how to approach the situation in a way that it moves forward.

Wow haha thats pretty deep, what do you do just stop what your doing and stare haha, i think thats enough of a hint for him to approach you? do you not have him on social media that normally helps with the awkwardness as you don't have to stare them in the face haha
Haha that would be jokes to see that reaction, yeah i know what you mean mixed signals coming across

I suppose I might as well have fun with it, and not worry so much about what he thinks because that's what makes it more difficult. I'll try it out tomorrow, and see what happens. I don't have anything to lose really.

Yeah, definitely. I am probably just as guilty of giving mixed signals too, because sometimes I'm maintaining the eye contact, other times I don't look at all and act like I don't notice him, and etc. The truth is both of us seem to be clueless and confused as each other.
I suppose I might as well have fun with it, and not worry so much about what he thinks because that's what makes it more difficult. I'll try it out tomorrow, and see what happens. I don't have anything to lose really.

Yeah, definitely. I am probably just as guilty of giving mixed signals too, because sometimes I'm maintaining the eye contact, other times I don't look at all and act like I don't notice him, and etc. The truth is both of us seem to be clueless and confused as each other.

Yeah nothing to lose at all haha if it goes badly never look at him again hahaha, yeah i get you just sounds like an awkward situation to be in anyway.

you got instagram? haha
Wow haha thats pretty deep, what do you do just stop what your doing and stare haha, i think thats enough of a hint for him to approach you? do you not have him on social media that normally helps with the awkwardness as you don't have to stare them in the face haha

Yeah, it is deep otherwise I wouldn't bother making a thread about it. LOL. Essentially, yes. Obviously sometimes it has to come to a quick end if I'm entering a car for instance. I could be doing whatever it is (e.g. talking to a friend, waiting for a lecture to start, waiting around in general, looking around the room, walking to leave the room, walking to the shop etc.), and then my attention would be directed towards him if he happened to be there in my eye-line or pop up from somewhere, which happens more often than you would think. I would sometimes catch him staring at me while he's with his friends or something, and I would just stare back.

I don't think he has social media. It doesn't really surprise me either, he doesn't seem like the type of guy who is into that type of thing. I'm not either, but I like to have it in order to have access and keep myself updated on people and current issues. The only way to contact him would be via uni email. Back in the day, a friend of his and a friend of mine liked each other and they talked via email for a little while but it ended quite horribly because he blabbed to his friends about it while she wanted to keep it on the down low and only told me about it. They covertly resent each other now, which is also why it might be awkward for either us to talk to each other in person considering that strange history. The guy I like and my friend were on talking terms before that as well (along with his other friends), but obviously not anymore because of what happened with that guy. It's kind of a mess, and it seems neither one of us want to mess with the status quo. On the whole, his friends are douche-bags tbqh, and it's clear he doesn't really fit in with them personality-wise. However, there are only a small minority of guys on the course so I guess he has to put up with them and make the best of the situation, otherwise he'll be left without any friends to hang out with. It's sad when you think about it.
Yeah, it is deep otherwise I wouldn't bother making a thread about it. LOL. Essentially, yes. Obviously sometimes it has to come to a quick end if I'm entering a car for instance. I could be doing whatever it is (e.g. talking to a friend, waiting for a lecture to start, waiting around in general, looking around the room, walking to leave the room, walking to the shop etc.), and then my attention would be directed towards him if he happened to be there in my eye-line or pop up from somewhere, which happens more often than you would think. I would sometimes catch him staring at me while he's with his friends or something, and I would just stare back.

I don't think he has social media. It doesn't really surprise me either, he doesn't seem like the type of guy who is into that type of thing. I'm not either, but I like to have it in order to have access and keep myself updated on people and current issues. The only way to contact him would be via uni email. Back in the day, a friend of his and a friend of mine liked each other and they talked via email for a little while but it ended quite horribly because he blabbed to his friends about it while she wanted to keep it on the down low and only told me about it. They covertly resent each other now, which is also why it might be awkward for either us to talk to each other in person considering that strange history. The guy I like and my friend were on talking terms before that as well (along with his other friends), but obviously not anymore because of what happened with that guy. It's kind of a mess, and it seems neither one of us want to mess with the status quo. On the whole, his friends are douche-bags tbqh, and it's clear he doesn't really fit in with them personality-wise. However, there are only a small minority of guys on the course so I guess he has to put up with them and make the best of the situation, otherwise he'll be left without any friends to hang out with. It's sad when you think about it.

In conclusion i think you should maybe try and if nothing comes of it, give up? yeah would be **** situation to be in although if i thought the people on my course were *******s i wouldn't speak to them outside of lectures. Find friends elsewhere.
Yeah nothing to lose at all haha if it goes badly never look at him again hahaha, yeah i get you just sounds like an awkward situation to be in anyway.

you got instagram? haha

Exactly. LOL. I'm equally good at staring and avoiding it.

Definitely, but I suppose that comes with the territory sometimes.

I do have an account, but it's only for liking pictures. What about you? I don't post pics of myself on social media platforms or ever write any posts/updates since I don't require attention and/or validation from strangers or so-called friends, but I do like to snoop/lurk on other people's account sometimes to see what's going on. LOL. It's also a good way to keep in contact with friends in different countries and old school friends.
In conclusion i think you should maybe try and if nothing comes of it, give up? yeah would be **** situation to be in although if i thought the people on my course were *******s i wouldn't speak to them outside of lectures. Find friends elsewhere.

Yeah, that's true. There's no harm in trying - it's better to try and not succeed than never to try at all. I don't care what those guys think anyway - they're a bunch of losers who think they own the joint. He shouldn't care about their opinions either.

You're right, it is a pretty awful situation. I wouldn't bother engaging with them personally, but he might feel pressure to be a part of their so-called crew and conform because they "blessed" him with their presence and made an effort to befriend him. He doesn't really speak to them outside of lectures as they just seem to smoke together in a group, which doesn't mean much either way since he'll do that by himself if they're not there and he actually seems more calmer and happier without them.
Exactly. LOL. I'm equally good at staring and avoiding it.

Definitely, but I suppose that comes with the territory sometimes.

I do have an account, but it's only for liking pictures. What about you? I don't post pics of myself on social media platforms or ever write any posts/updates since I don't require attention and/or validation from strangers or so-called friends, but I do like to snoop/lurk on other people's account sometimes to see what's going on. LOL. It's also a good way to keep in contact with friends in different countries and old school friends.

Haha yeah maybe, i use social media often not for attention just to keep up with things, interesting to see what old friends are doing.

my insta is Luke_baileyy23 if anyone wants to chuck me a follow:wink:
Yeah, that's true. There's no harm in trying - it's better to try and not succeed than never to try at all. I don't care what those guys think anyway - they're a bunch of losers who think they own the joint. He shouldn't care about their opinions either.

You're right, it is a pretty awful situation. I wouldn't bother engaging with them personally, but he might feel pressure to be a part of their so-called crew and conform because they "blessed" him with their presence and made an effort to befriend him. He doesn't really speak to them outside of lectures as they just seem to smoke together in a group, which doesn't mean much either way since he'll do that by himself if they're not there and he actually seems more calmer and happier without them.

They sound like the last people i would be around to be honest i feel for the guy,
Haha yeah maybe, i use social media often not for attention just to keep up with things, interesting to see what old friends are doing.

my insta is Luke_baileyy23 if anyone wants to chuck me a follow:wink:

Yeah, definitely. I agree with you.

I'll follow you later when I go on instagram. :smile:
They sound like the last people i would be around to be honest i feel for the guy,

You and me both. They like to laugh like a pack of hyenas for no reason as well, very loudly during lectures sometimes, and that bitter guy keeps trying to make my friend feel uncomfortable and intimidate her. He's just an all-round phony and perv. I don't ever give that guy any attention even though he sometimes stares and sits close by, because he's still got issues with my friend even though she moved on long ago. It freaks me out a little tbh.

It feels as if he wants to escape half the time I see him with them, and I would like to rescue him from that mess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending