Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Mesut Ozil unfairly called a bottler? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think he gets scapegoated a lot for Arsenal losses, whereas Sanchez for instance seems to largely escape the criticism. In the games v Chelsea and Man City, I feel they were both largely anonymous.

I think the reason for this doesn't actually pertain to the ability of either of them. I think it's more of an issue of Wenger playing weak midfield pairings, which leads to Arsenal's more advanced players isolated when against superior opposition.

In the game versus Man City the midfield was Coquelin & Xhaka then in the Chelsea game Coq was partnered with Chamberlain. When you consider the difference in the middle of the park for the big games, is it really a surprise that Ozil doesn't feature as much?

ReputationRep:
    It seems as though we haven't found a midfield pairing that can perform consistently throughout a whole season

ReputationRep:
    I hope to God Ozil is injured before the next World Cup. We have much better players than him but for some reasons he just gets played over and over again.

So no, Ozil isn't unfairly critiqued at all. He sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    It seems as though we haven't found a midfield pairing that can perform consistently throughout a whole season
    Agree

(Original post by yudothis)
    I hope to God Ozil is injured before the next World Cup. We have much better players than him but for some reasons he just gets played over and over again.

So no, Ozil isn't unfairly critiqued at all. He sucks.
    I don't know which team you support, but if it's Germany he wasn't called up for the most recent fixtures and if it's Arsenal, who do you want at 10, The Ox? They don't have anyone to replace him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Agree

I don't know which team you support, but if it's Germany he wasn't called up for the most recent fixtures and if it's Arsenal, who do you want at 10, The Ox? They don't have anyone to replace him.
    Germany of course. Hence WC reference.

And yes, but that was agreed upon with Arsenal. Löw made it very clear that özil is an integral part of the team. But we have much better players by now - Sane, Draxler, Brandt, maybe Reus will finally be fit and on form for a major tournament.

Edit: My team I would take (assuming 23 players)

Neuer, Leno, ter Stegen
    Boateng, Hector, Hummels, Höwedes, Kimmich, Mustafi/Süle/Tah, Rüdiger, Toljan
    Gündogan, Kroos, Khedira, Weigl, Meyer/Can, Müller, Reus, Sane, Brandt, Draxler, Gnabry
    Werner (currently in U-21, plays for RB Leipzig, hopefully our next Klose)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Yh the pairings really arent helping. In all honesty a good midfield pairing helps the attacking players but if they're performing like they did against Chelsea what do you think will happen to the attacking players.

Fact is it's a tactical issue. E.g. fabregas never used to perform in big games for Chelsea because he tended to play at 10 where he's crowded out and couldn't really initiate the press mou wanted him to do. Now with kante there he has less defensive responsibility and can just play. See his game vs city e.g. or how he changed the game vs pool when we were going to lose.

ReputationRep:
    Mesut Ozil is crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Personally I think he gets scapegoated a lot for Arsenal losses, whereas Sanchez for instance seems to largely escape the criticism. In the games v Chelsea and Man City, I feel they were both largely anonymous.

I think the reason for this doesn't actually pertain to the ability of either of them. I think it's more of an issue of Wenger playing weak midfield pairings, which leads to Arsenal's more advanced players isolated when against superior opposition.

In the game versus Man City the midfield was Coquelin & Xhaka then in the Chelsea game Coq was partnered with Chamberlain. When you consider the difference in the middle of the park for the big games, is it really a surprise that Ozil doesn't feature as much?
    Very unfairly. The guy has played at the highest level possible and delivered against some of the best teams around (until he came to Arsenal).

Werder Bremen - has some top performances against Bayern, and also scored a cup final winner.

World Cup 2010 - fantastic tournament. Announced himself as an elite talent and delivered a top performance against England, outperforming guys like Lampard and Gerrard.

Madrid - consistently performed against Barcelona, delivered a title-winning assist @ the Nou Camp in 2012. Scored an equaliser in a CL semi against Bayern and got an assist in the 2nd leg too, Madrid were unlucky to get knocked out on pens.

EURO 2012 - not as good as his 2010 tournament, but still a good one nonetheless. Topped the assist charts.

World Cup 2014 - didn't really stand out if I'm being honest. Although he did score an important goal to get Germany to the QFs, that's about it. He had a decent performance in the final though.

Arsenal - now, this is pretty funny isn't it. As soon as he moves here, he gets criticised for being a big game bottler. Personally I think his body language and style of play doesn't really help him in some situations, but the main problem is Wenger! Almost everyone knows he is finished now, and gets tactically outclassed by managers in big games. He doesn't know how to coach defensive organisation, structure or even build up play anymore, hence why our best players suffer in these games (Sanchez, Özil). This season it's gotten worse because the quality of managers has improved significantly. Last season, Özil had the most goals/assists against the top 6 teams than any other player. Scored an important goal against Bayern in the CL too. Wenger holds his team back with his naivety. Look at Özil's performance against City this season, whenever he got the ball he was picking the right passes, moving the team forward; the only problem was that he wasn't getting it enough, because City were pressing us too well and Wenger couldn't do anything about it - Pep is a genius.

One last note; in EURO 2016, Özil had a good performance against one of the tournament's favourites: Italy. Scored a goal and created a superb chance for Gomez which he should've scored and thereby killing the game off. He comes back to Arsenal and gets criticised for being a bottler. Is this really a coincidence? I reckon he'd do much better in big games under a manager who isn't so tactically outdated, along with Sanchez.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.