Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

please help.no future. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've taken Maths Physics Chemistry and french at AS level and now I've dropped french, Im going to be starting A2s in september, but I have to start applying to Uni's now and I don't have a clue what I want to do, my favourite out of the three is maths however I'm not sure if I am good enough to do a degree at a good university in maths, what else goes well with maths? I find physics interesting but can't see myself pursuing it any further, and I dislike chemistry immensly, Ive thought about things like nursing,dentistry etc, but nothing seems to grab me, can anyone help me put a direction on my future please? any help would be very very mjmcuh appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Its difficult for us to help you decide just from that information have you tried the Stanford Test on the UCAS site? I havent done it myself but it might be helpful.

http://www.ucas.com/stamford/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberries)
    I've taken Maths Physics Chemistry and french at AS level and now I've dropped french, Im going to be starting A2s in september, but I have to start applying to Uni's now and I don't have a clue what I want to do, my favourite out of the three is maths however I'm not sure if I am good enough to do a degree at a good university in maths, what else goes well with maths? I find physics interesting but can't see myself pursuing it any further, and I dislike chemistry immensly, Ive thought about things like nursing,dentistry etc, but nothing seems to grab me, can anyone help me put a direction on my future please? any help would be very very mjmcuh appreciated.
    well if you like french and get a good grade im sure you can get put back on the course

im not sure if im good enough to do a maths degree at a decent university but im damn well gonna give it a try!

have you thought about engineering? perpahs your teachers could give some suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Have you done any work experience yet to see which jobs you'd like doing? I found that very helpful to decide which job I want to do and this way it was much easier for me to decide which course I will do. Ok, it still took me a long time to decide and a lot of nerves, too, so don't worry... You will find something in the end. I know the feeling, it's horrible, I had it for months but I'm ok now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    well if you like french and get a good grade im sure you can get put back on the course

im not sure if im good enough to do a maths degree at a decent university but im damn well gonna give it a try!

have you thought about engineering? perpahs your teachers could give some suggestions?
    French would be a good subject to do, definitely. Give maths a try if everything else fails, I'd say... Engineering sounds great to me! Do have a look at it

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you should drop french if you get a good grade in it. languages will help immensly. physics and maths are very similar, and you might be able to go into engineering, but seeing as you dont like physics that much, i wouldnt recommend it.
    how come you took chem if you dislike it that much btw? :confused:
    if you have taken chem and another science right up to A2, med would also be an option, but again, you dont like chem, so i seriously think you should stick it out with french, but the decision is yours...
    good luck with the results
    neha
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    yeh, cool, I thought about maths teaching? but I dont want to work in an office, no way!! did that for work experience yuk yuk!

ReputationRep:
    yeh, cool, I thought about maths teaching? but I dont want to work in an office, no way!! did that for work experience yuk yuk!
    what do you think of engineering? i think thats the thing you would like most if you are going to drop french

ReputationRep:
    think about how youve treated your maths teachers if you want to go the teaching option
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I did maths physics chemistry A levels and on to do a degree in geology (alongside people studying oceanography and geophysics), or with maths A level you'd be in a great position if you fancied doing computer science...if mechanical/aeronautical/civil/environmental/chemical/materials engineering don't appeal then how about acoustical engineering...or if you enjoy design/art then maybe architecture...or there are mathmatic related subjects like statistics, population sciences (basically applied statistics) or informatics (or if you want to continue language studies in a linguistic way there are courses like: http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/undergraduate/ail.html )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    think about how youve treated your maths teachers if you want to go the teaching option
    Very true... That's exactly what put me off ever to think about going into teaching.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion on this is that if there is nothing that you want to study for three years then don't go to university. You can go at a later date when you actually are passionate about something. I think there are far too many people who go to university because "it's where you go after sixth form" or they "want to be a graduate". I think you should wait and see what you enjoy. You don't want to be one of those people who goes to uni cos they can't think of anything better to do.

MB

ReputationRep:
    put loads and loads of effort into maths, and visit the maths forum quite a lot
    you will get a good grade if 1) you enjoy it , 2) you work hard at it
    then apply to some universities for maths and if you ever get stuck with something mathsy or how to write a ps, first go to the relevant teacher and talk to them about it, secondly come here

maths at uni doesn't mean you have to be a mathematician, it means you're clever and basically you're able to do any job if you have the training.

if I were you I'd do maths definately

ReputationRep:
    engineering?

ReputationRep:
    You could always take a gap year, get a job, and during that time maybe you'll decide what you want to study at university. Also, remember, university isn;t the be all and end all! Just look at what interests you generally... even outside of your A-Level subjects. You could do apply to do something like Psychology, Law, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    economics?

ReputationRep:
    My mate is doing Maths at Imperial this year hopefully.
    She did Economics, Business and Physics which would all make good combinations with Maths at degree level.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.