The Student Room Group

Running a race for charity and no one is coming to watch me

In a few weeks time I will be running a 10K to raise money for a charity that is very close to me and my family but no one is coming to watch me to cheer me on. I have asked my mum and dad to come and watch but they are not going to because they are going to a christening in the afternoon (the race is at 9:30 and I'll be done in about 40 minutes) so there is still plenty of time for them to get ready.

I am genuinely hurt that no one is coming watching me, I was never any good at sports when I was younger but now I'm good at something I would like my family to be there to see how much I've improved. I may sound like I'm complaining about a trivial thing but it is really important to me that they come and watch.

What should I do?
You are awesome!!! Well done!! Really you have a lot to be proud of. You go and run the best 10K you can. At the end of the day this is a charity fund raiser and you will be helping out the charity and that is the goal. If you can run one 10K you can run a second.... tell you're parents what you said here that it is important to you for them to come an support you and see what you've been able to accomplish. Although it is completely understandable why you feel let down by let it go this time. They might actually be able to attend your 10K and go to the christening but it might feel to stressful for them. Besides, if you harbor anger and resentment the day of the 10K you are going to be feeling down and it won't be an enjoyable day.... and you've worked to hard not to enjoy it!!
So, see when another 10K is coming up and explain to them that it has taken you a lot of effort to be able to achieve the ability to run a 10K and their support would mean so much. Let them know very early on the date of the next 10K and ask them to mark it on their calendar. But (and I do hope and believe they'll attend another 10K to watch you) if they don't come to watch you for whatever reason.... this is about YOU!!! YOU achieved this and you have to focus on how proud you feel about yourself. Don't rely on their validation to determine your self worth and, yes, pride in what you've achieved. Do this for yourself and the charity. Ask them to attend another run where they don't have a conflict. And...again.... it is totally understandable why you feel disappointed - it's not trivial. Talk to them..... but not when you're angry and only if you can discuss it without becoming angry.... don't ruin it for yourself.
GOOD LUCK on your run!!:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Hopefully1
You are awesome!!! Well done!! Really you have a lot to be proud of. You go and run the best 10K you can. At the end of the day this is a charity fund raiser and you will be helping out the charity and that is the goal. If you can run one 10K you can run a second.... tell you're parents what you said here that it is important to you for them to come an support you and see what you've been able to accomplish. Although it is completely understandable why you feel let down by let it go this time. They might actually be able to attend your 10K and go to the christening but it might feel to stressful for them. Besides, if you harbor anger and resentment the day of the 10K you are going to be feeling down and it won't be an enjoyable day.... and you've worked to hard not to enjoy it!!
So, see when another 10K is coming up and explain to them that it has taken you a lot of effort to be able to achieve the ability to run a 10K and their support would mean so much. Let them know very early on the date of the next 10K and ask them to mark it on their calendar. But (and I do hope and believe they'll attend another 10K to watch you) if they don't come to watch you for whatever reason.... this is about YOU!!! YOU achieved this and you have to focus on how proud you feel about yourself. Don't rely on their validation to determine your self worth and, yes, pride in what you've achieved. Do this for yourself and the charity. Ask them to attend another run where they don't have a conflict. And...again.... it is totally understandable why you feel disappointed - it's not trivial. Talk to them..... but not when you're angry and only if you can discuss it without becoming angry.... don't ruin it for yourself.
GOOD LUCK on your run!!:smile:

Wow!!! Reading that has made me feel 110% better!!! Thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest