Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  mjk.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  136.5 KB
    How to solve that kind of problems? I know about clock&anticlockwise forces, but can't work out solutions, especially the first one.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizamadiyar)
    Name:  mjk.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  136.5 KB
    How to solve that kind of problems? I know about clock&anticlockwise forces, but can't work out solutions, especially the first one.
    What are the clockwise and anti-clockwise moments in the first one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    What are the clockwise and anti-clockwise moments in the first one?
    I guess the clockwise one is to the right off the pivot due to the larger distance(40 cm)

ReputationRep:
    noot noot
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I guess the clockwise one is to the right off the pivot due to the larger distance(40 cm)
    Correct yes, but in terms of numbers and x?

ReputationRep:
    Correct yes, but in terms of numbers and x?
    If only I could know... Does it really matter? The answer is 30 cm, I can't figure it out
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    If only I could know... Does it really matter? The answer is 30 cm, I can't figure it out
    I am trying to guide you towards the solution.

Okay, to go one step back, it says in the question the beam is balanced. So what can you say about the clockwise and anti-clockwise moments?

Answer: the clockwise and anti-clockwise moments are _ _ _ _ _ (1 word)

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to guide you towards the solution.

Okay, to go one step back, it says in the question the beam is balanced. So what can you say about the clockwise and anti-clockwise moments?

Answer: the clockwise and anti-clockwise moments are _ _ _ _ _ (1 word)
    equal?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    equal?
    Correct.

Now the anti-clockwise moment is equal to ? * ?

And the clockwise moment is equal to ??? + ???

And since they are equal, x = ?

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

Now the anti-clockwise moment is equal to ? * ?

And the clockwise moment is equal to ??? + ???

And since they are equal, x = ?
    500*20=200*x+200*40, x=10 cm, but it says that the answer is 30 cm

ReputationRep:
    500*20=200*x+200*40, x=10 cm, but it says that the answer is 30 cm
    I guess it has smth to do with the weight of the beam=800 N
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I guess it has smth to do with the weight of the beam=800 N
    That was my initial thought, however the beam is uniform and the pivot is in the centre. Hence the distance of the force due to the weight is 0 from the centre, and so it has no impact if you take moments about where the weight is (which we know is the centre)

I suspect that the answer is just incorrect, I do not see anything else that can be done,

ReputationRep:
    That was my initial thought, however the beam is uniform and the pivot is in the centre. Hence the distance of the force due to the weight is 0 from the centre, and so it has no impact if you take moments about where the weight is (which we know is the centre)

I suspect that the answer is just incorrect, I do not see anything else that can be done,
    I guess so as well, what about the next one? 8000(moment to the right off the pivot)=200(50-x)+10*(what? 30?)

ReputationRep:
    I agree, x=10cm.

I guess so as well, what about the next one? 8000(moment to the right off the pivot)=200(50-x)+10*(what? 30?)
    The clockwise moment of the 800N load is 8000Ncm. The anti-clockwise moment of the 200N load is not what you've written - remember, we're taking moments about the pivot.

The uniform beam is 60cm, so we model its weight as a single force at the centre - how far from the pivot is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    I agree, x=10cm.

The clockwise moment of the 800N load is 8000Ncm. The anti-clockwise moment of the 200N load is not what you're wirtten - remember, we're taking moments about the pivot.

The uniform beam is 60cm, so we model its weight as a single force at the centre - how far from the pivot is that?
    20 cm? 8000=200x+10*20, i got it. Thank you all!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.