The Student Room Group

Am I being too harsh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Not just that, it's the way she writes messages and the things she says aswell.

I know many dumb people who managed to get into uni, uni is hardly a sign of intelligence. People have their own ways of typing messages it's not an English Exam she is free to type the way she wants. I'm also guessing those billionaires who never went to school are also dumbasses. You have more qualification papers then them you must be more intelligent.
Not just that, it's the way she writes messages and the things she says aswell.

When I was looking for a student house I messaged a man who would go on to become my future landlord. The way he wrote in his emails made me think it was a complete joke. It was entirey legit, he is a nice man and a very decent landlord, AND he's a doctor.
I can slightly understand what you mean by the way she writes but remember that many 'intelligent' people write this way for whatever reason.
I am in my second year of uni and I recently joined tinder. Most of the people I have matched with are from my uni but the person I have been talking too recently didn't go to uni, she left college and now id just a waitress. I have arranged to meet up with her this week but I can't shake the fact she doesn't really seem intelligent. The way she words messages and the things she says make me think she isn't smart. I feel bad because we do have some similar interests and we seem to get on but I m thinking about cancelling the date because of the fact she isn't at uni. I know I sound really bad but do you think I'm being too harsh and what do you think I should do?

this is disgusting tbh its not her fault she didn't want to go to uni you should be grateful she still has a job and she is still probably intelligent and could turn out to be rich and famous one day and youd regret it
But people choose to not go to uni for so many reasons other than intellectual based. Going to uni doesn't determine one's intelligence, many smart and successful people didn't go at all. Intelligence isn't just about passing exams, it's having a sense of maturity, and depth and understanding of the goings of the world, to hold philosophies and so much more. Judging on your post, you don't seem to be that intelligent at all.
What's wrong with being 'just a waitress'?
Original post by Seamus123
What's wrong with being 'just a waitress'?

Nothing. It's not just that it's the things she says and the way she writes messages that makes me think she's quite immature
I am in my second year of uni and I recently joined tinder. Most of the people I have matched with are from my uni but the person I have been talking too recently didn't go to uni, she left college and now id just a waitress. I have arranged to meet up with her this week but I can't shake the fact she doesn't really seem intelligent. The way she words messages and the things she says make me think she isn't smart. I feel bad because we do have some similar interests and we seem to get on but I m thinking about cancelling the date because of the fact she isn't at uni. I know I sound really bad but do you think I'm being too harsh and what do you think I should do?

You will never find your perfect woman. They are a thing of fantasy. So their will always be something that you would find something that you would be put off by. BUT the thing is, they will think this about you. They would find something about you that will put them off you. At the end of the day, you got similar interests, that's a massive thing going for you two. Since you haven't stated her beautifullness I am only assuming that she is average in the common eye. But you might find her beautiful which is the main thing, you would be dating her after all, not the people you walk past in the street. Also she might not be uni smart, but she might be intelligent in other fields of life. I wouldn't rule someone out on the occupation and their intelligence. Would you want to go out with some brain box that you can't have a laugh with, or someone not smart, but you can have a laugh with.

At the end of the day, you never know and she could be the one you'll end up kicking yourself for, for not dating her when you had the chance.
Nothing. It's not just that it's the things she says and the way she writes messages that makes me think she's quite immature

What's wrong with being immature ?

What's wrong with being poor ?

What's wrong with being a waitress ?

What's wrong with earning 6 pound an hour ?

What's wrong with having no education ?
Original post by Therec00
What's wrong with being immature ?

What's wrong with being poor ?

What's wrong with being a waitress ?

What's wrong with earning 6 pound an hour ?

What's wrong with having no education ?

Theses nothing wrong with being poor.
Being immature can get annoying after a while.
Having no education means she may be less intelligent and might mean we have less things to talk about
Theses nothing wrong with being poor.
Being immature can get annoying after a while.
Having no education means she may be less intelligent and might mean we have less things to talk about

What's wrong with having less to talk about ?
Original post by Therec00
What's wrong with having less to talk about ?

Well silence is boring
If intelligence is something that you highly value and she doesn't appear to have much of it, then this may be an issue if you were to pursue a relationship with her.
I know I wouldn't be able to date someone who isn't on a similar or higher intellectual wavelength than myself because we just wouldn't have much in common to talk about.
However, you shouldn't judge her intelligence based on her profession and the way she types. Lots of intelligent people use text speak- it doesn't mean they don't know how to articulate themselves.
She could be dyslexic.
While I understand not liking people's way of texting (especially if it's quite out there), you will not know a lot unless you text her for a longer period of time, or meet her up in person. She might be way more interesting and clever in person, even if she's a bit crude then texting. Don't be so judgmental.

You seem very dumb and ignorant, which is ironic!
Reply 55
So long as you don't tell her the reasons why then nah, you're not being harsh for having a preference
You're just a really horrible person. i really hope to god I dont come across a guy like you. Your being really judgemental. And for your information just because this girl is a waitress doesn't mean she's not intelligent nor is she dumb. She has her own reason for not going uni. how do you know she's working to save up for uni? it really doesn't matter what she does. And just because you go uni it doesnt make you "intelligent" either. Do her a favour and stay far far away from her.
Just stop looking down on people because I am a 100 percent sure you are not perfect. NO ONE IS!!!!!
I would say meet up because at the very least you are being confident and know you don't let fear affect you 8-)
You're just a really horrible person. i really hope to god I dont come across a guy like you. Your being really judgemental. And for your information just because this girl is a waitress doesn't mean she's not intelligent nor is she dumb. She has her own reason for not going uni. how do you know she's working to save up for uni? it really doesn't matter what she does. And just because you go uni it doesnt make you "intelligent" either. Do her a favour and stay far far away from her.

How am I horrible? I didn't say it was just because she was a waitress that I thought she wasn't very intelligent is is also the things she says and how she writes her messages. And tbh if you're messaging someone you barely know you need to make your judgement on/impression of them on whatever info you have, everyone will do that on tinder it's not like it's just me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending