Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, My name is Jordan and i'm currently in year 12. After sixth form I want to study Architectural engineering. So far I've seen two universities which interest me, however, I want to see more to widen my options.
    However, I'm stuck for which degree would be better to study. BSc, MEng or BEng. I want to know which one would be more appropriate as well as which one would do well when applying for a job in this subject area.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jordan
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyNerd2000)
    Hello, My name is Jordan and i'm currently in year 12. After sixth form I want to study Architectural engineering. So far I've seen two universities which interest me, however, I want to see more to widen my options.
    However, I'm stuck for which degree would be better to study. BSc, MEng or BEng. I want to know which one would be more appropriate as well as which one would do well when applying for a job in this subject area.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jordan
    MEng is a 4 year integrated masters. (Or 5 if you include a year in industry.)

There may not be a huge difference between BSc and BEng. Check the detailed content of each course. Both are 3 year courses. But also check if they are accredited with the relevant industry body. The BEng is more likely to be.

Not very many universities offer Architectural Engineering. Have you also considered Civil Engineering, it may give you a wider range of choice.

Oh and the MEng can be a more convenient route to becoming a chartered engineer. You generally need 4 years of academic study to satisfy one of the key charter requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Talking in terms of civil engineering here. I'm not that aware of what difference there is between Bsc and BEng though I saw Bsc's on lower ranking universities normally. MEng is a integrated masters over the BEng though you still get Msc's in civil engineering (and possibly architectural), MEng just means the masters is built in with the BEng.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.
    In terms of what you said about doing civil, I have been interested into doing that career however I consider it a late option. If I'm unable to meet the grades I need I'll most likely do that.
    Also, when looking at the universities the y mostly considered Bsc however I saw some with MEng and BEng degrees so I'm consider choosing them.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyNerd2000)
    In terms of what you said about doing civil, I have been interested into doing that career however I consider it a late option. If I'm unable to meet the grades I need I'll most likely do that.
    Also, when looking at the universities the y mostly considered Bsc however I saw some with MEng and BEng degrees so I'm consider choosing them.
    The grade requirements for BEng/MEng Civil Engineering are generally higher than BSc Architectural Engineering.

Also, have you looked at Civil & Architectural Engineering?

e.g. Bath
    http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prosp...eering/detail/
    Southampton
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/enginee...hitecture.page

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.