Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Americans : How can you still love being American? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Yes, I am. Hiii.
    oh cool! Hi My friend Adrian's from there, i'd love to visit one day
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in both the UK and US and gotta say I love the US a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    I don't mean this in an offensive or insulting way but just curious on the offchance there are some Americans here on their opinion. I still see patriotism has huge power in America, even the most intelligent, progressive, liberal says they love America. I get that it is something ingrained since childhood with the pledge of Allegiance and I understand the reasoning behind that.
    wow..
    but america is literally the most successful country in history.
    they are the wealthiest, most powerful, most scientifically advanced etc nation out there, they won the cold war, they are a hegemon, they control the world economic institutions, and they are at th helm of english speaking culture to a great extent
    how can you just shrug all that off and say "how can you be patriotic?" that's insane
    (I'm not an american though - I'm just stating facts)

I just look at America now and I find it hard to see anything to love, except some of the wonderful people I know there. I know a lot of people around the world are patriotic to the point of finding it hard to criticise their country for doing wrong... but in America it has always gone a bit past that... but I just don't think I would be proud of being American right now, personally. I feel like right now the main things people say about being American are starting to apply less and less..e.g. land of the free
    how is america no longer the land of the free?
    although I think while america used to be "the" land of the free, it is now simply "a" land of the free
    they're freer than us at least in a lot of ways.

ReputationRep:
    You're literally saying you don't understand how someone can be proud of their country because of Trump. He's been president for less than month, the USA has existed for hundreds of years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    I'm not American but:

You can't define the entire of America with the actions of one man and his supporters. (He didn't even gain the most votes, and only became President of how the electoral system works.) Despite all that's he's done, you can see so many Americans demonstrating against the injustice they see, and I think how they're uniting and protesting to achieve fairness is something to be proud of.
    Yes this is totally true and sorry if my OP came off this way... I actually have wonderful friends and family that are American and they are kind and loving and smart. The reason I didn't ask them is because I wouldn't want to offend them in case they read it like you did.

My main point was really when America is so associated with homophobia, racism, bigotry and it is undeniably rife... when they have a healthcare system that discriminates against the poor (I have met quite a few victims of this) and profits off of people being sick and dying... when their government destroys other countries and lives with war and other type of meddling/influence (yes I know other countries do this too but that's not the point) I was just curious about what aspects they were proud of... especially as I don't personally really understand extreme patriotism since I've never felt it. Just curiosity rather than an attack. I don't really think pointing out flaws in a country should be offensive. Also don't mean to imply that there aren't a whole load of citizens that dedicate their lives to combating these issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    You're literally saying you don't understand how someone can be proud of their country because of Drumpf. He's been president for less than month, the USA has existed for hundreds of years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We're living in the present. I had no influence on what happened 100 years ago and nor did most people alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    We're living in the present. I had no influence on what happened 100 years ago and nor did most people alive.
    You can still be proud of past achievements

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.