Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Queenie becomes first British monarch to reach SapphireJubilee after 65-year reign Watch

ReputationRep:
    God save the Queen and may your life be long, keep it up Liz
    and best of wishes to you for the upcoming year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I've always assumed her longevity and good health is a consequence of a diet of corgi, green veg and gin.
    supplemented with Duchy biscuits™
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I really like her, she's set a really good example for consistency and restraint, focusing on long-term bigger picture issues. It's really to be admired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    I really like her, she's set a really good example for consistency and restraint, focusing on long-term bigger picture issues. It's really to be admired.
    Because waving one's hand in public is a fooookin chore. She could have the prime ministers head on a plate if she wanted to and also annex canada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    She can't just walk out the front door on her own whenever she feels like it without the Royal Protection people being with her. I read recently her and Phillip like to go into a local restaurant when they are staying in Balmoral. But I doubt they can just turn up on a whim whenever they feel like it. Their chauffeur would need to be available, unless she drove herself. Also at least one royal protection person would have to accompany her as well, so although it may be just the two of them dining at the table there would also be someone else close by, keeping an eye on things. When she's out in public on engagements it would be essential for her to behave in a certain way at all times. Usually with having to fix a smile on her face, even when she doesn't feel like it. Also, has she ever been able to do her own supermarket shopping ? I don't know, but I doubt it.
    I would imagine the security people are pretty good at blending and she and Phil must be very used to it, almost like having a favourite pet always within reach. I don't suppose she suffers that badly in situations like that, but of course it's very difficult for her to casually meet 'ordinary' people.

I liked it in the film Queen when she drives her Defender across rugged terrain and when it goes wrong, knows what's wrong with it! She's quite something really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Her sister, Margaret, had a much happier life. Playboy millionaire boyfriends and hanging out with them on their yachts in the South of France; doing practically whatever she wanted her whole life. Only real responsibilities was being patron to a few charities. The Queen became Queen however when she was 21. OK, she lives somewhere very nice and has servants and some nice jewels, but she has never really had any freedom. Don't envy her at all.
    She also died when she was 71. Not my idea of a long, happy life, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batgirl98)
    She also died when she was 71. Not my idea of a long, happy life, really.
    Yes, she was a heavy smoker.

ReputationRep:
    Her Most Royal Britannic Majesty, Elizabeth of the House Windsor, second of her name, Protector of the Realm and Defender of the Faith- I wish you a happy 65th anniversary for your accession!

ReputationRep:
    No matter what people think of the monarchy, can't deny this is a brilliant achievement

ReputationRep:
    Ok,

ReputationRep:
    May her reign continue for many years.

ReputationRep:
    So happy for her. May her reign continue for many years.

ReputationRep:
    I remember when it was her Diamond Jubilee, I still have the Scout badge for that

I've no great love for the monarchy but I do have a soft spot for the national anthem - this gave me an excuse to listen to it again. May she defend our laws, and ever give us cause, to sing with heart and voice, Go-od save the Queen... :flute:

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.