Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DO you like the royal family? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erkutakgok)
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    I was being serious… I admire the queen for everything her ancestors did for this country and it's freedom, we'd be crazy to abolish this monarchy because it's not only ours, it's the commonwealth's. It comes with huge history and they should make this country proud to be British, it's one of the things people expect from us, that we strongly admire our queen and her family as they do also. I see no point in abolishing them unless they engage in acts of tyranny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JooW)
    The Crown own more land than anyone else. Profits from the estates they own all goes to the government, to the tune of £250-300m a year, so without even accounting for the billions they rake in for us in tourism, they benefit us massively

In response to the person above, they do get paid, yes, but it is an odd system whereby they take £40M from the gov but they give the gov £250m or so, like said. Many of the royal family members have worked; the Queen is in her 90s so can't work obviously but you'll find many of them have participated in wars and the like
    Exactly. They're always engaging in voluntary work and in fact because of their political impartiality they're more respected… I personally (I know many will disagree) think they should be given more political power. But they certainly don't cost this country and if they do I'm sure it's justifiable since it's one of the main things that made and makes this country so great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleNerple)
    "some of them", some of the time.
    and they have an absolute abundance of time to do what they want
    and obviously they'll attempt to do things that will make the monarchy look flashy
    I mean, really, it's all water under the bridge
    in whatever they do in life, they will be pampered and bum-kissed. prince harry in the military was probably on a deck chair with a martini while the other privates were actually training. I'm exaggerating, but the point I'm making is still real.
    prince william got into st andrews uni (better than mine by a few league table positions) with far worse a levels than me - but his father's situation was way worse. he got a B and a C and got into cambridge. how is that justified? this is emblematic of the lives they lead, even in their "charitable" lives ffs.

don't you think they could be doing WAY more than merely this with all the time and money they have?!

well you're just simply wrong
    Yh kinda unfair considering I was rejected by oxford with A*A*A (Yes A*s didnt exist back in that ***** day but even if you consider them as A grades its still unfair).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    I was being serious… I admire the queen for everything her ancestors did for this country and it's freedom, we'd be crazy to abolish this monarchy because it's not only ours, it's the commonwealth's. It comes with huge history and they should make this country proud to be British, it's one of the things people expect from us, that we strongly admire our queen and her family as they do also. I see no point in abolishing them unless they engage in acts of tyranny
    You must be a Daily Mail reader.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I dislike the idea of a hereditary monarchy, I admit that they are... useful for generating a strong tourism industry. Would be interesting to see how much money could be generated in comparison, by turning royal residences into museums and such, in the event of becoming a republic. Probably not as much as with living monarchs in, but still a decent amount I'd expect.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of relying on a bunch of german nazis, the government should just make amazon, google etc pay their share of f***ing taxes. With May as pm, the country has no hope of returning to its former glory. If J.Corbyn stands up and becomes more active the country might one day.
    Tax has nothing to do with the royal family...? The government relies on the Royal Family for literally nothing and they have no control over tax. That's like saying Cadbury should get rid of Freddo because Chocolate Buttons aren't doing so well in sales. Two totally different things that don't affect each other.

Considering the Queen served in WW2, I can't see how she's a Nazi? You'll probably find you're Germanic at some point in your recent history, or maybe even a bit of Irish; you must be in the IRA!

ReputationRep:
    You must be a Daily Mail reader.
    I hate the Daily Mail. Only read The Guardian (not all authors tho) and Independent. I love news with facts which lets me do the deciding, I don't need idiots such as those at the Daily Mail to make up my mind for me. Quit stereotyping and maybe actually have pride in the country you live in, people in other countries admire the monarch so should you considering the money and respect the government gets thanks to them.

ReputationRep:
    "some of them", some of the time.
    and they have an absolute abundance of time to do what they want
    and obviously they'll attempt to do things that will make the monarchy look flashy
    I mean, really, it's all water under the bridge
    in whatever they do in life, they will be pampered and bum-kissed. prince harry in the military was probably on a deck chair with a martini while the other privates were actually training. I'm exaggerating, but the point I'm making is still real.
    prince william got into st andrews uni (better than mine by a few league table positions) with far worse a levels than me - but his father's situation was way worse. he got a B and a C and got into cambridge. how is that justified? this is emblematic of the lives they lead, even in their "charitable" lives ffs.

don't you think they could be doing WAY more than merely this with all the time and money they have?!

well you're just simply wrong
    That's simply because 1) he doesn't need the degree 2) the university sees it as an honour for him to attend. If you did something significant like invent a formula for prime numbers I'm sure the maths department at Cambridge/Oxford would be honoured to take you in. If you were a celebrity even. Oxford is quite lenient to relatives of/and world leaders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierosemason1)
    I personally hate them, what are your views?
    Although it is not logical for me to hate some I have never met...

Suffice to say I am the biggest 'Republican' on our shabbily-led planet.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't like nor dislike them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    That's simply because 1) he doesn't need the degree 2) the university sees it as an honour for him to attend. If you did something significant like invent a formula for prime numbers I'm sure the maths department at Cambridge/Oxford would be honoured to take you in. If you were a celebrity even. Oxford is quite lenient to relatives of/and world leaders
    1) "didn't need the degree" for what? I'm not alleging he needed it for something specific other than for personal status.
    2) univesities shouldn't be so unfair, inconsistent and dishonourable to be dazzled by something as arbitrary as royal family membership. they should be a lot more fair, neutral and objective.
    3) I never said I deserved to go to cambridge. I simply said that the royal family members don't. and william doesn't even deserve to be in ****ing st. andrews. it's insane. universities should be fair in their applications processes, surely?!

ReputationRep:
    Yh kinda unfair considering I was rejected by oxford with A*A*A (Yes A*s didnt exist back in that ***** day but even if you consider them as A grades its still unfair).
    well there you go - the royal family members benefit from enormously unjustified social privileging and hence they shouldn't be so admired by their peasants.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    gotta love harry

ReputationRep:
    Why? They have no power in parliament. Getting rid of the monarchy is not a difficult task; just those daily mail readers to get rid of.
    The queen doesn't have political power but she is still the head of parliament. Parliament has developed over hundreds of years around the monarch. You can't just remove the monarch and go on as before. The whole system is built on traditions and conventions. If the monarch was removed, it would all be up in the air.

Even if the monarch sits there doing nothing, it is important to keep them so we can continue to have the stable and effective system we do.

ReputationRep:
    prince harry in the military was probably on a deck chair with a martini while the other privates were actually training. I'm exaggerating, but the point I'm making is still real.
    No, the point you're making is bolleaux. A complete fabrication.
    I have friends who served alongside Harry, and I myself saw William during the time I served.

prince william got into st andrews uni (better than mine by a few league table positions) with far worse a levels than me - but his father's situation was way worse. he got a B and a C and got into cambridge. how is that justified?
    It's justified by this thing called 'time'. You might have heard of it.

You see, a side effect of this thing called time is that things change.

You got an A* at A level. This means you did your A levels at least 10 years after William did his.
    Never heard of grade inflation?

St Andrews' entry requirements have, oddly enough, changed over time. William's ABC grades were perfectly adequate for entry in 2001. As were his father's grades in 1967.

But of course, that doesn't fit your narrative of a poor little commonor getting screwed over by the elites... All 2 of them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunshine1512)
    The queen should be made to retire at 60 then the throne passsed on to her son, i mean first of all what is the point of royalty as they don't actually do anything appart from bring in tourists and money and two it's like the queen sneezed once and they declare her ill, I think she should at least be making more appearances rather than eating off of gold plates and living in a house with around 600 rooms when refugees aren't allowed and people complain saying there is no space for them.

So NO I dislike the royal familly.
    Well, the Queen actually has a vast amount of responsibilities that she has to carry not including reading completely and signing every piece of legislation, advising the prime minister, representing the nation overseas and heads the privy council to name just a few.

It's a full time job she isn't paid for and she's famously frugal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    No, the point you're making is bolleaux. A complete fabrication.
    I have friends who served alongside Harry, and I myself saw William during the time I served.
    sorry, you're not giving me proof, you're giving me an anecdote. so your post is pretty meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, you're not giving me proof, you're giving me an anecdote. so your post is pretty meaningless.
    And you've given nothing but completely unfounded conjecture. You're getting the cynicism and condescension your post and attitude warrants.

Burden of proof. Look it up.

And you completely ignored the point about being entirely wrong about university entry.

ReputationRep:
    Prince Philip is a ****ing legend.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mir...65-1445185.amp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierosemason1)
    I personally hate them, what are your views?
    Personally, I have loved the royal family since the royal wedding, but why do you hate them? I understand if you don't like them - but hate?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.