help please
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Reply 2
Original post by mervin101
help please
Attachment not found

Thread moved to maths. Please post in the maths forum for maths subject questions, thanks :smile:

For this question, can you tell us what you've tried and post your working?
help please

The difference between u2u_2 and u1u_1 is the same as the difference between u3u_3 and u2u_2
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
The difference between u2u_2 and u1u_1 is the same as the difference between u3u_3 and u2u_2

is that something i have to remember?
is that something i have to remember?

Of course. That's a fundamental property of an arithmetic sequence - the difference between each term is the same.
Reply 6
Of course. That's a fundamental property of an arithmetic sequence - the difference between each term is the same.

so i wrote out this:
u3-u2 = u2-u1

so

(4k+1) - (2k+5) = (2k+5) - (k-2)

obviously i have to show k=11 so do I group the k terms and numbers?
so i wrote out this:
u3-u2 = u2-u1

so

(4k+1) - (2k+5) = (2k+5) - (k-2)

obviously i have to show k=11 so do I group the k terms and numbers?

Yes, just solve for k.
Reply 8
Yes, just solve for k.

i have done A but how do i do b? is it differentiation? does f''(x) mean differentiate second principle

10.png
i have done A but how do i do b? is it differentiation? does f''(x) mean differentiate second principle

f(x)f''(x) denotes the second derivative of f(x)f(x) - which can be equivalently called to be the first derivative of f(x)f'(x). So yes just differentiate again.
Reply 10
f(x)f''(x) denotes the second derivative of f(x)f(x) - which can be equivalently called to be the first derivative of f(x)f'(x). So yes just differentiate again.

thanks
i got f''(x) = 8+2x^-3

so that ^ was the second differential but what was the first? was it the function given? or 8x - x^-2 ?
thanks
i got f''(x) = 8+2x^-3

so that ^ was the second differential but what was the first? was it the function given? or 8x - x^-2 ?

The first derivative is given by f(x)f'(x) as I told you so yes it is 8xx28x-x^{-2}, but if you meant what the original function is, you need to integrate the first derivative function.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
The first derivative is given by f(x)f'(x) as I told you so yes it is 8xx28x-x^{-2}, but if you meant what the original function is, you need to integrate the original function.

i understand now thank you

for c) to find f(x) do i integrate 8x-x^-2?

its 7 marks and im clueless
i understand now thank you

for c) to find f(x) do i integrate 8x-x^-2?

its 7 marks and im clueless

Yes..
Reply 14
Yes..

but i dont understand the question
at first i thought "determine an equation of the curve" meant use the equation of a line (y-y1=m(x-x1)
y-y1=m(x-x1) is for finding the equation of a line. The question wants you to find the formula of a curve.
As y=f(x) you can the equation of the curve by integrating f'(x).
Reply 16
Original post by TheFirstOrder
y-y1=m(x-x1) is for finding the equation of a line. The question wants you to find the formula of a curve.
As y=f(x) you can the equation of the curve by integrating f'(x).

Understood. So generally when I am asked to find the equation of a curve must I integrate?
Understood. So generally when I am asked to find the equation of a curve must I integrate?

Depends on the context.

Quick Reply

Latest