Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pay for 2nd degree with inheritance- yey or nay?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've received inheritance which I'm considering using to pay my way through a degree....its enough for the tuition fees and 4 years worth of my current wage so I would be able to pay my mortgage etc. Been in my admin job for 5 years which I feel so unsatisfied with and would love to start a new career in biomedical science (iv started distance learning Alevels to get my UCAS entry points).
    My first degree is a subject have no interest in (did it 10 years ago) and it also disqualifies me from any further student finance. Biggest regret doing that degree!
    Anyway it's obviously a big decision I just would like thoughts on. I like to look at it as a bit of an investment as after the degree I could potentially earn a good wage and from studying the Alevels I would love a career in science. My worry is whether I should follow that or keep working in admin and keep the money for the future because that seems the more sensible route. The inheritance has come from company dividends so there is a possibility of future income from that too. Any views are very welcome!

ReputationRep:
    Difficult one.

On the one hand, spending out tangible cash on extortionate university fees for a second degree is generally not advisable. It seldom helps. Biomedical science is an oversubscribed area already, so there's a real risk you go through the degree and come out without a job in that area anyway.

On the other hand, you only get one life. If you dislike what you currently do and have a genuine passion for this (not a passion that developed a week ago after watching a movie...), then maybe it's best to just go for it!

Ultimately it's your money, think very hard before you spend it as you can't get a refund on a degree

ReputationRep:
    do some work experience first (maybe a week or two) if you can just to see if you like the actual job and not the romanticized version

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amphoteric18)
    I've received inheritance which I'm considering using to pay my way through a degree....its enough for the tuition fees and 4 years worth of my current wage so I would be able to pay my mortgage etc. Been in my admin job for 5 years which I feel so unsatisfied with and would love to start a new career in biomedical science (iv started distance learning Alevels to get my UCAS entry points).
    My first degree is a subject have no interest in (did it 10 years ago) and it also disqualifies me from any further student finance. Biggest regret doing that degree!
    Anyway it's obviously a big decision I just would like thoughts on. I like to look at it as a bit of an investment as after the degree I could potentially earn a good wage and from studying the Alevels I would love a career in science. My worry is whether I should follow that or keep working in admin and keep the money for the future because that seems the more sensible route. The inheritance has come from company dividends so there is a possibility of future income from that too. Any views are very welcome!
    Personally, I would say have a very big think about what degree you'd like to study, and if you do have a passion for biomedical science, or whatever takes your interest, then i'd say go for it.

I'm studying a second degree with the Open University, and self-funding through stacking shelves - but if a stack of money fell in my lap i'd love to do another degree at a brick university.

Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    What was the subject of your first degree?

ReputationRep:
    Think it through first. I think you would really have to like the subject and see it as useful to your career path if you were to put the money into doing another undergraduate degree. If you can see it as beneficial to your future plans, then I would go for it, considering you have the money to support yourself in the meantime.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.