shadowdweller learns languages! Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

TSR's Got Talent 2017!
    Nurture Your Talent

What's your talent?
    Language learning; I'm going to be doing BSL and Japanese for my entry :yep:

How will you be measuring progress?
    To be decided - most likely by the number of words/phrases learnt, but I'll refine this when it comes to my first progress post :work:

Planned updates?
    I'm hoping to post once a week with my progress, maybe twice depending on how well it's going!
    Will likely be done via written entries, but maybe recordings/videos if I have time

Want to know more?
    See thisdetails!

• TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in learning BSL too. I know some single words, but not the grammar and my vocab is very limited. How are you planning on learning?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    I'm interested in learning BSL too. I know some single words, but not the grammar and my vocab is very limited. How are you planning on learning?
    I'm learning single words as a starting point, but have found the specification for the first level qualification, so will use that as a start point, and probably use online resources for now
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I'm learning single words as a starting point, but have found the specification for the first level qualification, so will use that as a start point, and probably use online resources for now
    I would be interested in that stuff, if you wouldn't mind sharing?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Have you studied any Japanese before or are you starting from scratch?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    I would be interested in that stuff, if you wouldn't mind sharing?
    More than happy to! Give me a prod tomorrow and I'll send the resources your way

(Original post by miser)
    Have you studied any Japanese before or are you starting from scratch?
    I did a little whilst i was doing GCSEs, but haven't done any since... do you have any top tips for learning?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I did a little whilst i was doing GCSEs, but haven't done any since... do you have any top tips for learning?
    Hmm. Don't be scared of kanji - best to do them little and often. And you've got to use what you learn to make it stick. Do you have people to practise speaking with?

ReputationRep:
    Ganbatte!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    More than happy to! Give me a prod tomorrow and I'll send the resources your way

Could I have them too please?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Hmm. Don't be scared of kanji - best to do them little and often. And you've got to use what you learn to make it stick. Do you have people to practise speaking with?
    That's really helpful, thank you!

I actually don't, but I might tackle reading/writing/listening side first, and then try speaking after that

(Original post by furryface12)
    Could I have them too please?
    Of course! I've just realised they're on my laptop at home, so it will be tomorrow evening, but will definitely send them over
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful, thank you!

I actually don't, but I might tackle reading/writing/listening side first, and then try speaking after that
    Make sure to practise speaking the whole time - reading example sentences aloud is a good idea, as well as talking to yourself using grammar and words you've already learnt. Then, when you get the fundamentals down (around the end of the first book of Genki or Minna no Nihongo), so long as you've been practising speaking as you go along, you should be able to have basic conversations. That was the case for me, anyway.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Make sure to practise speaking the whole time - reading example sentences aloud is a good idea, as well as talking to yourself using grammar and words you've already learnt. Then, when you get the fundamentals down (around the end of the first book of Genki or Minna no Nihongo), so long as you've been practising speaking as you go along, you should be able to have basic conversations. That was the case for me, anyway.
    That's really useful advice, thank you so much!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    :poke:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    :poke:
    Hello! This slightly disappeared under a pile of uni work and my dissertation, but I will get an update out over the weekend, when I have a little more breathing room! Please prod me repeatedly if I forget :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Interested to know how this went?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer1311)
    Interested to know how this went?
    The Japanese never really got off the ground in the end, as I was so busy with university and my dissertation, sadly! BSL went quite well though, and I'm still working through that by adding a sign or two each day. I'm hoping to pick up a course on it once I start my job though, and boost it a bit quicker that way

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.