Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vauxhall Corsa 2003 1.4 Petrol (automatic) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem or any solution to it?

So I've been driving it for 8 months now (yep due for a service which I will be taking soon for an interim).

But the last couple of days when I start the engine it's fine it starts and then makes a loud noise and it's all good. But when I get turn off and come back again it starts to take a bit longer to turn on. As it keeps clugging or making a few noises before finally settling down and almost at one point it took forever to nearly start.

Now I'm not sure if its because of the way its being turned on or how far it should go (if you get what I mean)

But it's worrying, so I'm laying off it till I can actually go get the interim service of some sort but hoping its just not me thats been going through this
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theguynextdoor)
    Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem or any solution to it?

So I've been driving it for 8 months now (yep due for a service which I will be taking soon for an interim).

But the last couple of days when I start the engine it's fine it starts and then makes a loud noise and it's all good. But when I get turn off and come back again it starts to take a bit longer to turn on. As it keeps clugging or making a few noises before finally settling down and almost at one point it took forever to nearly start.

Now I'm not sure if its because of the way its being turned on or how far it should go (if you get what I mean)

But it's worrying, so I'm laying off it till I can actually go get the interim service of some sort but hoping its just not me thats been going through this
    What's its mileage? Any warning lights on the dash? Don't suppose you've got a cheap fault reader hanging around do you?

ReputationRep:
    As well as IWM Tom's points, when you say 'loud noise' where is this loud noise coming from? The engine? Or is it backfiring (making a loud noise out out of the exhaust)? Does it start normally and then make this noise, or does it turn over, make the noise and then start?

Bit more detail will let us help you more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    As well as IWM Tom's points, when you say 'loud noise' where is this loud noise coming from? The engine? Or is it backfiring (making a loud noise out out of the exhaust)? Does it start normally and then make this noise, or does it turn over, make the noise and then start?

Bit more detail will let us help you more.
    I think the engine, it sounds more like i tfrom there. I'm definitely going to go on Friday to check it out and see what's happening when doing the servicing. And no, no warning lights on the dash, when you turn the ignition on and when it starts up all warning lights go off. It feels like it's the way I'm starting the car (I sound like an idiot) I know. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think the engine, it sounds more like i tfrom there. I'm definitely going to go on Friday to check it out and see what's happening when doing the servicing. And no, no warning lights on the dash, when you turn the ignition on and when it starts up all warning lights go off. It feels like it's the way I'm starting the car (I sound like an idiot) I know. Lol.
    This is going to sound silly, but you are releasing the key the second the engine starts, aren't you?

IWMTom I wonder if the starter motor is continuing to be engaged for a second after the engine has started?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's very difficult to start a car wrong :')

I'll be honest, it could be a lot of things, but without warning lights it's unlikely to be anything serious, or that we can diagnose. It will have to be a mechanics job I'm afraid. Don't worry too much about it though!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    IWMTom I wonder if the starter motor is continuing to be engaged for a second after the engine has started?
    Could be a bad starter, a dying battery, blocked filters or fuel lines, faulty sparks, faulty coil pack, the possibilities are endless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    It's very difficult to start a car wrong :'

I'll be honest, it could be a lot of things, but without warning lights it's unlikely to be anything serious, or that we can diagnose. It will have to be a mechanics job I'm afraid. Don't worry too much about it though!
    Haha I know it is, that's why I'm thinking it's definitely not me, lol. And since it's a Vauxhall these things just happen to be like that.

Yeah I'm gonna go to Kwikfit since I've got it booked for this week and just get it serviced and hopefully if there is a problem it can be identified there and then. My thoughts is the dying battery I bet. Hopefully nothing to do with the sparks.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound silly, but you are releasing the key the second the engine starts, aren't you?

Yeah as soon as it starts fully and I can feel/tell its operational I do release it... If I carry on holding it, it just revs up or starts up more which feels weird to me. (If what I've been doing is wrong, I've been doing it for ages now and well RIP. I need to get it checked out asap if that's the problem and need to stop doing it)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Haha I know it is, that's why I'm thinking it's definitely not me, lol. And since it's a Vauxhall these things just happen to be like that.

Yeah I'm gonna go to Kwikfit since I've got it booked for this week and just get it serviced and hopefully if there is a problem it can be identified there and then. My thoughts is the dying battery I bet. Hopefully nothing to do with the sparks.
    Now now, I drive the next model up from yours so don't slam Vauxhall 😉

In future, try and take it to a reputable mechanic as these fast fit places tend to.. well.. be a little unscrupulous when it comes to diagnosing things. Yes you may pay a little bit more, but it's worth it.

The spark plugs are actually cheaper to replace than the battery; I just did mine yesterday for £12.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as soon as it starts fully and I can feel/tell its operational I do release it... If I carry on holding it, it just revs up or starts up more which feels weird to me. (If what I've been doing is wrong, I've been doing it for ages now and well RIP. I need to get it checked out asap if that's the problem and need to stop doing it)
    The vast majority of our car is the same, and if I keep the key held in start nothing happens after the engine starts. IIRC the starter motor has a way of telling when the engine is started and automatically cuts out to prevent damaging it. Are you sure that's happening?

ReputationRep:
    Now now, I drive the next model up from yours so don't slam Vauxhall 😉

In future, try and take it to a reputable mechanic as these fast fit places tend to.. well.. be a little unscrupulous when it comes to diagnosing things. Yes you may pay a little bit more, but it's worth it.

The spark plugs are actually cheaper to replace than the battery; I just did mine yesterday for £12.
    HAha do you now :P

And yeah I agree with that. I just thought for now since I'm really busy and it's quite close to me let's see how it goes but in the future definitely will go to my independent person that I know of. Even though I know it'll charge me way more lol.

And I see £12 is good. Most places would be like that then for £12? I might do that after.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    HAha do you now :P

And yeah I agree with that. I just thought for now since I'm really busy and it's quite close to me let's see how it goes but in the future definitely will go to my independent person that I know of. Even though I know it'll charge me way more lol.

And I see £12 is good. Most places would be like that then for £12? I might do that after.
    They'll probably charge you half an hours labour. Inclusive of everything I wouldn't expect to pay more than £40. If you've got the tools you could easily do it yourself. The coil pack just comes straight up from the engine and you can get your socket down onto the plugs :P

ReputationRep:
    They'll probably charge you half an hours labour. Inclusive of everything I wouldn't expect to pay more than £40. If you've got the tools you could easily do it yourself. The coil pack just comes straight up from the engine and you can get your socket down onto the plugs :P
    Are you talking about the spark plugs or the servicing part haha. And well I'm terrible with these things so I'd rather a mechanic, even though its just Kwik-fit this time.

I should've just gone to the one next to me like half an hour away but it's the timing and how long it would take and when I could actually collect.

ReputationRep:
    Solution: Buy a new car.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about the spark plugs or the servicing part haha. And well I'm terrible with these things so I'd rather a mechanic, even though its just Kwik-fit this time.

I should've just gone to the one next to me like half an hour away but it's the timing and how long it would take and when I could actually collect.
    The spark plugs haha. You never mentioned the mileage of the car; what is it at?

I'll be honest, I struggle being without my car for too long because I'm so busy, so I do tend to take it into my local In n Out servicing place, which is probably just as bad without the oversell.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardon_Collider)
    Solution: Buy a new car.
    BS! Chances of this being an incredibly simple fix are through the roof.

ReputationRep:
    The spark plugs haha. You never mentioned the mileage of the car; what is it at?

I'll be honest, I struggle being without my car for too long because I'm so busy, so I do tend to take it into my local In n Out servicing place, which is probably just as bad without the oversell.
    Oh right! And its at 62k which imo I thought it wasnt too bad, let alone having it for 7+ months

Oh really haha well its good you maintain it though

And to the person who told me to sell the car, no way. I love the car, especially for my age and for the price/insurance its well worth it. Plus I've never had any problems with it and this seems to be a minor one which hopefully can be fixed.

The previous owner has also taken care of the car without any faults so, no, preferably not sell. Lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh right! And its at 62k which imo I thought it wasnt too bad, let alone having it for 7+ months

Oh really haha well its good you maintain it though

And to the person who told me to sell the car, no way. I love the car, especially for my age and for the price/insurance its well worth it. Plus I've never had any problems with it and this seems to be a minor one which hopefully can be fixed.

The previous owner has also taken care of the car without any faults so, no, preferably not sell. Lol
    At 62k it shouldn't have anything seriously wrong with it so it's probably something silly :P

ReputationRep:
    At 62k it shouldn't have anything seriously wrong with it so it's probably something silly :P
    Yeah that's what I was thinking! So yeah I'm just stressing over it for no reason me being like that always lol

But at least now since I'm taking it in, should be even better hopefully ^_^.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.