Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Everything is tight this season other than chelsea so im wondering who will make top 4. My order of top four is:

Chelsea
    Liverpool
    City
    Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Man Utd

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea
    City
    Spurs
    United
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    How come you're backing Liverpool to come second. They're defensively weak and Klopp's high press isn't effective any more. For me:

Chelsea
    City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    How come you're backing Liverpool to come second. They're defensively weak and Klopp's high press isn't effective any more. For me:

Chelsea
    City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Because Liverpool clearly cannot handle playing 2 games a week but they no longer have that so can just use their best team and go on a run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Because Liverpool clearly cannot handle playing 2 games a week but they no longer have that so can just use their best team and go on a run.
    But is there best team good enough? They have no width, sh*t defence and now they're struggling for goals. They aren't changing their tactics either.

ReputationRep:
    But is there best team good enough? They have no width, sh*t defence and now they're struggling for goals. They aren't changing their tactics either.
    That is true, however you cannot understate the importance of fatigue over a season, especially in a tasking system like Liverpools, under Klopp at Dortmund e.g. they tended to do well in the league when they got knocked out of europe early e.g. (10-11 and 11-12) or do well in the CL when they do badly in the league (12-13) and I think it's because Klopp doesn't really have a squad capable of playing his style of football 2 games a week.

Spurs suffered from a similar problem as they play a similar style of play to Liverpool(although they have width with the fullbacks), so they throw away cup games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    That is true, however you cannot understate the importance of fatigue over a season, especially in a tasking system like Liverpools, under Klopp at Dortmund e.g. they tended to do well in the league when they got knocked out of europe early e.g. (10-11 and 11-12) or do well in the CL when they do badly in the league (12-13) and I think it's because Klopp doesn't really have a squad capable of playing his style of football 2 games a week.

Spurs suffered from a similar problem as they play a similar style of play to Liverpool(although they have width with the fullbacks), so they throw away cup games.
    I agree to some extent regarding fatigue, but Spurs did still play some of their strongest lineups in a few Cup games and Liverpool did throw out weak lineups in others too. On balance, I wouldn't say there was that much of a difference between the two.

I'd also add that Spurs have conceded around half as many goals and have nearly twice as many clean sheets. Obviously this means that Spurs are less reliant on outscoring teams as Liverpool are, so they don't have to search for goals as much. Added to that Spurs have Eriksen, Wanyama and Dembele who are better at controlling play than the likes of Henderson and Lucas who don't offer much more than industry

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal finishing outside the top four OR finishing below Spurs must surely convince Mr Wenger that he is spent for good.

ReputationRep:
    Jam isn't being reactive. All teams go through bad spells where people write them off.

Chelsea at start of season.

United not long after.

Arsenal at various points in a typical Arsenal way.

Man City over the last 6-8 weeks.

Liverpool over the last 4 weeks.

See the pattern? Liverpool is most recent so will be the time most write them off.

Anyway it's hard to say. I just struggle to see Liverpool finishing outside of top 4 with no additional games until the end of season with most of the first team back. Second is ambitious but things can change positively just like that so it's difficult to know. Don't think it's unrealistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    jam has been hyping Liverpool for a few years now. I think it's just his way of WUMing us
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think it's so tight that it won't be decided until the very end. Will make a nice change from the last few years when there was nothing to play for on the final day. Last few fixtures as it stands right now:

Spurs: Leicester (A) Arsenal(H) West Ham (A) United (H) Hull (A)
    Possible midweek games: Palace (A)

City: West Brom (H) Middlesbrough (A) Palace (H) Leicester (H) Watford (A)
    Possible midweek games: United (H) Stoke (H)

Arsenal: Sunderland (H) Spurs (A) United (H) Stoke (A) Everton (H)
    Possible midweek games: Southampton (A) Leicester (H)

United: Burnley (A) Swansea (H) Arsenal (A) Spurs (A) Palace (H)
    Possible midweek games: City (A), Southampton (A)

Liverpool: Palace (H) Watford (A) Southampton (H) West Ham (A) Middlesbrough (H)
    Possible midweek games: N/A

Looking at that there's absolutely no chance of City missing out. Arsenal have awful fixtures and United's are even worse, plus they could have a massive fixture pileup if they're still in the EL so it's a miracle if they finish above 6th. Spurs' aren't great either and they always seem to choke in May but may have built up a bit of a buffer by then. Liverpool have great fixtures but seem to struggle against the "lesser" teams.

City are getting a spot, Spurs probably will too and then it's a toss up between Liverpool and Arsenal for 4th. We're not in the race, fixture congestion will murder us. If we're in the FA Cup and/or EL come May Mourinho will quite rightly target those instead.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Man Utd
    Spurs

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea
    Spurs
    United
    City
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    Well the best team was able to break into the top 2 before the new year so I would say they are capable considering other rivals will have extra games to play. If you are basing your point off the past month then Liverpool never had their best team at all coupled with too many players being off form at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Well the best team was able to break into the top 2 before the new year so I would say they are capable considering other rivals will have extra games to play. If you are basing your point off the past month then Liverpool never had their best team at all coupled with too many players being off form at the same time.
    The issue is that Liverpool's high press is being easily bypassed by sides parking the bus and then hitting them on the break. Klopp isn't changing his tactics so this will be an issue. Due to their shoddy defence, Liverpool need to outscore teams by two or three goals to win games, meaning that all their attackers need to be fit and in form all the time.

ReputationRep:
    The issue is that Liverpool's high press is being easily bypassed by sides parking the bus and then hitting them on the break. Klopp isn't changing his tactics so this will be an issue. Due to their shoddy defence, Liverpool need to outscore teams by two or three goals to win games, meaning that all their attackers need to be fit and in form all the time.
    Klopp dealt with this fine during the first half of the season. Obviously it did become an issue once the fixtures started congesting, players were getting injured and started losing form. Agree with Liverpool having to score more than one goal to win games but it's not like Arsenal or City don't have that problem themselves.

In truth, I'm more worried about next season than this one with the extra European games (whether it is CL or EL) coming up.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Klopp dealt with this fine during the first half of the season. Obviously it did become an issue once the fixtures started congesting, players were getting injured and started losing form. Agree with Liverpool having to score more than one goal to win games but it's not like Arsenal or City don't have that problem themselves.

In truth, I'm more worried about next season than this one with the extra European games (whether it is CL or EL) coming up.
    Next season you'll sign more players. There wasn't much of a need to do so this time with no European football.

If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be very worried about the possibility of EL. We've really struggled with it and our squad depth is much better than theirs is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Next season you'll sign more players. There wasn't much of a need to do so this time with no European football.

If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be very worried about the possibility of EL. We've really struggled with it and our squad depth is much better than theirs is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think Mourinho taking half a season to find his best XI had more to do with why you struggled but the extra EL games didn't help his cause. CL isn't much better than EL is tbh, the top teams usually have better squads when competing in the CL hence why they don't suffer as much as teams competing in the EL but European football regardless is still taxing if you don't have a good enough squad, look at Leicester this season and they arn't even in the EL.

ReputationRep:

Teams haven't set themselves to hit Liverpool on the break until now which is why they've being doing worse recently. I have doubts about Arsenal cracking the top four let alone top two. Man City have the issue, but I do think that attacking wise they have enough fire power to score goals.

(Original post by sr90)
    They did need a couple of defenders and a centre mid.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.