Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last week I accepted my first choice uni, Surrey, with an English Literature and Creative Writing degree. But today I had a panic. I have loved theatre, and have been performing since I was 3 and I absolutely love it and genuinely cannot imagine it not being in my life. So now I am panicking. I don't want to change my degree because I love my subject and am so excited to start learning everything. But the only job I can genuinely see myself in, is theatre. I want to perform on stage doing Shakespeare etc
    I dont know what to do because to make it in theatre you need to have graft and a thick skin, where I lack so much confidence and self-belief. Idk whether I should just carry on with what I have chosen and if I feel the same way in 3/4 years then start auditioning...?! Idk help meeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuutupcharli)
    Last week I accepted my first choice uni, Surrey, with an English Literature and Creative Writing degree. But today I had a panic. I have loved theatre, and have been performing since I was 3 and I absolutely love it and genuinely cannot imagine it not being in my life. So now I am panicking. I don't want to change my degree because I love my subject and am so excited to start learning everything. But the only job I can genuinely see myself in, is theatre. I want to perform on stage doing Shakespeare etc
    I dont know what to do because to make it in theatre you need to have graft and a thick skin, where I lack so much confidence and self-belief. Idk whether I should just carry on with what I have chosen and if I feel the same way in 3/4 years then start auditioning...?! Idk help meeeee
    Hey there,
    I should disclose that I didn't attend university. However, I believe I can help you. If theatre is what you truly want to pursue, do not change the subject. We are always our own worst critics and anyone who does anything creative (I write) can attest to that. Have you ever considered that lack of confidence and self-belief could actually be an advantage to some parts. I remember watching a YouTube video on screenwriting and the film in discussion was Black Swan. It talked about how only Natalie Portman's character was the only one who could play the white swan, because she had that vulnerability the part required. Now obviously I've never done theatre but I'd imagine it probably works in a similar way. Absolutely, you need confidence and self-belief in order to succeed. But you can build that, there are plenty of books that can help (The magic of thinking big by David Schwartz for example is one) and what you must consider that the best way to gain confidence is to take aggressive action against the things are most afraid of doing. Most people are afraid of taking action. Plus, I bet for a fact that there are many of the people who you would consider confident that feel the exact same way you do! So, my advice would be to keep pursuing the passion and use what you perceive as your weaknesses as strengths. Use that doubt. Use that vulnerability. Use all of those things and go for that life you want. Finally, do you want to look back in regret because you allowed your fear to stop you? Of course not. Relax, detach from yourself, you've got this. I wish you the best of luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.