Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've tried to find a relatable post on here but everyone who's considering dropping out of sixth form does it because they don't like it or want to move on to college, I want to drop out of year 13 because I'm failing all my subjects and there's no point in staying if I won't gain anything from it. I wanted to go to uni but obviously that's not really an option anymore and I don't know what to do with myself, any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by pineappleonpizza)
    I've tried to find a relatable post on here but everyone who's considering dropping out of sixth form does it because they don't like it or want to move on to college, I want to drop out of year 13 because I'm failing all my subjects and there's no point in staying if I won't gain anything from it. I wanted to go to uni but obviously that's not really an option anymore and I don't know what to do with myself, any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
    Talk to a careers advisor at national careers.

Be honest with yourself and your ability. It is possible if you are bright enough that you could work hard and get the grades you need. If you took TSR as typical then people will tell you they have gone from very low grades to very high ones in no time at all because TSR is full of gifted children.

If you really dont think it will happen, then you cant leave education or training till 18, so you need to sort that out. Its unlikely they will chase you for this.

Consider your options:

- College vocational course.

- Restart A levels or BTEC's.

- Apprenticeship. It is important to get a good one and in something that has potential.

- Dont rule out the fact you can redo a levels, do a foundation or access course. No need for you yo go to uni now, you could get a job and go to uni several years down the line when you are ready. the worst mistake imo is stumbling onto a degree just because everyone else goes and wasting your one off finance chance that you will repay for the next 30 years.

You still have options and plenty of time, just research your options and make the best choices for you and what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineappleonpizza)
    Id stick it out now- getting bad grades out of it is better than getting nothing.
    You have to be in education until 18 anyway.
    Think about and look into what you want to do after a-levels- e.g. college course, apprenticeship, even re-doing your a-levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.