Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Top boarding school to introduce emergency meditation to calm children during class Watch

ReputationRep:
    Of course the school is in Brighton - in Brighton we've in our bubble - open-minded, liberal, green-minded, generally blissed out, like our yoga, have a strong appreciation for plant-based food and up for trying most things.

It's shame this isn't being rolled out in the local-comp (yet!) instead in £40,000 a year Brighton College will be encouraging meditation in the classroom.

From September, all teachers in the school will be supplied with an “emergency” meditation kit in order to quell boisterous youngsters during class. The kit will consist of videos, audio recordings and background information on how to conduct three-minute mediation sessions during lessons.

"Newly appointed director of creative learning, Thomas Godber, said: “Simple mindfulness techniques like asking children to feel themselves sitting in the chair, feel their feet and the sensation of their socks and shoes on their feet – this will allow them to concentrate and feel more relaxed.”
    Full story here

Personally this is is a great idea, and I believe something schools should be given the time and resources to do more of.

I think though that meditation needs to be taught in nursery, infants and junior schools to help it become a more natural part of daily routine.

Meditation isn't about controlling behaviour, it's about creating space, getting out of your head and generating a sense of calm in our bodies.

Thoughts?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Of course the school is in Brighton - in Brighton we've in our bubble - open-minded, liberal, green-minded, generally blissed out, like our yoga, have a strong appreciation for plant-based food and up for trying most things.

It's shame this isn't being rolled out in the local-comp (yet!) instead in £40,000 a year Brighton College will be encouraging meditation in the classroom.

Full story here

Personally this is is a great idea, and I believe something schools should be given the time and resources to do more of.

I think though that meditation needs to be taught in nursery, infants and junior schools to help it become a more natural part of daily routine.

Meditation isn't about controlling behaviour, it's about creating space, getting out of your head and generating a sense of calm in our bodies.

Thoughts?
    Some teachers in my school encourages meditation before lessons. It's pretty interesting tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Meditation has never been a thing I could do in an emergency. Like you said, it has to be routine.

Also, having said this, I don't take to meditation well at all. I end up getting frustrated with myself for not being able to relax properly, and that just defeats the purpose.

ReputationRep:
    'Emergency' meditation sounds slightly contradictory! Although I remember reading somewhere about schools introducing meditation/mindfulness sessions instead of detentions and I believe that went relatively well. Our course has just introduced a compulsory mindfulness section of the course to teach people how to relax. I personally find it useless, but I know a lot of people find that it benefits them! It will be interesting to use this as a pilot and see whether it does have a beneficial effect!
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    Meditation only works when done properly.

It's a nice idea, but I don't know if you could relax and meditate with your classmates and teacher.....

Plus that's not what you do when there's an emergency. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Some teachers in my school encourages meditation before lessons. It's pretty interesting tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's brilliant, a little meditation mid-morning and mid-afternoon (after lunch) is ideal.

Do you meditate? How do you find it?

(Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Meditation has never been a thing I could do in an emergency. Like you said, it has to be routine.

Also, having said this, I don't take to meditation well at all. I end up getting frustrated with myself for not being able to relax properly, and that just defeats the purpose.
    Have you tried a guided meditation? That's nice because you focus your attention on whatever it is their saying, rather than just following your breath which I agree can be tricky when you're just starting out.

Try and be kind to yourself, at least you're trying

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried a guided meditation? That's nice because you focus your attention on whatever it is their saying, rather than just following your breath which I agree can be tricky when you're just starting out.

Try and be kind to yourself, at least you're trying
    I've downloaded the headspace app like 5 times and never got past the second one.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    That's brilliant, a little meditation mid-morning and mid-afternoon (after lunch) is ideal.

Do you meditate? How do you find it?
    Actually after lunch meditation makes me feel sleepy which is not beneficial for class .

Yes sometimes, it's a nice way to not think about anything before starting class where you are supposed to be learning new things. It's like clearing your brain a bit before getting more information in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'The kit will consist of videos, audio recordings and background information on how to conduct three-minute mediation sessions during lessons'.

One assumes that the last item is for preparatory reading and not something to be embarked on for the first time in the event of an 'emergency'?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.