Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

university league tables?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i thought id have a look at the guardian and times league tables but they are really confusing! for example in one middlesex uni is no 13th then in the other its at 80 something!!
    Should i just not go by these?
    i wanted to go to portsmouth uni but everyone ive said this to says its not very good university.

im looking at doing business info tech/ business info systems.
    eek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunderstorm)
    i thought id have a look at the guardian and times league tables but they are really confusing! for example in one middlesex uni is no 13th then in the other its at 80 something!!
    i wanted to go to portsmouth uni but everyone ive said this to says its not very good university.

eek!
    The Grauniads tables are a joke, ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    Actually Portsmouth is one of the best out of all the former Polytechnics, and only just missed out on acheiving University status before the 1992 reform.

The people you're speaking to probably look at Pompey, see it's not a redbrick and automatically dismiss it in the snobby manner that it done so often these days. Decide for yourself. If you like the look of the course and university, go for it. At the end of the day, it's your future, not anybody elses.

ReputationRep:
    I use the Times guide however I don't like how they use A-Level entry grades as a calculator for the rankings - the A-Level grades doesn't tell you anything about the course - it just tells you how hard it is to get it which the guide isn't meant to be about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I use the Times guide however I don't like how they use A-Level entry grades as a calculator for the rankings - the A-Level grades doesn't tell you anything about the course - it just tells you how hard it is to get it which the guide isn't meant to be about.
    Im uncomfortable with the importance of A-Level grades for entry in the Times table, though i think they should be published seperately without having any affect on a universities ranking. The fact the Guardian discriminates against unis with high private school entry ratio and rewards those with high entry from people with low income puts me off them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nan Siarich)
    Im uncomfortable with the importance of A-Level grades for entry in the Times table, though i think they should be published seperately without having any affect on a universities ranking. The fact the Guardian discriminates against unis with high private school entry ratio and rewards those with high entry from people with low income puts me off them.
    Yeh that would be best.

(Original post by Chubb)

If course is more difficut to get onto then you would expect the ability levels of the people on the course to be higher and therefore you wll be in a more intelectually stimulating environment. This has less importance for science subjects but in the arts it is beneficial to be around brighter students as this aids your own development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    If course is more difficut to get onto then you would expect the ability levels of the people on the course to be higher and therefore you wll be in a more intelectually stimulating environment. This has less importance for science subjects but in the arts it is beneficial to be around brighter students as this aids your own development.
    Thats a valid point however it doesnt really justify the inclusion of entry points in the determination of the overall league tables as they dont really tell you about the quality of the university as the other types of data do. A-Level points only tell you about the reputation of the university rather than quality, and if they take that into account they may as well give points for number of years the university has existed as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunderstorm)

eek!
    Dont bother with crappy league tables, they use dodgy methods to rank unis, hence the wild variations from table to table. Use the facts instead, located at: www.qaa.ac.uk/

Thats a valid point however it doesnt really justify the inclusion of entry points in the determination of the overall league tables as they dont really tell you about the quality of the university as the other types of data do. A-Level points only tell you about the reputation of the university rather than quality, and if they take that into account they may as well give points for number of years the university has existed as well.
    IMO the quality of a university is heavily dependent on the students attending it. If a university cannot attract a significant proportion of "top quality" applicants then surely this dos in fact reflect on the university. Admittely a group of 18 year olds are not the best at making decisions and therefore the results can be midleading but if interpreted correctly and in context then I don't see why they are not an indicator of a good university. :confused:

(Original post by Dajo123)
    Dont bother with crappy league tables, they use dodgy methods to rank unis, hence the wild variations from table to table. Use the facts instead, located at: www.qaa.ac.uk/
    Look at the dates on the reports.

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    still - better than an unexplained mark out of 24
    Good point, they are still well worth reading but most of the issues raised will surely have been corrected by now (unless they have had a propper admin nightmare). I never really understood the marking thing, I read one report and thought that it absolutely slated the place but then it got a score of 23 or something similar. It was like a flashbak to the Hutton Report or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    IMO the quality of a university is heavily dependent on the students attending it. If a university cannot attract a significant proportion of "top quality" applicants then surely this dos in fact reflect on the university. Admittely a group of 18 year olds are not the best at making decisions and therefore the results can be midleading but if interpreted correctly and in context then I don't see why they are not an indicator of a good university. :confused:
    Again this is true and i certainly take this factor into consideration when applying but i dont think it should be used to rank the quality of universities really, i would leave this down to teaching, research quality and the student/staff ratio.

ReputationRep:
    Again this is true and i certainly take this factor into consideration when applying but i dont think it should be used to rank the quality of universities really, i would leave this down to teaching, research quality and the student/staff ratio.
    I agree with Leekey. And how is student/staff ratio any more important for ranking universities than entry scores? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks for the info. ill just go by what i like the look of then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I agree with Leekey. And how is student/staff ratio any more important for ranking universities than entry scores? :confused:
    What would you rather have - a small tutorial group of 10-12 or a massive lecture group of 200-300? thats whats important about the student/staff ratio and having suffered the huge lectures made up of hundreds of students i can tell you it really does make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumanGael)
    What would you rather have - a small tutorial group of 10-12 or a massive lecture group of 200-300? thats whats important about the student/staff ratio and having suffered the huge lectures made up of hundreds of students i can tell you it really does make a difference.
    I never said that student/staff ratio didn't matter, just that entry scores were equally important. I'm sure you'd learn more in a lecture of 200-300 high ability students than you would in a tutorial of 10-12 low ability students where you'd be forced to go at a much slower pace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I never said that student/staff ratio didn't matter, just that entry scores were equally important. I'm sure you'd learn more in a lecture of 200-300 high ability students than you would in a tutorial of 10-12 low ability student where you'd be forced to go at a much slower pace.
    The quality of peer isnt so important in lectures as it isnt really an interactive thing, well it certainly wasnt in any of the subjects i took. Having 200-300 classes of very high ability would be nice i dont disagree, however unless theyre all in posession of Phd/Masters level knowledge youre not really going to learn anything from them - thats what the staff are for and thats why the ratio is more important than the A-Level entry scores (though in general i agree that both should be considered properly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumanGael)
    The quality of peer isnt so important in lectures as it isnt really an interactive thing, well it certainly wasnt in any of the subjects i took. Having 200-300 classes of very high ability would be nice i dont disagree, however unless theyre all in posession of Phd/Masters level knowledge youre not really going to learn anything from them - thats what the staff are for and thats why the ratio is more important than the A-Level entry scores (though in general i agree that both should be considered properly).
    Although I agree that in 200-300 classes it would be difficult to learn much directly from the students around you, ability level would be important in a small tutorial situation. Therefore, I still think that the two factors are equally important and that, as you have said, both should be considered.

ReputationRep:
    i always go by the times ones, makes more sense and easy to read.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.