Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

House mate keeps filling up the dish washer when we simply do not have enough dishes Watch

ReputationRep:
    Quite a straight forward 1st world problem here. Im not a student anymore but hopefully im still allowed to post.

I live in a flat with 2 other people. We have 3 forks, 3 spoons, 3 knives, 3 bowls, 3 plates, 2 pots, 2 pans etc etc. So not a ton of utensils basically. Me and one house mate are perfectly fine with cleaning up after ourselves straight after eating. However, the third house mate insists on putting all her stuff in the dish washer. This therefore builds up very slowly, 1 plate, 1 spoon at a time. Very slow loading time. She makes a tea for example, instead of just rinsing the little spoon, she puts it in the dish washer. Makes a jam sandwich, takes 2 seconds to clean a knife, puts it in the dishwasher. Anything which literally needs a rinse, she just puts it in the dishwasher. Im pretty sure I picked out a clean spoon from the dishwasher this morning (and no it hadn't finished as the other stuff was dirty). It will take her days to fill it up. And it ends up that after a day or 2 we have no plates or bowls or forks as she has managed to put them all in the dishwasher. We have to open up the 1/4 full dishwasher which is a bit smelly and fish out what we need and clean it before we use it. This as you imagine is VERY annoying, and just means her mission to fill the dishwasher will take even longer.

I told her we do not have enough dishes etc to fill the dishwasher up, and that she should hand wash because the plates etc just stay in there for days and start smelling and the food sticks. She flat out refuses to listen quite rudely and insists on using the dish washer regardless. She is very stubborn. Everytime you advise/ tell her not to do something, its like she does it even more in some sort of rebellion.

I think its inappropriate to tell the agency over something so trivial, and the fact that i used to work with her I don't want to do that. But she just WONT listen.

How do i deal with an unreasonable housemate like this?

Best,
    Lib.

ReputationRep:
    sell the dishwasher

ReputationRep:
    hide your stuff in your room so she realises she has to wash her stuff if she wants to eat lmao

ReputationRep:
    you simply don't have enough cutlery and crockery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertatia)

I live in a flat with 2 other people. We have 3 forks, 3 spoons, 3 knives, 3 bowls, 3 plates, 2 pots, 2 pans etc etc.

I don't often laugh out loud when reading stuff on here but this is one of those moments.

I mean wtf?

I live all by myself and have MUCH more cutlery than that.

I'd struggle to get by on what you are on, and I live on my own.

Are you telling me, that as non students you can't spend a little bit of money to buy some cutlery?

rinsing stuff and putting it back as clean?
    That's a bit unhygienic imo if other people are using each others stuff

spend a little bit of money and buy some more cutlery.
    you can even go poundland if you're that tight.

ReputationRep:
    Asda sell plates for £1 each (and their cutlery is really cheap). Buy yourself some and keep them in your own cupboard.

ReputationRep:
    Paper plates and plastic knives, forks and spoons are the answer here.

Buy non-dish-washable plates :P

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you need to get a life.

ReputationRep:
    When you're finished clean and keep your stuff in your room then she'll have no choice but to either buy more or clean what she used
    • Very Important Poster

There are more important things in life.

Let her do it as long as she pays the extra if you are squabbling over cost. Work out the cost of one cycle.
    As the others have said wash after yourself and then remove the crockery etc to your own room.
    Even as a student I had more than that. What happens if you have guests or you want to do some cooking? Its all a bit anal retentive.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fairly insignificant problem but the issue lies in your flatmates inability to wash up. I'd assume that if you didn't have a dishwasher she'd be leaving plates on the side for days until there was a large pile to wash up.

Yeah, ideally just buy more stuff. That doesn't actually solve the issue though, it just means you live a few more days before running out. Personally I'd either take my stuff, keep it clean and move it somewhere where she can't use it. If you have a set of stuff each then simply take your stuff away. You still get to eat and she will have to wash up or use the dishwasher. The issue lies in your flatmates lack of cleaning and really has nothing to do with the dishwasher. All you can do is force here into a situation where she has to change. If she doesn't then get used to keeping a set of clean dishes, utensils in your room. Forget sharing if she doesn't do her part.

ReputationRep:
    Unplug the dishwasher and put your clean plates and the like in your room. Tell messy roommate to buy more dishes and stuff for the house if she wont wash by hand. Lay down house rules then kick her out. Just kidding, LOL

ReputationRep:
    Take the fuse out of the plug/spur or, better still, replace it with a blown fuse. Then just leave it. When she starts going on about having to report it to the agency, you can then say 'oh well neither of us use it, so it's no big deal'. And if she digs her heels in and insists on having it repaired, you can say to the agency that it's only she who uses it and you're not fussed whether it's mended or not.

Job done.

ReputationRep:
    Buy one more plate, bowl, spoon, fork etc (or more if you really want to go crazy...) and call them yours. Then you can rinse your own stuff and she can't use it. Or club together as a flat and spent £20 each on some stuff for the kitchen so there's enough to use all day and put the dishwasher on in the evening.

ReputationRep:
    Call the police. This is outrageous.

We disn't use the dishwasher for a whole year to save ££. Later read research showing that it was cheaper to wash than handwashing

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.