Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Its been a while since my last post. Usually I read older threats for advice on my upcoming milestone, but there was nothing that specifically covered this question.
    I thank you all in advance for reading this and helping me choose

I am 26 yo, German (still living in DE), and I recently got accepted into the MSc Psych Conversion degrees at Aberdeen and Stirling for September 2017.
    After running multiple scenarios, reading through blogs, and comparing official ratings, I still do not have any idea which one to choose.

Here are a few arguments that I gathered for each of the two:

Stirling:
    + Right between Glasgow and Edinburgh --> easy access to the cities for night life, culture etc.
    + "Gateway" to the Highlands --> beautiful nature
    + Greater offer of postgraduate degrees

Aberdeen:
    + Right in the highlands --> I love to ride my enduro motorcycle through hills and forests
    + near the ocean (personal preference)
    - rather weak selection of postgrad Psych programs

Is anyone here, who is (planning on) attending either university? Or living there?
    I am looking for any sort of input, starting from academic excellence, the curriculum, activities, night life, weather, etc.

Also, do you think it would be an advantage if I studied at the university where I intend to do my follow up masters degree? I am all but certain that I will go to Stirling once the conversion course is complete, so should this be the decisive factor?

Thank you all for helping me with this decision!

Cheers,
    Chimp

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I have lived near both of these places! Aberdeen was as a child though so a lot will have changed since then but I'll help where possible. I live near Stirling now, I don't attend the uni there though I use it frequently. I studying with the open uni and I use the library at Stirling uni plus it's a wonderful campus.

Stirling is the quieter area of the two, the city is a lot smaller. Great access though to the countryside, and just an hour away from Edinburgh and Glasgow which is brilliant. The uni is really lovely, campus is the most stunning campus I have seen in my opinion. Huge selection of clubs you can join (seriously I've never seen so many in one uni) and my favourite thing there is the MacRobert center - theatre - which has huge range of productions from plays to ballets to experimental music, both professionally and by local schools and stirling uni's own drama department (who are excellent) and there's a cinema there.

Aberdeen is one of my favourite city's, as a child I lived for a few years on my grandparents farm about 40 mins away so I didn't see much of it. But I've been back several times to the city and I love it but be warned it is never warm! Even in the summer with the sun shining. My brick uni was in London, and personally I feel that a bigger city is better because of the access to the museums and the number of things happening in general. Stirling is poor at big city events whereas you will have more of that in Aberdeen. I have friends who studied at Aberdeen and say it was incredble, I've only ever heard great things.

Another thing in favour of Aberdeen is books, which sounds strange but hear me out. Stirling (very poorly) only has one bookshop in the city and one small one in the uni. Aberdeen has some wonderful bookshops in the city and also I personally feel the uni library at Aberdeen is better.

Both these city's have pros and cons, so it's really a personal preference.But if you have your heart set on doing your masters at Stirling I would recommend picking Aberdeen so you get to experience both city's. It doesn't give you an advantage to do your undergrade and masters in the same uni. Hope this helped a little, feel free to ask any more questions you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rempanda)
    Hi there, I have lived near both of these places! Aberdeen was as a child though so a lot will have changed since then but I'll help where possible. I live near Stirling now, I don't attend the uni there though I use it frequently. I studying with the open uni and I use the library at Stirling uni plus it's a wonderful campus.

Stirling is the quieter area of the two, the city is a lot smaller. Great access though to the countryside, and just an hour away from Edinburgh and Glasgow which is brilliant. The uni is really lovely, campus is the most stunning campus I have seen in my opinion. Huge selection of clubs you can join (seriously I've never seen so many in one uni) and my favourite thing there is the MacRobert center - theatre - which has huge range of productions from plays to ballets to experimental music, both professionally and by local schools and stirling uni's own drama department (who are excellent) and there's a cinema there.

Aberdeen is one of my favourite city's, as a child I lived for a few years on my grandparents farm about 40 mins away so I didn't see much of it. But I've been back several times to the city and I love it but be warned it is never warm! Even in the summer with the sun shining. My brick uni was in London, and personally I feel that a bigger city is better because of the access to the museums and the number of things happening in general. Stirling is poor at big city events whereas you will have more of that in Aberdeen. I have friends who studied at Aberdeen and say it was incredble, I've only ever heard great things.

Another thing in favour of Aberdeen is books, which sounds strange but hear me out. Stirling (very poorly) only has one bookshop in the city and one small one in the uni. Aberdeen has some wonderful bookshops in the city and also I personally feel the uni library at Aberdeen is better.

Both these city's have pros and cons, so it's really a personal preference.But if you have your heart set on doing your masters at Stirling I would recommend picking Aberdeen so you get to experience both city's. It doesn't give you an advantage to do your undergrade and masters in the same uni. Hope this helped a little, feel free to ask any more questions you have.
    Hi rempanda,

Thank you for your superbly helpful reply!
    Somewhere in my head, I thought that my chances of getting into one of the coveted master programs at Stirling would somehow increase if I did the conversion course there as well (assuming great participation and grades on my end of course).
    But after reading your post, I realized that this might not be as important now as when applying for a research position for instance.

Also, thank you for your feedback on the cities themselves! In addition to the points you have made, I am actually quite keen on living near the ocean, so Aberdeen seems like a good fit. And as you said - if I do plan on doing a subsequent master at Stirling, it would makes sense to choose a different city for the conversion course.

Just out of curiosity: Do you -or anyone else here for that matter- know if enduro motorcycling is allowed in the highlands, i.e. riding the motorcycle on forest roads? While spare time might be at a premium during this course, I do fancy the idea of taking the bike out for a spin in the highlands after a long week of studying.

Thank you for your continued help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.