Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

My medical school doesn't provide much practice material and as I want to start preparing for exams, I was wondering if anyone had good sources of questions - books, websites etc.

On my course in particular, year 2 is about anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology of diseases, and perhaps thinking about differential diagnosis. We are not expected to diagnose or think about treatments, however we must have a basic knowledge of drug names and classes.

Is it worth subscribing to a question bank online? Such as BMJ OnExamination, passmedicine or pastest? If so, which one is the best for my ability?

Thanks in advance
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    Hi there,

My medical school doesn't provide much practice material and as I want to start preparing for exams, I was wondering if anyone had good sources of questions - books, websites etc.

On my course in particular, year 2 is about anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology of diseases, and perhaps thinking about differential diagnosis. We are not expected to diagnose or think about treatments, however we must have a basic knowledge of drug names and classes.

Is it worth subscribing to a question bank online? Such as BMJ OnExamination, passmedicine or pastest? If so, which one is the best for my ability?

Thanks in advance
    Passmedicine years 1-3 is free atm. I'm in clinical years not but wished I had these questions last year. Good for revising anatomy etc. Might not match up exactly with what you're expected to know but its great for practicing applying the info a little.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi there,

Thanks in advance
    http://www.passmedicine.com/preclinical/index.php

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, thank you so much - this looks amazing!

Do you have any advice about revision in general, for both osce and papers? How tough did you find studying?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh wow, thank you so much - this looks amazing!

Do you have any advice about revision in general, for both osce and papers? How tough did you find studying?
    I am probably the worst person to ask. I'm a grad so we covered things much quicker. Plus I am a crammer, especially during phase 1. I think doing little and often helps. Doing questions is definitely the best way that I learn. So things like passmedicine are great. The question banks also have very helpful little sections underneath the answer, that act as little rrevision cards (passmedicine actually lets you access this as kind of a textbook on their website).

*I promise I am not a salesperson, I just personally find them very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    I am probably the worst person to ask. I'm a grad so we covered things much quicker. Plus I am a crammer, especially during phase 1. I think doing little and often helps. Doing questions is definitely the best way that I learn. So things like passmedicine are great. The question banks also have very helpful little sections underneath the answer, that act as little rrevision cards (passmedicine actually lets you access this as kind of a textbook on their website).

*I promise I am not a salesperson, I just personally find them very helpful
    haha, says you, who has been quoting passmedicine everywhere. :P

Another tip is that go to revision sessions that your uni/society organises. The seniors will have a good idea on what will be tested on and they might even have set up practice questions.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jckc123)
    haha, says you, who has been quoting passmedicine everywhere. :P

Another tip is that go to revision sessions that your uni/society organises. The seniors will have a good idea on what will be tested on and they might even have set up practice questions.
    Just like to share the secrets No gunner here :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise using the resources your med school provides/recommends. Question banks are non-specific, possibly covering things you don't need/not covering things you do. They also encourage short term recall, not the long term understanding that will actually be useful to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.