Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey guys

Just wanted some advice please, sorry if this post gets a bit too long !

So since I was around the age of 12, I started having OCD, so I'd be always washing my hands. My family (well mainly my mum) would tell me I'd need to stop, which I found I couldn't, and was never taken to the doctor to get help, so I genuinely thought I could stop it on my own.

So fast forward to now, still have OCD, still never went to the doctor, which I know I really need to, but feel embarrassed about going. My family have never really said anything these days about my constant hand washing. But now my OCD has pretty much affected me in other ways, and I've been doing other things as well as the constant hand washing. My own mental health seems to be getting affected, and I just feel really down about it and I really want to talk to someone about it, but don't know how to approach/word how I feel and the fact that's I'm genuinely fed up of this, and I'm even currently sat in my room away from everyone else in tears because I've had enough !

So what I'm really looking for is some advice really! Has anyone else been in a similar situation? And if so have you managed to get help? I'm open to all advice from those who haven't or had OCD

Thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean you've got OCD, it might just mean you have an irrational fear of germs, germaphobia or something like that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to be embarrassed about going to the doctor. GPs spend a good amount of time everyday seeing people with mental health issues, he won't judge you for it. I think the fact that things have gone on this long points to that this isn't going to sort itself out. Could you write a bullet point list of what you want to say/all your different symptoms and then take that with you if you're worried you might forget something or get nervous and clam up. There really is nothing to be scared of but this is clearly having an impact on your life so it's worth sorting out.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about OCD or its treatments, then we have a few members diagnosed with that in the [MHSS. Maybe try posting there for advice and support (even anonymously) if you feel unable to go to the doc just yet.

(Original post by That'sGreat)
    Doesn't mean you've got OCD, it might just mean you have an irrational fear of germs, germaphobia or something like that.
    Just realised I didn't add this to my OP, but if I don't do something, like hand washing, then I think the worst'll happen, like something bad'll happen to myself or to someone I know..

ReputationRep:
    Book an app your GP. Ask reception for a GP who has an interest in mental health. If you find it difficult to speak, make a list of bullet point of your symptoms. Ask to be referred to counselling/ therapy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just realised I didn't add this to my OP, but if I don't do something, like hand washing, then I think the worst'll happen, like something bad'll happen to myself or to someone I know..
    Did anyone die or become sick when you were 12, or around that time? If yes, how close were you?

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    There's nothing to be embarrassed about going to the doctor. GPs spend a good amount of time everyday seeing people with mental health issues, he won't judge you for it. I think the fact that things have gone on this long points to that this isn't going to sort itself out. Could you write a bullet point list of what you want to say/all your different symptoms and then take that with you if you're worried you might forget something or get nervous and clam up. There really is nothing to be scared of but this is clearly having an impact on your life so it's worth sorting out.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about OCD or its treatments, then we have a few members diagnosed with that in the [MHSS. Maybe try posting there for advice and support (even anonymously) if you feel unable to go to the doc just yet.
    Yeah exactly ! Yeah suppose I could do that, write down what I want to say before I say it.

Ah ok cool, I'll have a look there in the meantime until I can get an appointment at the GP. Thanks

(Original post by habeas.corpus)
    Book an app your GP. Ask reception for a GP who has an interest in mental health. If you find it difficult to speak, make a list of bullet point of your symptoms. Ask to be referred to counselling/ therapy.
    Thanks

Did anyone die or become sick when you were 12, or around that time? If yes, how close were you?
    Hm, not that I could think of. But my nan was diagnosed with dementia before I was 12 so that could be a possibility..

ReputationRep:
    Hm, not that I could think of. But my nan was diagnosed with dementia before I was 12 so that could be a possibility..
    It's not uncommon for people to do something with the hopes of it somehow curing or saving the other person, despite how illogical or irrelevant it may be. For example, you washing your hands could have been you frantically thinking it will help her, maybe you did it for a day and she seemed a lot better the next day and you thought it might work, despite it being literally impossible. Then, as you got older, you got used to it. Then again, it may just be because you're used to it, I used to click my neck in a certain way, and if i didn't do it right, I'd have to redo it, then I'd have to even it out by doing it to the other side of my neck, kind of hard to explain. So yeah, it could either be just random and now you're used to it, or what I said before.

Hey guys

Just wanted some advice please, sorry if this post gets a bit too long !

So since I was around the age of 12, I started having OCD, so I'd be always washing my hands. My family (well mainly my mum) would tell me I'd need to stop, which I found I couldn't, and was never taken to the doctor to get help, so I genuinely thought I could stop it on my own.

So fast forward to now, still have OCD, still never went to the doctor, which I know I really need to, but feel embarrassed about going. My family have never really said anything these days about my constant hand washing. But now my OCD has pretty much affected me in other ways, and I've been doing other things as well as the constant hand washing. My own mental health seems to be getting affected, and I just feel really down about it and I really want to talk to someone about it, but don't know how to approach/word how I feel and the fact that's I'm genuinely fed up of this, and I'm even currently sat in my room away from everyone else in tears because I've had enough !

So what I'm really looking for is some advice really! Has anyone else been in a similar situation? And if so have you managed to get help? I'm open to all advice from those who haven't or had OCD

Thanks for reading
    Hey, I have OCD. I would reccomend going to your GP and saying that you think you might have OCD and asking what the available treatment options are. Typically,
    medication might be offered or you might be referred/told to self-refer to cognitive behavioural therapy where you basically work on your thoughts/obessions/compulsions with a view to gradually reducing them by exposing yourself to the anxiety that comes with not doing them over a sustained period of time.

I'm currently having CBT and finding it pretty helpful, although I was on a waiting list for a couple of months, but it depends on the services available to you.For a while, I thought I could stop OCD on my own, but then it just kept on getting worse, and more obsessions/rituals crept in. That might not be the case for everybody, but I would say the more you respond to the thoughts/compulsions, the more OCD takes advantage! I would definitely reccomend seeking professional help if you can Hope that helps!

It's not uncommon for people to do something with the hopes of it somehow curing or saving the other person, despite how illogical or irrelevant it may be. For example, you washing your hands could have been you frantically thinking it will help her, maybe you did it for a day and she seemed a lot better the next day and you thought it might work, despite it being literally impossible. Then, as you got older, you got used to it. Then again, it may just be because you're used to it, I used to click my neck in a certain way, and if i didn't do it right, I'd have to redo it, then I'd have to even it out by doing it to the other side of my neck, kind of hard to explain. So yeah, it could either be just random and now you're used to it, or what I said before.
    Yeah like I've literally got so used to it, but it's just really frustrating :/

Hey, I have OCD. I would reccomend going to your GP and saying that you think you might have OCD and asking what the available treatment options are. Typically,
    medication might be offered or you might be referred/told to self-refer to cognitive behavioural therapy where you basically work on your thoughts/obessions/compulsions with a view to gradually reducing them by exposing yourself to the anxiety that comes with not doing them over a sustained period of time.

I'm currently having CBT and finding it pretty helpful, although I was on a waiting list for a couple of months, but it depends on the services available to you.For a while, I thought I could stop OCD on my own, but then it just kept on getting worse, and more obsessions/rituals crept in. That might not be the case for everybody, but I would say the more you respond to the thoughts/compulsions, the more OCD takes advantage! I would definitely reccomend seeking professional help if you can Hope that helps!
    Hey ah ok, sounds like CBT is a good treatment. But yeah like you say it depends what services are available to me !

Thanks and I hope CBT continues to help you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.