Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tell us your half term plans and get famous watch

ReputationRep:
    Making sure all my notes are in order, and starting to prepare revision materials for the future - I know exam season me will be grateful for it!

ReputationRep:
    I have a different opinions compared to all others.
    I actually stopped updating my GYG because it made me to procrastinate more... Instead I'm writing my plans in a diary.

Anyway since I'm from different country.. Let me tell you my plans

- Get my economics notes ready before May 15
    - Excel in all accounting topics
    - Become good in Maths again
    - Finish a big part of my General Paper Research before May 15
    - Finish French notes before April

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to just hit down on the revision, but also have a good time
    By the half term all big events until exams for me (I.e. interviews, driving test) will be over, so I can focus fully on getting the grades I want and need

I'll finish writing flashcards so I'm up to date, and focus on getting them in my head, as that's what works for me.

ReputationRep:
    Working from home and self-studying gives the mid-term a completely different perspective.

are you starting revision?
    Revision started a month ago and will continue. Since this is the fourth year running that I'm part of "exam season" I cannot overstate the importance of being prepared and starting early. I never did it in school and I suppose it's because I never got into the habit. But honestly, giving even half of your mid-term holidays to the boring task of studying is 100 times better than the panic of going into an exam hall knowing that there's huge chunks of the course you know nothing about. And it will happen if you don't start early. Eventually your luck may run out and the questions you haven't prepared for will come up.
    So basically I'm taking this bit of wisdom and actually applying it for once.

- making a plan?
    When you self-teach you are the planner. Plans can be a gift and a curse. They tie you down and keep you on task. At the same time allow plans to change once you actually start revising because your plan can't anticipate what it will be like.

- taking a complete break?
    I wish I could take a complete break. I think by the time my mock will be done I'll have earned it. But I get guilty when I take breaks so I can't imagine enjoying a whole week or two off this close to exams. So no breaks for me, but maybe I'll tone down the work and go out a little more.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Not that I have a half term but ensuring all my notes are organised, and finding which notes I haven't done from lectures and getting them done. Then going through the course text doing as many questions as possible for each of them, making a list of questions which I can then email to my lecturers/seminar leaders, or go to their office hours.

Assignments are also looming, so ensuring that I'm in a good place for those getting some research done for the essays, and just making sure I've got a rough idea of what I want to cover jotted down as a base to start from...!

ReputationRep:
    My half term plan is probably going to go something like this:

Maths:

Try to finish all past papers for C3/4 and do Solomons and IYGB
    Try to get as much as S2 done as possible (teacher is not the greatest)

Further maths:

Consolidate FP2 and M2.
    Start D2 and (hopefully), finish it (doubt I can get this done lol)
    Do a lot of D1 and M1 papers (retaking for UMS haha)

Physics:

Try to finish all the content (again, teacher is useless af)
    Attempt a few past papers

Economics:

Believe it or not, content is finished
    Past papers basically

Obv gonna try to relax as much as possible despite having mocks the first week back.
    Need to make more of an effort with some friends haha

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could say I was planning my revision and having an organisation marathon, but I'll be in Mallorca, studying Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Not that I have a half term
    I don't either. I envy those who do.

I'm working daily right now as, well, I can't afford not to. I'm very weak in my subject area (science) as I kind of got into the course without meeting the minimum requirements... by a long shot. I would love a week of no classes to just commit to studying right now.

How I am revising right now:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I feel like where a person is in the study process already is going to have a big impact on how they should spend the half-term. I'm in different stages for my different classes. e.g. right now I'm most actively working towards an exam I'm sitting on February 21st and another I've scheduled for May 23rd.

For the exam set for May 23rd I've literally only started learning the content so I'm very early in the process. If I had a half-term I would make use of that large block of time for working to ensure I have all the materials I need: condensing notes into shorthand bullet points; teaching myself any content I missed in class (via internet resources and textbooks); practicing basic questions; and looking over past papers. Note I said "looking" here; it's important that you should be able to look at a past paper and even if you don't know the answer off the top of your head just yet you should at least be able to understand what it is being asked of you and where in your notes you might be able to find that information. If you don't know then your notes need more work. I'm self-teaching a class right now, and as I finish each chapter I'm looking at the 2015 and 2016 past papers for each topic, finding questions that match up with the chapter's content, and making sure that my notes are detailed and specific enough that I would be able to answer it and get full marks. If the answer is no then those notes need more work.

Also, if you don't already, buy or borrow textbooks related to your exam board and course. For the class I'm self-teaching I've several textbooks. They have questions at the end of each chapter (aka. for each topic) and some even provide a nice bullet-point summary for you too.

For my February 21st exam I'm at a much later stage in the process - and for people who have been studying for a month or more already this might be of more use. I feel there is a point where more active methods of revision are more beneficial and in my own experience are more efficient than simply re-writing/re-reading notes. This involves actually engaging with the material. My preferred method is the read-cover-repeat method and is the method I swear by when I need to learn a lot of information very quickly as it reinforces recall knowledge. I go through my notes section by section and try to commit it to memory by: reading, covering, and then trying to recall what I read. This is a more active way of trying to memorise information than simply reading it. I don't move onto the section until I can repeat it five times over without hesitation. Then I move onto the next section, then the next, and at the end cycle back to the first and repeat the process of trying to force recall knowledge. I won't stop until just looking at the heading of the section is enough to force that recall without looking at any further notes on it. It's what seems to work best for me.

I like to use flash cards, diagrams, and create posters for a more visual effect when I find the amount of text on the page is just too over-whelming for me. I've been working on a notice board lately putting together notes for my February 21st exam (example of Outcome 1 side below) as I felt really quite lost in page upon page of handwritten notes on a single topic. It took me three hours to put together what I have so far, but it had me working through the material at a pace that worked well for me. While the read-cover-recall method above is a lot more rapid, this technique of working through the information methodically helped it feel a lot less intimidating.

For classes that require applying technique, rather than simply memorising information, I feel the best way to revise is really just to keep on practicing the questions e.g. maths and chemistry. Work out the formula for solving each type of question you're given, memorise it, then keep applying those formulas in practice papers. Repetition is really the most effective way to drill in calculations.

Rather than setting a revision timetable in advance, which I honestly know I won't stick to, I feel it is more effective to make a table showcasing your revision after the fact. This means at the end of the day create a breakdown of how you spent the time and reflect on that day's productivity. I find that if I review my day and discover that I 'wasted' a lot of time on insignificant things then that motivates me to use the following day more wisely. I feel this works better for me because if I set a goal in advance and failed to me my target hours that day (or over several sequential days) I know it would just interpret it as a failure and it would get me down rather than motivate me to try harder. I understand timetables work for some people, but for me it's more of a deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on spending approximately 5 hours a day, completing work and revision.

However, I also have to go to a couple of post application days, so this may restrict how much I am able to conduct those days. And I have a part time job so will be working a couple of shifts.

I have several books which my English exams are on, so re-reading these is definitely an intention. Additionally, I have business coursework and really want to get ahead because its worth 66%, and I am currently on full marks.

I will also have internal assessments the first or second week back at sixth form, so need to revise for these.

Have a nice half term everyone.

I don't have a half term since I'm homeschooled but these are my plans for the rest of this week and next week before going into past paper mode:

Further Maths
    • Finish learning all the chapters in the syllabus (the further maths syllabus for my exam board is quite broad)
    • Do a run through of the entire syllabus and answer as many practise questions as possible including ones set by my tutor. Also spending more time on the topic I didn't really grasp all too well.
    • Finish condensing all of my notes
    • Make a handy formula sheet containing all the formulas I need to know

Maths

• Learn all the chapters left in the statistics module
    • Do a run through of all the topics in the syllabus and answer questions (similar to further maths)
    • Similar to further maths
    • Similar to further maths

Physics

• Learn the last four chapters of the syllabus
    • Do a run through of the entire syllabus
    • Finish making all of my condensed notes (currently made notes for topic 8 out of 17)
    • Spend some extra time on topics that I don't understand too well.

After all this I'll be ready to start with solving as many past papers as possible. In addition to that I'll be looking over my physics notes and maths + fmaths formula sheets to refresh my memory

Extra:
    1. It is best to start the revision stage early on, say three months to the exam, that way you have enough time to go over the syllabus enough times and also to do as many past papers as possible
    2. Though I may not be taking a complete break but taking breaks when you're studying is insanely helpful. Dividing the work into small chunks makes it easier to motivate yourself to do it and easier to manage.

ReputationRep:
    At half term I plan to have a mixture of relaxation and work. I'd like to have a couple of days out; my dad has the Monday and Tuesday off work and my mum is a teacher, so the whole family will be at home for the first four days, so no doubt we'll go out at least one of those days. I'd also like to spend a day with my best friend - who I don't see very often, as she works weekends and goes to a different college to me - we're planning a cinema trip!

As for college work, I plan to re-read Othello and Death of a Salesman and get through another 'phase' of Tess of the d'Urbervilles, as English Literature is a linear A Level now and so I will be re-examined on these texts this year. For Law, I'll make sure my notes are up-to-date and I will start to make flashcards of all the cases I need to know for what we have learnt for tort (LAW04) so far (I've already done all the criminal liability flashcards for LAW03). French work will consist of consolidating key vocabulary, listening to French radio (particularly the news) when I can and re-writing some of my oral prep/essay writing for mai 68 (one of our two cultural topics). I will also be re-watching La Haine (the film we're studying for our second cultural topic).

Of course, for all subjects I will be doing my usual filing and checking off what we have covered of the specification so far.

ReputationRep:
    Revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise nandos revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise revise

ReputationRep:
    Organising notes- basicallylike a self created revision guide.
    Only the vital information
    catching up on corsework
    Planning out revision period from feb-may

ReputationRep:
    I have to teach my younger brother, because my parents had this great idea to not send any of their kids to school.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)
    Hi Grow your Graders (and anyone else dropping in)

Really loving what you're all doing this year.

Keep updating your threads with the latest news of what you're up to - the good, the bad, the frustration and the procrastination, the triumphs and the tragedies, the big picture and the trivial detail - it's all part of the world of grade growing.

You may win a prize but - maybe more importantly - the act of actually thinking about the way you work will help develop the skills you need to succeed.

Basically you win every way.

Anyway, half term is approaching so we're updating this articleabout what students should be doing in the way of studying over the holiday.

We'd love to include some quotations from class of Grow your Grades 2017

So what are you up to?
    - are you starting revision?
    - making a plan?
    - organising your notes?
    - taking a complete break?

Let us know. We'll give an acknowledgement to everyone who gets quoted.

But get a move on as we have to have the article nailed in a couple of days.

Thanks and keep growing those grades!

Spoiler:
    Show

Hey! Finally found this!
    As half-term is next week I shall be making plans and so saving a space here
    Best of luck to you all who are already engrossed within it
    :grouphugs:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Half-Term Plans
    The stuff I have to do as homework/part of homework will be in the list and (in the brackets I shall put the extra stuff I aim to do)

To do:
    PHYSICS -
    - Planned Study C ( this involves a choice of either: researching ITER or comparing the 2 most popular methods of fusion (that is avec magnetic fields (ITER) ou lasers (NIF), I think I may do the former (researching ITER (not because it is in France ) but what do you guys think ? )
    It also involves making some thermal physics revision resources - I will make some revision leaflets I will do some questions too because I didn't like thermal physics (I got very confused )
    -I have to 7 pages of Past Paper Questions on Waves from last year
    -I have to do 9 pages of test revision questions on Mass defect, binding energy and fission/fusion (I will be making a Quizlet and possibly some more notes from the textbook before doing these)
    -(I would like to go over Electrical fields again - as a topic I despise them - so I shall tackle some questions etc.)

CHEMISTRY -
    -Finish the past paper question pack on rate of reaction ( DONE IT ALREADY WOOOOOOOOOO)
    -Make notes on Kc and equilibrium from last year in the revision book I have , I will be using www.chemguide.co.uk, if you haven't come across this and do chemistry, use it, it is life (I will make a few more notes in this book and possibly type them up onto Quizlet if I come across anything I would like to go over again)
    -Plot an Arrhenius plot on graph paper (DONE THIS ALREADY TOO AYYYYYYY )
    -(Revise Hess Cycles (that topic from last year basically))
    -(Revise all organic and synthetic stuff from last year)

MATHS -
    -C4 revision for retest
    -C4 revision for mock (I will do some past papers and textbook notes/questions )
    -(I want to do some C1 past papers and some C3 notes/past papers/revision because I am losing my knowledge of it )
    -(I want to do some D1 past paper questions for practice)

EPQ -
    -All I need to do is the summary lel - started it yesterday, seems ok
    -Will get someone to check the whole log for punctuation and grammar and general sense before I submit it in 2 weeks, I believe

Fun Stuff Planned - -Sleepover later today
    -Werewolves game (3 rounds planned - round 1 underway )
    -Pinta in moderation
    -London on Wednesday
    -Tennis with siblings (went yesterday and plan to go on Thursday )
    -Making pancakes and brownies

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.