Is virginity a big deal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 27FT)
    When I say late teens I technically mean 16+ any earlier is illegal anyway
    Sound

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iliriana)
    If yes/no, why?
    (refer to religious arguments when giving your opinion- JOKE)
    It is a matter of lust V morality and if you do not mind how many people you partner has slept with and visa versa

OTS

ReputationRep:
    vewy big del

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iliriana)
    I feel like if you have sex with your partner, it should be in your late teens
    Agreed. Once you're 20+, it's too late.

ReputationRep:
    To me it’s an important thing. Since being a virgin I would quite like my girlfriend when/if I get one to be one as well. Then there would be no pressure in rocking the boat. Also when we do, do it, we would not have past experience to compare and reflect on. So we can’t judge each other to others if you get what I mean. We would have ideas what it would be liked based on stuff, but what we think and what we feel are two different things.

But to some it makes no difference, a bit like religion. I just think I am quite old fashioned to some things.

I would still go out with someone who isn't a virgin. But I haven't been in that position in real terms yet to actually make a decision like that.

ReputationRep:
    As told before, it depends on the person.

I'd argue it is hugely underrated in today's world, especially when it comes to guys. It shows a willingness to wait and to sacrifice, which is a very good sign indeed.

A person who manages non religious and voluntary celibacy might mean a great personality with regards to long term relationships (more invested, willing to work through issues, less/no 'baggage'). Besides, I would think that this changes the intimacy of it hugely. Sharing such a special bond with someone must be a very unique thing, and I for one am very disappointed to see it dismissed most of the time.

However, basing it on marriage is rather anachronistic; it should be based on how likely the two people would be to spend the rest of their lives together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightsun159)
    There's a huge gap between virgin and player or virgin and "[email protected]" (note the language you used- it's better to be a guy who has a lot of partners than a girl)

I don't have an issue someone being a virgin, or having lots of partners. It's their attitude that counts.
    "Woe is me, I'm a sad virgin who doesn't have sex, no one loves me."/ "I could have any girl I want right now"
    vs
    "I haven't found someone worth having sex with or no one was interested in me"/ "I've had a lot of partners, but so what?"
    From what I've seen, most people don't seem to care how many times he or she has been around the block, they're happy with 20th hand goods.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    From what I've seen, most people don't seem to care how many times he or she has been around the block, they're happy with 20th hand goods.
    '20th hand goods'? Goods? You're objectifying a person here. Legal sexual activity isn't relevant to a person's value as a human being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Legal sexual activity isn't relevant to a person's value as a human being.
    I never said it was but some people may find it hard to trust someone who sleeps around a lot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was but some people may find it hard to trust someone who sleeps around a lot.
    You implied so. You left out an integral part of my post, presumably because you concede that you were objectifying people who have a lot of sexual activity. Don't you see that by referring to a person as 'goods' you detract from the fact that they're a human being?

I personally don't think it's a big deal at all. What I think does count is 'experience', which is perhaps linked to that, but having said that, you could have had upwards of ten partners and still be terrible. Basically I wouldn't care if someone was a virgin, but I wouldn't want them to not know what they're doing. A healthy, respectable amount of experience would be great.

As for the religious side of it, everyone has their thing but to me the idea of waiting until you're married is just so risky, since you don't know what you're in for. But if that's something you want to do then you do you. And no one else.

ReputationRep:
    You implied so. You left out an integral part of my post, presumably because you concede that you were objectifying people who have a lot of sexual activity. Don't you see that by referring to a person as 'goods' you detract from the fact that they're a human being?
    Have you not heard the phrase "used goods" when referring to someone who has slept with many people? I am not saying those people are not "people"... of course they are not objects, they are people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Have you not heard the phrase "used goods" when referring to someone who has slept with many people? I am not saying those people are not "people"... of course they are not objects, they are people.
    The phrase merely being in usage does not mean it is correct to use. There are many hateful terms around, it does not validate their usage.

No, but 'goods' commonly is used to refer to objects; the implication of applying this term to the sexually active is that you are agreeing that someone should be viewed and judged primarily on the sexual activity they partake in.

ReputationRep:
    The phrase merely being in usage does not mean it is correct to use. There are many hateful terms around, it does not validate their usage.

No, but 'goods' commonly is used to refer to objects; the implication of applying this term to the sexually active is that you are agreeing that someone should be viewed and judged primarily on the sexual activity they partake in.
    Forgive me for using such foul language but I didn't want to say sl*t or sl*g as they are very offensive. Is there a polite word to mean "someone who sleeps around"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver001)
    What's wrong if a person has sex every other Tuesday, with different partners? Or a man having sex just as often? It indicates nothing about their personality and if you judge a person / favor someone according to how much sex they have - the problem here is you and you alone.
    Same goes for people who see virgins as lowly.
    These people force others to have sex when they aren't mentally ready, which is just as bad as discriminating against people who have a lot of sex.

What it comes down to is whether or not you enjoy it - if you want to sleep with someone new every night, go for it!
    You want to wait until you find the one? Your call! Just note that it might be a MAJOR disappointment if that person doesn't end up being 'the one,' so just make sure you enjoy it and don't worry too much about it.

In my personal opinion though, I rather enjoy sex with a partner a trust in, and would rather be experienced when I sleep with someone I care about. Your call, though.
    Your actions reflect you and your personality.
    Promiscuous people tend to be more outgoing and confident, while those "not sexually active" tend to have less Wild personality.
    Furthermore, some people view sex as something utterly intimate and special. someone who treats their penis/vagina only for pleasure tend to lack that point of view.
    Seriously it's like with politics. You can be left wing SJW or right wing néonazi and either one is fine but you wouldn't want to date the person on the other side of the spectrums
    (Original post by Nerry)
    lets not kid ourselves here, if you liked someone would you prefer to know that they've been with no one/very few people or that they've randomly shagged different people every week? the answer is very obvious here, only a highly insecure woman or a cuck male would say they genuinely wouldn't care that they stood the chance of being yet another notch on their bedpost.
    There's certain kink about making a player your boyfriend. All other girls could get his penis but you got his heart, there is something appealing about it

ReputationRep:
    My opinion, lose virginity with a partner and then from then on if you break up become a shag king.

- Sincerely, an 18 year old virgin.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is a big deal because it means that you have achieved a new social status even though you can ******** about it (seen some dense responses to my posts, yes I'm being sarcastic).

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dealornodeal.co.uk/wp-con...ge-633x355.jpg

ya

ReputationRep:
    i prefer virgins tbh i wouldnt wanna be with a guy who'd slept with loads of girls

ReputationRep:
    Normally I wouldn't care if a guy was a virgin. But then again, virgin guys tend to suck in bed, sooo...

Nirvana1989-1994 some ppl on this thread lmao

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.