Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is virginity a big deal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    Normally I wouldn't care if a guy was a virgin. But then again, virgin guys tend to suck in bed, sooo...

Nirvana1989-1994 some ppl on this thread lmao
    real talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylababesxx)
    i prefer virgins tbh i wouldnt wanna be with a guy who'd slept with loads of girls
    You're in luck, TSR is full of them

ReputationRep:
    It's a form of issue you will come across at various points in your life, which is about comparing yourself with your peers and wondering if you are "falling behind", and feeling jealous or wondering if there is something wrong with you.

Later on it will happen about getting a "proper career" (eg a graduate job with prospects), or settling down in a relationship/getting married, or getting a house and mortgage, or having kids.

Often when people reach these kind of life milestones they will want to brag about it to others. Whilst the bragging might be of a different form (facebook statuses, pictures all over social media etc) it is definitely there and it does make others feel bad and doubt themselves.

But also when you reach each of these milestones (including virginity) you realise that they aren't as amazing and life-changing as you might have thought. I'm not saying you shouldn't want these kind of things but with anything like this if you find yourself obsessing over it and spending a lot of your time feeling bad about it, you should focus your mind and life on something else as it will lead to a kind of disappointed emptiness when you actually achieve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    The phrase merely being in usage does not mean it is correct to use. There are many hateful terms around, it does not validate their usage.

No, but 'goods' commonly is used to refer to objects; the implication of applying this term to the sexually active is that you are agreeing that someone should be viewed and judged primarily on the sexual activity they partake in.
    You really are being a bit obsessive with regards to the wording of it... it was clear what was meant and you overplayed the issue to hell and back. If anything, you are contributing to hatefulness by making people feel it's appropriate to read into things far too much and obsessively latch onto anything that may be misconstrued as 'deeply offensive.'
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caius Filimon)
    You really are being a bit obsessive with regards to the wording of it... it was clear what was meant and you overplayed the issue to hell and back. If anything, you are contributing to hatefulness by making people feel it's appropriate to read into things far too much and obsessively latch onto anything that may be misconstrued as 'deeply offensive.'
    No I'm really not. It is an issue to ascribe certain labels to people just because they have a lot of sex. It implies there is something inherently wrong with promiscuity - and contributes to stigma - but there isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylababesxx)
    i prefer virgins tbh i wouldnt wanna be with a guy who'd slept with loads of girls
    PM coming your way babes xx.

ReputationRep:
    Normally I wouldn't care if a guy was a virgin. But then again, virgin guys tend to suck in bed, sooo...

pun intended?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    pun intended?
    No

ReputationRep:
    No
    Shame...

actually maybe not...

ReputationRep:
    I felt virginity was a big deal... until I lost mine.

I don't know what I expected, but I don't feel 'wiser' or 'older' or any closer to my partner having done the deed, to the point where I still joke that I haven't actually lost it.

For some I understand it is important, but for me...eh. I could've gone a lot longer not knowing what sex was like, let's put it that way. The angels above did not come down to grace me upon popping my cherry, more's the pity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    Forgive me for using such foul language but I didn't want to say sl*t or sl*g as they are very offensive. Is there a polite word to mean "someone who sleeps around"?
    Promiscuous

ReputationRep:
    I personally wont be having sex till I'm with someone I'm happy with to have my children, sounds dumb but I think it'd form a strong relationship and from what life has taught me, divorces don't give you 2 christmas' or 2 birthdays. In fact I was left with no birthday when both my parents thought the other was planning it… sucks. Anyway I think if the only sex you know is with them, you won't desire anything else/feel unsatisfied
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I know, it's quite strange. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iliriana)
    If yes/no, why?
    (refer to religious arguments when giving your opinion- JOKE)
    No its not a big deal for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Pun or not you can teach a new dog new tricks but it is much harder to teach an old dog new tricks, it goes for both sexes. If you want a long term sexual relationship you both need a similar sexual datum point then both partners get what satisfies them, that is until it is diaper changing time, if you are 20 years old you will then lose your freedom for the next 16 years plus unless your parents look after the child or you can afford a nanny and in that case you will not have to worry about scraping the fee together to send them to uni or the worry them having the debt associated with the grant for years to come.

OTS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by on the square)
    Pun or not you can teach a new dog new tricks but it is much harder to teach an old dog new tricks, it goes for both sexes. If you want a long term sexual relationship you both need a similar sexual datum point then both partners get what satisfies them, that is until it is diaper changing time, if you are 20 years old you will then lose your freedom for the next 16 years plus unless your parents look after the child or you can afford a nanny and in that case you will not have to worry about scraping the fee together to send them to uni or the worry them having the debt associated with the grant for years to come.

OTS
    The main fault in your argument is the fact that humans are NOT dogs. You aren't teaching anyone any tricks.
    Are you telling that a virgin and a 'player' cannot form a family? Why? Just because someone slept with many people before committing to a relationship doesn't mean they will keep sleeping with other people.

Here me out, people; as long as someone doesn't cheat in a relationship (a thing I know virgins also tend to do), it shouldn't bother you if they slept with several other people before you!

In fact, obsession with virginity and glorifying being the one 'popping someone's cherry' is leading to premature intercourse in relationships when one or both partners are not ready, leading to underwhelming and unsatisfactory sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withengar)
    Virginity is a social construct designed to shame people, especially women, for their sexuality. So no, it's not a big deal and it should be totally disregarded in polite conversation.
    Are you joking? It empowers women (wrongfully) not shames them. If anything it shames men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by on the square)

OTS
    That's ********. You've given me a headache dude...
    Y'all seem unaware of the fact that a person who's had sex or who has sex regularly isn't the same thing as a player. Just because someone isn't a virgin, it doesn't mean they can't be a player though

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't go as far as saying it's not an issue at all (can be a useful indicator of many things), but it's certainly a very insignificant issue in the vast majority of cases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Are you joking? It empowers women (wrongfully) not shames them. If anything it shames men.
    sure, virginity might be "empowering" to a woman who is staying celibate because she chooses to do so.
    but more often than not, it's a form of control (think of chastity balls where the girls pledge their virginity to their fathers. This is a religious event experienced in the US.)
    Virginity is also used the shame women (for not having it) and men (for having it). When there is nothing special about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.