Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is virginity a big deal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightsun159)
    sure, virginity might be "empowering" to a woman who is staying celibate because she chooses to do so.
    but more often than not, it's a form of control (think of chastity balls where the girls pledge their virginity to their fathers. This is a religious event experienced in the US.)
    Virginity is also used the shame women (for not having it) and men (for having it). When there is nothing special about it.
    There is nothing empowering about virginity it is a matter of choice .Empower is when the PM instructs the minister for education to charge students for their uni education and students can kick off all they like but will not beat the establishment.

Ever thought that the girl is living with her parents and being subsidised and the father does not want her knocked up by the high school team captain who has been all through the girls and has the anti biotic to prove it. she is not forced to conform with the chastity ball she can leave home of her own free will and accord and make her own way in life.. You can not bring shame on yourself by being a virgin only respect because you are not giving it away. freely

OTS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver001)
    The main fault in your argument is the fact that humans are NOT dogs. You aren't teaching anyone any tricks.
    Are you telling that a virgin and a 'player' cannot form a family? Why? Just because someone slept with many people before committing to a relationship doesn't mean they will keep sleeping with other people.

Here me out, people; as long as someone doesn't cheat in a relationship (a thing I know virgins also tend to do), it shouldn't bother you if they slept with several other people before you!

In fact, obsession with virginity and glorifying being the one 'popping someone's cherry' is leading to premature intercourse in relationships when one or both partners are not ready, leading to underwhelming and unsatisfactory sex.
    Firstly it is not an argument, the terms used were an analogy, even a half wit knows a dog is not a human (although some dogs seem smarter than humans).

Of course a player and a virgin can form a family, but how long would it last? As with a nymphomaniac if her needs are not satisfied she looks elsewhere Players are not like tom cats after they have had their nutz lopped off and stay at home, even with a regular partner they are out playing the field.

When you say you know virgins cheat are you saying they are having sexual intercourse behind their regular partners back (as this would not make them a virgin unless his wiener is so small it did not breach the hymen).

Those who think about "popping the cherry" do not show any respect to a woman.

It is not only premature sex that leads to underwhelming and unsatisfactory experience but most things you first try in life.
    OTS

ReputationRep:
    There was a play written by someone in the year above me, (he wrote it in his second year) called 'Losing it'. It's about a girl who sells her virginity online and decides to have sex with the buyer at a hotel, but as the scene progresses we discover they are both virgins!
    They eventually do have sex, but first they discuss why/how they have made it through their 20s as virgins! (Basically: He got on and studied, where as she was waiting for the right person, who never came along.)
    However the writer noted in their dialogue that socially: it's ok if you are in your teens and wish to wait, but when at university and are still unwilling you are frigid, and if you take it beyond then into your career then there is something wrong with you.
    The morale I took from that was we are becoming increasingly judgmental of people who may wish to hold onto their virginity into their twenties. It's shocking to hear of a 12 year old pregnancy, but apparently it's just as shocking to hear of a 30 year old virgin.
    Maybe we should go back to no sex before marriage and see how long the next generation can go before they lose their virginity.

ReputationRep:
    It's the symbol of nerd-hood, of course it's important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Agreed. Once you're 20+, it's too late.
    For what? I was 27!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    You implied so. You left out an integral part of my post, presumably because you concede that you were objectifying people who have a lot of sexual activity. Don't you see that by referring to a person as 'goods' you detract from the fact that they're a human being?
    People have been referred to as 'goods' ever since the slave-trade. And even though that was abolished roughly 200 years ago, 2 years ago it was discovered to be going on with immigrants, prostitutes and children who had to make money for their 'owners'.
    The females who work in strip clubs would also be referred to as 'goods'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withengar)
    Virginity is a social construct designed to shame people, especially women, for their sexuality. So no, it's not a big deal and it should be totally disregarded in polite conversation.
    you could be no more
    wrong virginity is pure it just means your holding out for the right person and you hold your body in hgh regard wheras those who arent do not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenHill)
    For what? I was 27!
    I was joking; I don't remember the context now. I guess seriousness or the lack of it is hard to detect when all you've got is text.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what and how do you feel yourself and of course depends on your culture, religion and how secure and confident you are about yourself.
    For me, it doesn't matter if the girl I'm with is a virgin or not. If she's not because she thought that she has met the prince and turned up to be just a frog then that's fine, but if she lost her virginity just because she like to sleep around or because she'd be weird and nerdy if she didn't, then yes I am sure that I will be concerned and have a second thoughts. ( PS, that's entirely my own opinion with no disrespect to anyone else).

Now. The nice thing about being a virgin ( male/female) is when you meet the right one. You will try different things in sex, experiment new things, you'll feel like a fool one day, you will laugh together another day and you'll be like a wild tiger one day else when you try something new and hits the spot. All these in my opinion will bond you more strong, and will help both to open up and give all of themselves into the relationship, as well in sex you discover a new side of yourself you never knew you can be.

It's sure would be better to be patient, to think and to understand this is your own life, your own decision to give up your virginity or not to anyone ( regardless your age) that will not change the person you are. Also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by on the square)
    There is nothing empowering about virginity it is a matter of choice .Empower is when the PM instructs the minister for education to charge students for their uni education and students can kick off all they like but will not beat the establishment.

Ever thought that the girl is living with her parents and being subsidised and the father does not want her knocked up by the high school team captain who has been all through the girls and has the anti biotic to prove it. she is not forced to conform with the chastity ball she can leave home of her own free will and accord and make her own way in life.. You can not bring shame on yourself by being a virgin only respect because you are not giving it away. freely

OTS.
    There is a reason I put empowering in quotes. I do not believe in virginity making someone better than non-virgins.

1. having sex is not the same thing as being a notch in the bedpost of the football captain. This is a logical fallacy "she's a good girl because she doesn't want to lose her virginity to a guy who's had sex with 20 other girls"
    2.Some of these girls have been brainwashed into thinking their worth is directly tied to their virginity. As in, they are a terrible person if they lose their virginity to someone before marriage.
    3. Most of the girls who take part in chastity/purity balls are under the age of 16. Do you suggest they run away from home at the age of 11? Because they certainly don't have the "own free will" you are talking about http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...dge-abstinence
    4. No one really cares whether or not you're a virgin. It won't bring you respect and you won't lose respect because you aren't a virgin. Don't shame people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iliriana)
    If yes/no, why?
    (refer to religious arguments when giving your opinion- JOKE)
    Nope.

Unless they are underage, then it does kinda matter...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.