Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Speaker declares Trump too racist and sexist to speak in Westminster Hall Watch

• View Poll Results: Is Speaker Bercow right to refuse President Trump?
    Yes
    62.46%
    No
    27.87%
    Not sure
    9.66%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The Nobel Prize for Peace is one of the longest standing political jokes. Although they've done some good ones (Mandela for example), they've also made truly ludicrous awards that could only be justified in some bizarre Scandiwegian academic mindset in consultation with global plutocratic secret forces.

As US comedian Tom Lehrer once said, "When Kissinger won the Nobel peace prize, satire died."
    You can get one for invading Cuba (1906) or Mexico (1919) or for terrorism (1978) & (1994 x2) or for ethnic cleansing (1991)

ReputationRep:
    Wow. :eek4:

Speaker Bercow has declared Trump to be too sexist and racist to be permitted to speak to Parliament.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-live-updates

Take that and chew on it, Trump! :lol:

This must be a first for a very long time - a Speaker of the British Parliament denying speaking rights to the American President, due to his unsuitable conduct.

If it wasn't tragic, it would be funny.
    It is not Bercow's job to make decisions or have influence over whether Trump's state visit goes ahead or not. He has interfered where he shouldn't have and ought to have kept his mouth shut.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, he's nice to us.

Shame about Mexico... and anywhere non-majority white.
    Absolutely, this is totally about race and culture.

There are estimated to be more than 11 million illegal immigrants living in the US of which more than half originate from Mexico. And there are more than 55 million legalised Hispanic US citizens.

Trump has announced measures which attempt to prevent millions more joining them as the years go by. And of course to ensure that those deported, stay deported.

It should have been done decades ago. And is to be applauded.

Good on him for trying, but it is probably too late. There are many demographic forecasts which suggest that Hispanics will overtake whites as the largest single minority group in the US in our lifetimes.

Since Hispanics (unlike other immigrant groups) insist on preserving their language, the US will eventually become an officially Spanish speaking country, and since politics is now only about culture and identity, English speaking whites will lose the political dominance they have exercised since the War of Independence.

Fear of white eclipse is a huge explanation for Trump's election in the first place. I don't see how you understand or explain it otherwise.

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    Absolutely, this is totally about race and culture.

There are estimated to be more than 11 million illegal immigrants living in the US of which more than half originate from Mexico. And there are more than 55 million legalised Hispanic US citizens.

Trump has announced measures which attempt to prevent millions more joining them as the years go by. And of course to ensure that those deported, stay deported.

It should have been done decades ago. And is to be applauded.

Good on him for trying, but it is probably too late. There are many demographic forecasts which suggest that Hispanics will overtake whites as the largest single minority group in the US in our lifetimes.

Since Hispanics (unlike other immigrant groups) insist on preserving their language, the US will eventually become an officially Spanish speaking country, and since politics is now only about culture and identity, English speaking whites will lose the political dominance they have exercised since the War of Independence.

Fear of white eclipse is a huge explanation for Trump's election in the first place. I don't see how you understand or explain it otherwise.
    Let's say this happens in the very long term. So what? "English speaking white" immigrants dominated the indigenous americans for centuries. Geodemographics change and evolve all the time. Angles and Saxons weren't exactly British where they...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    You can get one for invading Cuba (1906) or Mexico (1919) or for terrorism (1978) & (1994 x2) or for ethnic cleansing (1991)
    TBF, the Muslims in Myanmar issue came up a long time later - if retrospective downmarking for recent crimes was a thing, there would be a lot more retraction of awards! Shades of our paedophile stars, etc.

Agreed though that many of the Peace Nobels are quite a stretch and one has to have extremely broad definitions of 'peacemaker'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batgirl98)
    It is not Bercow's job to make decisions or have influence over whether Trump's state visit goes ahead or not. He has interfered where he shouldn't have and ought to have kept his mouth shut.
    Actually it is his decision, along with the Speaker of the Lords. The issue is being widely seen as him not keeping quiet about that, but personally I think he's right to be public and vocal about it, we no longer live in an age of smoke filled rooms and gentleman's clubs.

ReputationRep:
    How stupid! I liked Bercow up until this.. he's meant to remain politically neutral, also what has happened to free speech? It's only accepted when the lefties agree with what ur saying :/

ReputationRep:
    I think he's right to be public and vocal about it,
    Quite right! By the same token you will be trumpeting all your peccadilloes when you start applying for jobs, making sure that recruitment decisions are carried out by potential employers in the full light of day. You'll be making it clear at interviews how you would rather not work with old fuddy-duddies that don't believe in university-like safe spaces, and pointing out the competing candidates that belong to ethnic minorities so they get a fair crack of the whip against you, won't you?

There is an argument that one would rather an idiot is inside the tent pissing out in preference to having one outside who is pissing in. Unfortunately, Bercow is inside the tent, and he's splashing everyone's boots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It is ironic that Bercow raised no objections to previous leaders with responsibility for racist and sexist policies speaking (the Pope, Aung San Suu KYi, Xi Jinping, and the Emir of Kuwait, for instance).

He appears to have recently caught Snowflake's Syndrome, under which the sufferer cannot hear opinions disagreeable to him, or even hear their owners speak on other matters, lest he melts.

There appears to be a conspiracy afoot to make countries look foolish and to damage their prospects. First the Americans elect Trump, now Bercow publishes an opinion that could have sensibly and productively remained private.
    I hate this cheap virtue signalling. It's the same as Sarbuck and Google denouncing #MuslimBan but also dodging taxes at a huge scale.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just saying, what is the point of these polls on here? This is The Student Room, so you know the result is going to be the most "left-wing" answer, which isn't necesarily what everyone else who isn't a student thinks. Not saying an opinion of it, I'm just saying I think this is what they're talking about when they say about people living in a bubble, there is absolutely no point of these polls other than to reinforce what most students see as common sense and keep them closed-minded to other ideas because they see no need to consider anything else a posibility when it's blatantly obvious to them that their view is right because look 70% of students (coincidentally also the loudest 70%) think is how [insert political thing here] should be.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, deny the President of the United States the right to speak in the hall and call him a racist and a sexist. Very wise diplomatic move. Will be great for US-UK relations. Keep it up.

I mean, virtue signal and be as self-righteous as you want, but try looking at the bigger picture before snubbing and insulting the president of the most powerful country in the world, would you? Grit your teeth and remember the office (and the power) Trump holds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Let's say this happens in the very long term. So what? "English speaking white" immigrants dominated the indigenous americans for centuries. Geodemographics change and evolve all the time. Angles and Saxons weren't exactly British where they...
    Yes they do.

But as someone who is "Anglo-Saxon" myself, I don't see why it is illogical to decry its cultural and political eclipse on both sides of the Atlantic.

Surely it is more illogical to welcome the demise of your own culture?

Of course you may not be Anglo-Saxon. If not my apologies for ever considering you might be guilty of the possession of such a heinous culture and ethnicity. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Quite right! By the same token you will be trumpeting all your peccadilloes when you start applying for jobs, making sure that recruitment decisions are carried out by potential employers in the full light of day. You'll be making it clear at interviews how you would rather not work with old fuddy-duddies that don't believe in university-like safe spaces, and pointing out the competing candidates that belong to ethnic minorities so they get a fair crack of the whip against you, won't you?

There is an argument that one would rather an idiot is inside the tent pissing out in preference to having one outside who is pissing in. Unfortunately, Bercow is inside the tent, and he's splashing everyone's boots.
    I don't understand your line of argument. Bercow is the Speaker of the House of Commons, the leading political body in Britain. There's a world of difference between openness in that context and the context of an ordinary person going for job interviews.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do.

But as someone who is "Anglo-Saxon" myself, I don't see why it is illogical to decry its cultural and political eclipse on both sides of the Atlantic.

Of course you may not be Anglo-Saxon. If not my apologies for ever considering you might be guilty of the possession of such a heinous culture and ethnicity. :rolleyes:
    I'm a celt. Another invader.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand your line of argument. Bercow is the Speaker of the House of Commons, the leading political body in Britain. There's a world of difference between openness in that context and the context of an ordinary person going for job interviews.
    Openness is openness. Only a hypocrite would ask for candour from others but not provide it themselves.

Bercow is an elected MP and a political leader. His allegiance is to the UK. and he should not be damaging its interests with childish and needless virtue-signalling prognostications.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do.

Or perhaps people should start caring less about ones culture and background...

The right are just as bad as the left with this nonsense about 'ruining our culture'.

You're basically championing identity politics now, having criticised the left for doing the same. You're a right wing SJW.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Openness is openness. Only a hypocrite would ask for candour from others but not provide it themselves.

Bercow is an elected MP and a political leader. His allegiance is to the UK. and he should not be damaging its interests with childish and needless virtue-signalling prognostications.
    Sigh.

'Damaging its interests', do me a favour and spare everyone the meaningless cliches.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it is his decision, along with the Speaker of the Lords. The issue is being widely seen as him not keeping quiet about that, but personally I think he's right to be public and vocal about it, we no longer live in an age of smoke filled rooms and gentleman's clubs.

He responded to a planted question, having tipped off the press in advance, so that everyone could witness his grandstanding answer.

To a question which was academic since we don't know that the Government were going to suggest it, or if Trump was even going to ask for it. He likely wouldn't want to address both Houses , since it would be an opportunity for some head banger SNP and Labour MP's to be discourteous to him.

The guy is widely seen by MP's as a buffoon. Now we are all getting an inkling why...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)

I mean, virtue signal and be as self-righteous as you want, but try looking at the bigger picture before snubbing and insulting

Because the President has never insulted anyone....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Sigh.

'Damaging its interests', do me a favour and spare everyone the meaningless cliches.
    Cliche, it may or may not be. True, it certainly is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.